Sprint 800 MHz LTE Set For Launch In 2014

I too share some frustration that devices this year do not support 800 LTE. But I have gotten over it now. I think my biggest concern about not having 800 LTE was capacity issues. I don't want to have a device that is stuck on the sole 1900 LTE carrier that is full, when a completely unburdened 800 LTE carrier goes live that I won't be able to access. But now that I know that Sprint has plans for more 1900 LTE carriers, that doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

Robert

• Like 3

I too share some frustration that devices this year do not support 800 LTE. But I have gotten over it now. I think my biggest concern about not having 800 LTE was capacity issues. I don't want to have a device that is stuck on the sole 1900 LTE carrier that is full' date=' when a completely unburdened 800 LTE carrier goes live that I won't be able to access. But now that I know that Sprint has plans for more 1900 LTE carriers, that doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

Robert[/quote']

Once they complete the rollout of LTE and they get most people over to LTE equipped smartphones, they won't have much use for extra EVDO capacity anymore. They could get by with minimal EVDO and then eventually shut it down too by the end of the decade.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

I too share some frustration that devices this year do not support 800 LTE. But I have gotten over it now. I think my biggest concern about not having 800 LTE was capacity issues. I don't want to have a device that is stuck on the sole 1900 LTE carrier that is full, when a completely unburdened 800 LTE carrier goes live that I won't be able to access. But now that I know that Sprint has plans for more 1900 LTE carriers, that doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

Robert

Heh, kind of funny now that I think about it. Here I am discussing future plans for LTE deployment on the 800 Band thats not even free yet. When I know I would Dance and throw a block party if I could just get 500kbps speed on 3G in the daytime.

• Like 6

Heh, kind of funny now that I think about it. Here I am discussing future plans for LTE deployment on the 800 Band thats not even free yet. When I know I would Dance and throw a block party if I could just get 500kbps speed on 3G in the daytime.

+1

Yeah, if Sprint could just get their existing network working properly I'd do the jig.

+1

Yeah' date=' if Sprint could just get their existing network working properly I'd do the jig.[/quote']

They will soon enough. But unfortunately, there will always be unhappy people. That's how I was with AT&T, lol. But I won't be unhappy with NV when it's complete.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

Like I said, I understand what you are saying. Just saying that If Sprint knew that it would be coming that soon, (or if they were planning it that soon), why they wouldn't try to have their new phones, (not even released), try and support it.

When is was hinted at coming in 2014 or so, it was really no big deal, as the phones coming out now would be off contract by the time it rolled out and picking up a new one that supported both bands would make sense. Now that it looks like they will be rolling out only halfway into the new LTE phones contracts it kind of seems like bad planning.

Also, want to make clear I'm not upset about it, and it won't sway my purchasing decision any. Just trying to understand thier reasoning behind not including it in LTE phones now. Well, I can understand the nexus as its really last years phone. But to not include it in like the El-Tevo which was still in development doesn't make sense.

I think supporting LTE @ 800MHz would have caused their current crop of phones (GNex, Viper, EVO 4G LTE) and the unannounced LTE phones to slip in schedule.

I also might guess that sprint might be waiting for LTE-Advanced capable handsets before supporting 800MHz (maybe Robert knows?)

Sprint is already very behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of handsets - I doubt that they want to slip back even further.

That's probably the biggest driver. For most people, it isn't going to matter anyway. Older LTE phones on 1900 will still benefit from newer phones on 800, as based on capacity, they should default to 800MHz leaving more room for legacy LTE on 1900MHz customers.

Frankly, I am just glad they are getting LTE phones out the door now, not later.

We need tools, not toys. lol.

I also might guess that sprint might be waiting for LTE-Advanced capable handsets before supporting 800MHz (maybe Robert knows?)

This is the most compelling hypothesis about LTE 800 device support (or lack thereof). And, to corroborate the hypothesis, the Sprint Network Vision roadmap has LTE 800 and LTE Advanced carrier aggregation coming online at approximately the same time. Coincidence or not?

AJ

• Like 2

This is the most compelling hypothesis about LTE 800 device support (or lack thereof). And, to corroborate the hypothesis, the Sprint Network Vision roadmap has LTE 800 and LTE Advanced carrier aggregation coming online at approximately the same time. Coincidence or not?

AJ

Then that makes perfect sense as to why LTE 800 devices aren't ready. I wonder what kind of devices they will be coming up with by the time LTE Advanced is ready.

I would also add that I noted in a recent FCC filing that LTE band class 26 (superset of 800/850 MHz band classes 5, 6, 18, 19) has been ratified as of March 1. Sprint's initial batch of LTE handsets, though, were already locked in by that point.

AJ

• Like 1

Then that makes perfect sense as to why LTE 800 devices aren't ready. I wonder what kind of devices they will be coming up with by the time LTE Advanced is ready.

The next EVO of course...possibly a S5 chip...quadcore 28nm beast...with LTE Advance support?...guessing that's qualcomms next move to add that to the MSM line of SoC's since its only recently in their MDM line...

Just thinking a lil and that'll put Sprint having the next EVO's "first" be that of LTE Advance phone support...

That is less VZ or ATT has plans to use those new Gobi MDM chips that support it before...only reason to use those is if ur using a different main SoC though that has not built in modems...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Increased package (chip) count doesn’t go hand in hand with slim and cost savings. The future of devices to support the proposed LTE updates will be most interesting indeed.

Increased package (chip) count doesn’t go hand in hand with slim and cost savings. The future of devices to support the proposed LTE updates will be most interesting indeed.

yeah deff agree on the whole chip count. Only reason I mentioned the quad-core is b/c thats the only one rumored to be int he S5 tree that "could" handle LTE-Advance...Also one of only 2 chips that have been leaked from their roadmap in the pipeline....though this leak was July of last year, its still the only thing mentioned past the current lineup of chips already announced that I've seen.

The leak mentioned an MSM8974 chip which was slated for '13 early release...The chip mentioned upping to LTE Cat4 support, and given the latest Gobi chips announced I would only assume they would include LTE-Advance too in this SoC...

http://www.mobiletec...specifications/

If not then I would have to guess that Sprint/HTC will end up having to include the MDM9625 chip along side the regular SoC in the next EVO device to gain LTE-Advance support...

Regardless like you say the next devices and chips included will be very interesting indeed...

Note:

B/c the leak was so long ago you have to take it with a grain of salt I guess but still its the only thing out there leak wise at the current time so it leaves the door open to the possibilities of the next gen SoC's from Qualcomm....

• Like 1

Probably has been posted 10x already, but doesn't pretty much all of our phones already have 800mhz CDMA support already?

Nope not many have the support for it to be honest...only the most recent ones past the 3D have it to my knowledge ...

I just remember my 1st phone, Samsung 660 having something about CDMA 800?

http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-phones/samsung-a660/specs/

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=365

I know 0 about that phone so maybe someone else can answer that one for you....

fubka, the "CDMA 800" capability in that 10 year old Samsung is what we now refer to as CDMA 850. In other words, it is the Cellular band, not the SMR band.

AJ

Alright, just remember reading that about 10 years ago...

So when my current phone roams, what frequency is that on? It's amazing how 1xRTT roaming can beat out Sprint 3g with full bars on download speeds.

OK, so that 800 spec on the Evo and 3vo are in the same boat - n/a??

Pretty sure the 800 listed on the 3VO includes the SMR band, so it should be good to go. As far as I know, most of the newer phones are included... Although I have heard the iPhone and Photon got left out.

• Like 1

what's a 3vo? Is that the l33t way of saying evo?

Evo 3D, coined by AndroidForums member Candyman. It's pronounced three-vo.

EL TEvo was coined by AM2 from the name LTEvo (lte evo) by drexappeal, also members there.

Sorry for the shorthand, no l33t intentions, just habits, especially after seeing EL TEvo used here. :)

Edited by EarlyMon
  • Like 1