Jump to content

T-Band auction may not happen


red_dog007
 Share

Recommended Posts

470-512MHz. Congress authorized the sale of T-Band in 2012 to be auctioned by 2022 with a 2 year relocation process.  FCC is now asking congress to scrap the plan.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fccs-pai-joins-call-for-congress-to-ax-t-band-auction

https://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/docs/T-Band_FactSheet_July2016.pdf

Specifically 11 cities public safety are impacted.  However, I imagine that the equipment would support public safety 450-470MHz.  

Currently 470-512 is not part of any LTE bands.

It also covers TV spectrum channels 14-20. That would leave 16 channels (96MHz) left for TV in UHF.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So that would have allowed an additional l 42 MHz of low band spectrum to be auctioned?  If there is not another paired frequency in the 500 MHz range to match that 42 MHz then it is pretty useless.  That would indicate if you sell it as FDD that the most they can sell is two or three maybe 5x5 MHz blocks which is not enough for OEMS to generate hardware for that anyways.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ericdabbs said:

So that would have allowed an additional l 42 MHz of low band spectrum to be auctioned?  If there is not another paired frequency in the 500 MHz range to match that 42 MHz then it is pretty useless.  That would indicate if you sell it as FDD that the most they can sell is two or three maybe 5x5 MHz blocks which is not enough for OEMS to generate hardware for that anyways.  

42 MHz could easily be 3 5x5 Blocks with 12 MHz of unpaired spectrum in the middle.  This would be almost identical to the lower 700 MHz band plan (B12/B17/B29):

700-MHz-Blocks-_v10.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RAvirani said:

42 MHz could easily be 3 5x5 Blocks with 12 MHz of unpaired spectrum in the middle.  This would be almost identical to the lower 700 MHz band plan (B12/B17/B29):

700-MHz-Blocks-_v10.png

I understand that but lets be honest unless you can get nationwide licenses its not really useful.  Also a 5x5 block is not that useful for speed or capacity and there is no way 1 carrier is going to grab all 3 5x5 blocks.  Tmobile would at most get 1 or 2 5x5 blocks since Dish would probably buy a 5x5 block.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ericdabbs said:

I understand that but lets be honest unless you can get nationwide licenses its not really useful.  Also a 5x5 block is not that useful for speed or capacity and there is no way 1 carrier is going to grab all 3 5x5 blocks.  Tmobile would at most get 1 or 2 5x5 blocks since Dish would probably buy a 5x5 block.  

T-Mobile likely wouldn't bid as they have 45-55 MHz of lowband on average (B12/B71). Nor would AT&T with 60-70 MHz of lowband on average (B12/B14/B29/B5).

The next lowband auction will be dominated by Verizon, Dish and possibly Sprint if they're still around and have the money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

T-Mobile likely wouldn't bid as they have 45-55 MHz of lowband on average (B12/B71). Nor would AT&T with 60-70 MHz of lowband on average (B12/B14/B29/B5).

The next lowband auction will be dominated by Verizon, Dish and possibly Sprint if they're still around and have the money. 

Screw that.  I am not in favor of Verizon getting more low band spectrum when they have enough already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ericdabbs said:

Screw that.  I am not in favor of Verizon getting more low band spectrum when they have enough already.

Verizon has far less lowband spectrum than either AT&T or T-Mobile.  They average 30-40 MHz (B13/B5).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no more than 18 MHz available in any given individual market in T-Band, much of which is non-contiguous and some of which is impaired.  It's only reserved in a handful of markets, and in many of those, is only 6 MHz.

New York:  18 MHz
Los Angeles:  6+6+6 MHz
Chicago:  12 MHz
Philadelphia:  12 MHz
Dallas:  6 MHz
Houston:  6 MHz
Miami:  6 MHz
San Francisco:  12 MHz
Washington, DC:  12 MHz
Pittsburgh:  6+6 MHz
Boston:  6+6 MHz

I'm not really sure what Congress was hoping to be able to sell in the first place.

- Trip

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forced relocation for all current license holders. Proceeds of the auction are/were to cover relocation costs. But I don't even think Congress put a use limitation on it.  Seems like it would be left up to the FCC to do whatever they wanted with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Author kinda doesn't know what they're talking about, as they assumed their speeds were n71-only (it's like they half-read the PCMag article they cite). The speeds they're mentioning are 100% from n71 + n66 SDL, which also explains speeds dropping off a cliff when they walk indoors. In fact, Dish has some paired AWS-3 in Spokane, albeit just 5x5, so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't bothered deploying that and are just doing 71 + n66 SDL (the former at 5x5). May head down to San Marcos and New Braunfels tonight to do some testing. I expect either n71-only or n71 + SDL, not sure which. n71 is 5x5 here as Dish has leased half of their 10x10 to T-Mobile. When that lease expires they'll be at 10x10, and they could get another 10 MHz FD (albeit not contiguous) from speculators if T-Mobile didn't outbid them. Will be interesting to see who buys what when.
    • The Verge wrote an article on Dish’s network.    https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/1/23188077/dish-wireless-project-genesis-first-week-testing-speeds-coverage
    • I guess that makes sense. I know that ZiplyFiber (my ISP) has had issues with sourcing fiber as well.  Also, that recently upgraded site is interesting. NOt only does it have a strange eNB value, 236960, which  is different from the ones usually around here but also, all of the LTE bands (including B41) are on the same eNB. This is the first time I have seen  T-Mobile do that in this area.  Also found another upgraded site, eNB 84770, by FireStation 26 has been upgraded with B71/n71 (no n41). 
    • Almost the exact same thing happened on my Verizon Galaxy Flip a couple days ago. 
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...