Jump to content

When will handset makers stop supporting CDMA


bigsnake49
 Share

Recommended Posts

When will Qualcomm stop putting it in their chipsets? Intel? When will Apple or Samsung stop supporting in their handsets?
When vzw and Sprint shut it down then yeah there's not reason to support it after that. I have heard vzw will stop activateing non VOLTE devices.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

When vzw and Sprint shut it down then yeah there's not reason to support it after that. I have heard vzw will stop activateing non VOLTE devices.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

They (Verizon) will not activate CDMA only devices after July 1, 2018. They will shutdown their CDMA network to consumer devices on Dec 31st 2019 but will keep their CDMA network available for M2M customers until 2022. So Sprint customers have until then to roam on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not as quickly as you think. China Telecom for example still has 250 million customers on their CDMA/LTE network. China won't be phasing out their 2G networks anytime soon, their 3G networks will go first (W-CDMA and especially TD-SCDMA). CDMA's 3G and 2G are compatible standards so will maintain that as well. Between them and Sprint, CDMA will survive, but it will be niche.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not as quickly as you think. China Telecom for example still has 250 million customers on their CDMA/LTE network. China won't be phasing out their 2G networks anytime soon, their 3G networks will go first (W-CDMA and especially TD-SCDMA). CDMA's 3G and 2G are compatible standards so will maintain that as well. Between them and Sprint, CDMA will survive, but it will be niche.
I thought the US was the only ones with CDMA still left and that everyone was GSM?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I thought the US was the only ones with CDMA still left and that everyone was GSM?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

KDDI in Japan still has their CDMA network. Verizon is tired of paying Qualcomm royalties on top of paying Billions of dollars for Qualcomm equipment.

Edited by bigsnake49
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Companies are going to be paying fees to Qualcomm anyway given how many patents and licenses they own for 5G-NR too. Also Qualcomm's integrated modems in their chipsets are better than anything else on the market so I'm in no rush to replace them. Samsung's Exynos chipset wasn't the best compared to the Snapdragon 845 on this most recent round of flagships. It had battery life problems and slightly worse performance despite being the better chipset on paper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, Tengen31 said:

I thought the US was the only ones with CDMA still left and that everyone was GSM?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

As bigsnake said, KDDI still has their network in Japan, there are a few European operators that still have 450mhz CDMA networks for critical use and rural/low-population areas, and, as I mentioned, the largest CDMA operator in the world, China Telecom.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2018 at 12:53 AM, Thomas L. said:

As bigsnake said, KDDI still has their network in Japan, there are a few European operators that still have 450mhz CDMA networks for critical use and rural/low-population areas, and, as I mentioned, the largest CDMA operator in the world, China Telecom.

Digicomm is repurposing CDMA450 for electric utilities.

https://www.digicomm.de/en/news/cdma-new-mobile-network-for-utilities/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

is it ok to ask in this topic or should i start a new one 

i have a moto g4 play  witch doint seem to have voice over lte unless it is not enable how to tell how long it would work on the network  it is on  tello

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mattp said:

is it ok to ask in this topic or should i start a new one 

i have a moto g4 play  witch doint seem to have voice over lte unless it is not enable how to tell how long it would work on the network  it is on  tello

Well, if CDMA will go away, VOLTE will be enabled on all. If the merger goes through, T-mobile will sunset CDMA quickly. They might leave 1x800 on for a little while longer. I would not worry about it right now. I am sure they will offer generous incentives to purchase a new handset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bigsnake49 said:

Well, if CDMA will go away, VOLTE will be enabled on all. If the merger goes through, T-mobile will sunset CDMA quickly. They might leave 1x800 on for a little while longer. I would not worry about it right now. I am sure they will offer generous incentives to purchase a new handset.

i doint buy one on contrack or see any new one i like to buy it only do pre paid cell phone plan so a new phone is a lot of mony for me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...