small cells cost

laqn1283

Small cells range anywhere from 5 to 10 thousand per site!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

My estimate was higher about 15 thousand per site.  The reason I ask is that then it will cost about 750 million (which is less than 1/5 of sprint's annual capital expenditure) to install 50 thousand small cells nationwide, why Sprint is so secretive about it? why it takes so long?  they started thinking about small cells more than 1 year already but so far very little is going on.  If the delay is about cost, then I think sprint is making a big mistake.  For  750 million, it can leap frog Sprint to the top ranking, the cost benefit ratio is just too obvious. 

My estimate was higher about 15 thousand per site. The reason I ask is that then it will cost about 750 million (which is less than 1/5 of sprint's annual capital expenditure) to install 50 thousand small cells nationwide, why Sprint is so secretive about it? why it takes so long? they started thinking about small cells more than 1 year already but so far very little is going on. If the delay is about cost, then I think sprint is making a big mistake. For 750 million, it can leap frog Sprint to the top ranking, the cost benefit ratio is just too obvious.

Sprint is being very strategic..... sprint is only rolling it out in main priority markets.... (which markets those are idk).....yes, sprint is cash strapped but i have no facts of course...

My estimate was higher about 15 thousand per site. The reason I ask is that then it will cost about 750 million (which is less than 1/5 of sprint's annual capital expenditure) to install 50 thousand small cells nationwide, why Sprint is so secretive about it? why it takes so long? they started thinking about small cells more than 1 year already but so far very little is going on. If the delay is about cost, then I think sprint is making a big mistake. For 750 million, it can leap frog Sprint to the top ranking, the cost benefit ratio is just too obvious.

Small cells are usually installed every mile and a half... so im sure the cost is a lot higher!

I got the number from fierce wireless. Each small cell cost about 10 to 20 thousand and sprint wants 50000 small cells and 20000 macro cells.

Where did you get the 20000 number. They haven't talked about macro sites for quite a while. If they do manage to add that many macro sites that would average 383 for each of there 52 markets. To me that would go far beyond densification and would indicate a network expansion, which I haven't heard sprint talk about at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get the 20000 number. They haven't talked about macro sites for quite a while. If they do manage to add that many macro sites that would average 383 for each of there 52 markets. To me that would go far beyond densification and would indicate a network expansion, which I haven't heard sprint talk about at all.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-382-sprint-planning-large-network-expansion-adding-9000-new-lte-sites-nationwide/

9,000 new sites, ~10k Wimax conversions.

EDIT: Here's second source.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-add-tens-thousands-small-cells-bring-800-mhz-and-25-ghz-lte-nearly-a/2015-08-04

• Like 1

Yeah but I don't think sprint is still planning on executing this plan in its entirety. I think I can say with confidence that sprint hasn't mentioned macro sites specifically since the first quarter of last year. All their talk since then has centered around small cells. I could be mistaken but I don't think they will be adding that many Marco sites.

• Like 1

Yeah but I don't think sprint is still planning on executing this plan in its entirety. I think I can say with confidence that sprint hasn't mentioned macro sites specifically since the first quarter of last year. All their talk since then has centered around small cells. I could be mistaken but I don't think they will be adding that many Marco sites.

They will.
  • Like 4

They will.

Please tell me you have a source. I read my comments from over 6 months ago and nothing new has happened since I expressed my skepticism then. Still 0.8mbps on LTE around me and rootmetrics results has gone down on average.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Please tell me you have a source. I read my comments from over 6 months ago and nothing new has happened since I expressed my skepticism then. Still 0.8mbps on LTE around me and rootmetrics results has gone down on average.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Please stay on tmobile and forget about sprint. You don't need to believe comments from a sprint apologist like me.

My estimate was higher about 15 thousand per site.  The reason I ask is that then it will cost about 750 million (which is less than 1/5 of sprint's annual capital expenditure) to install 50 thousand small cells nationwide, why Sprint is so secretive about it? why it takes so long?  they started thinking about small cells more than 1 year already but so far very little is going on.  If the delay is about cost, then I think sprint is making a big mistake.  For  750 million, it can leap frog Sprint to the top ranking, the cost benefit ratio is just too obvious. 

Because Sprint doesn't have to tell everyone every time a bird craps on a cell site.

The changes will be a lot more transparent than the original NV project with hard customer issues. One morning coverage will magically get better. Today a user reported the second B41 carrier in NYC, overnight the capacity of that site doubled and it didn't need an announcement. 

They will.

Do you have more information such as which markets are the priority markets?  You don't have to tell us which markets, but a yes or no will suffice.  :tu:

I'm in Houston and Sprint has always taken care of Houston early.  I hope that trend continues.

Because Sprint doesn't have to tell everyone every time a bird craps on a cell site.

The changes will be a lot more transparent than the original NV project with hard customer issues. One morning coverage will magically get better. Today a user reported the second B41 carrier in NYC, overnight the capacity of that site doubled and it didn't need an announcement.

I agree with you they don't have to make an announcement but so far channel checks by analyst reveal little movement in small cells densification.

Sprint's (S) CEO Marcelo Claure on Q3 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

We’ve been very clear that we’re going to do that without jeopardizing the customer experience. And the way we’re expanding network is we’re utilizing something that we call the lowest cost structure.

But for all the new structures that we need, we basically look at what is available to us in order for us to deploy our equipment. We look at towers. We look at build-to-suit. We look at rooftops. We look at our own monopoles and we look at different pole attachments, and then we choose what is the most efficient way for us to expand.

The other opportunity is obviously roaming. We intend to overbuild high roaming areas and reduce our roaming cost that way. We are also working with our CCA partners in the rural markets for extending LTE footprints.

As Marcelo has mentioned, we are going to be very opportunistic to look at opportunities to optimize our antennas on lower cost infrastructure to reduce operating costs. This could include pole attachments, rooftops, macro sites or public infrastructure that delivers similar or better performance and lower costs.

• Like 2

I agree with you they don't have to make an announcement but so far channel checks by analyst reveal little movement in small cells densification.

But absence of checks does not mean absence of work done.

There could be 20 small cells on air right now in NYC helping capacity and no one would know it other than the users there who now have a more functional device.

That's my point.

Do you have more information such as which markets are the priority markets? You don't have to tell us which markets, but a yes or no will suffice. :tu:

I'm in Houston and Sprint has always taken care of Houston early. I hope that trend continues.

Nobody really knows even these tech blogs don't know 100%.

Marcelo went to Japan last year to get funding for it...