Best option for those who like to upgrade phones yearly?

Thomas L.

In my case, I buy my phones on EasyPay. When I'm ready for a new one, I start a new line of service with a new, throwaway number, then swap the numbers between my new phone and old phone. Then, I cancel the line on my old phone, sell the phone on eBay, and pay off EasyPay on my next bill. This system has always worked pretty well in my case. Note that you do stand to lose some money from time to time, particularly if you're selling an Android phone - they just don't retain their value as well as Apple's products.

• Like 2

In my case, I buy my phones on EasyPay. When I'm ready for a new one, I start a new line of service with a new, throwaway number, then swap the numbers between my new phone and old phone. Then, I cancel the line on my old phone, sell the phone on eBay, and pay off EasyPay on my next bill. This system has always worked pretty well in my case. Note that you do stand to lose some money from time to time, particularly if you're selling an Android phone - they just don't retain their value as well as Apple's products.

Would you mind explaining that in a little more detail.  I've always stayed away from the EasyPay options and stuck with 2 year agreements.  My wife's S5 is getting a little long in the tooth already (I know, a little nuts) and I received an offer to upgrade using EasyPay for a limited time.  It sounds like you are creating a new line with EasyPay, closing out the old account and then just continuing to do that.  Once you finish payments on the EasyPay you are no longer "tied" to that account / number?  Is that correct?  You are in turn paying full price for the phone (MSRP), but you are able to sell your old phone for a decent profit if it is ~1 year old.  Also, do you all know anything about this promotion?  Not trying to thread jack, it is related to getting a new phone every year...

Congratulations! For a limited time, you're eligible to upgrade your phone when you sign up for Easy Pay monthly installments or our Sprint Lease option with no service agreement. Or, upgrade with a new 2-year service agreement on 05/01/2016.

• Like 1

Would you mind explaining that in a little more detail.  I've always stayed away from the EasyPay options and stuck with 2 year agreements.  My wife's S5 is getting a little long in the tooth already (I know, a little nuts) and I received an offer to upgrade using EasyPay for a limited time.  It sounds like you are creating a new line with EasyPay, closing out the old account and then just continuing to do that.  Once you finish payments on the EasyPay you are no longer "tied" to that account / number?  Is that correct?  You are in turn paying full price for the phone (MSRP), but you are able to sell your old phone for a decent profit if it is ~1 year old.  Also, do you all know anything about this promotion?  Not trying to thread jack, it is related to getting a new phone every year...

Congratulations! For a limited time, you're eligible to upgrade your phone when you sign up for Easy Pay monthly installments or our Sprint Lease option with no service agreement. Or, upgrade with a new 2-year service agreement on 05/01/2016.

Hi! Sure thing! I'd be happy to.

I am indeed creating a new line with EasyPay on the same account as my existing line (which is also on EasyPay). Once the new line is created and I have both devices, I simply go into a Sprint store or use the online Sprint chat to swap the numbers between the two phones (so that my number is on the new device instead of the old one). Then, I terminate the phone number (line) that was moved to the old phone (but setup with the new phone). At this point, the full remainder of EasyPay payments are due on the old phone. So, for example, if I've had an HTC One M9 (which retails for $648 with 24 EasyPay payments of $27/month) and only made one monthly payment, when I cancel the line the remaining $621 balance immediately comes due. I pay this amount and sell the device on eBay or Swappa to try to retain as much of that as I can. 

Now, in terms of a decent profit - we all know the M9 is not a top seller. So I am going to lose a couple of hundred $$$ (at least) on this one! Ditto for most Samsung (nay, all Android) devices. Apple devices retain their values very well, I've found.

Not sure about that promotion as I was not offered anything like that (on account of my lines already being EasyPay). I would recommend taking it, particularly if you are looking at replacing the S5 anyway. Sounds like they might let you keep the existing phone, so you could turn around and sell it for at least $200. Plus, with EasyPay, you can always pay off your devices early and upgrade whenever you want - you definitely cannot do this on a contract!

Hope this info helps answer your questions. If not, let me know and I'd be glad to explain further.

• Like 1

I am indeed creating a new line with EasyPay on the same account as my existing line (which is also on EasyPay). Once the new line is created and I have both devices, I simply go into a Sprint store or use the online Sprint chat to swap the numbers between the two phones (so that my number is on the new device instead of the old one). Then, I terminate the phone number (line) that was moved to the old phone (but setup with the new phone). At this point, the full remainder of EasyPay payments are due on the old phone. So, for example, if I've had an HTC One M9 (which retails for $648 with 24 EasyPay payments of $27/month) and only made one monthly payment, when I cancel the line the remaining $621 balance immediately comes due. I pay this amount and sell the device on eBay or Swappa to try to retain as much of that as I can. 

Now, in terms of a decent profit - we all know the M9 is not a top seller. So I am going to lose a couple of hundred $$$ (at least) on this one! Ditto for most Samsung (nay, all Android) devices. Apple devices retain their values very well, I've found.

Not sure about that promotion as I was not offered anything like that (on account of my lines already being EasyPay). I would recommend taking it, particularly if you are looking at replacing the S5 anyway. Sounds like they might let you keep the existing phone, so you could turn around and sell it for at least $200. Plus, with EasyPay, you can always pay off your devices early and upgrade whenever you want - you definitely cannot do this on a contract!

Hope this info helps answer your questions. If not, let me know and I'd be glad to explain further.

This definitely helps.  I appreciate the detailed response.  I've got some more digging / research to do.  Thanks again.

Why wouldn't you just pay full price up front? This seems like way more of a hassle. I understand maybe you don't have the cash on hand, but it seems like a credit card would be much easier. The only way I would do this is if the phone was on sale via easy pay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right, just save 1 credit card with around 1k $ balance, you can buy your new device outright, swap it on to your existing #, then sell your old one business as usual.

Unless you hold that phone balance for more than a month, you typically don't pay much CC interest on it, and if you have a good credit card you can even get cashback/points/etc for doing it like that.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you just pay full price up front? This seems like way more of a hassle. I understand maybe you don't have the cash on hand, but it seems like a credit card would be much easier. The only way I would do this is if the phone was on sale via easy pay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure I could! But I don't. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So they stopped doing the "After a year, give your phone back and get another on Easy Pay" deal?

Any other options Sprint offers other than paying off what is left?

Is it then best to just buy them outright, use and then start over like the Poster above? 

The wife needs a new device as her G2 is old and slow.

I will probably want to get the new Huawei Nexus in November but will still owe $350.00 on my N6.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sprint employee info would be cool too.

Thanks in advance.

Mav.  :cool:

So they stopped doing the "After a year, give your phone back and get another on Easy Pay" deal?

I still have that option on Framily. I don't know about other plans. I think someone else mentioned a $10 a month add on to get yearly upgrades.

I just buy them outright, so I'm probably not the best one to ask lol. 

• Like 1

I started paying full price for my phone 2 years ago with the iPhone 5s. This way, I always have phone equity which allows me to easy pay the newest iPhone, sell the old one, pay off the new one, rinse and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 1