Which phone is best for the price?

htcguy

I am looking to get a new phone and I am unable to spend a lot so I am able to afford the more of the bottom Android phones.  The list is LG G3 Vigor, HTC Desire, and Sharp.  I really wanted the LG G3 but cant afford it at this time.  Sharp is new to me.  HTC I am familar with there phones, I have HTC EVO 4G LTE and the EVO 4G.  The LG G3 Vigor I have seen and heard has not so great reviews.  The sharp it too new for me to know and the HTC Desire I have not heard much about. Help please?  Thanks.

I am looking to get a new phone and I am unable to spend a lot so I am able to afford the more of the bottom Android phones.  The list is LG G3 Vigor, HTC Desire, and Sharp.  I really wanted the LG G3 but cant afford it at this time.  Sharp is new to me.  HTC I am familar with there phones, I have HTC EVO 4G LTE and the EVO 4G.  The LG G3 Vigor I have seen and heard has not so great reviews.  The sharp it too new for me to know and the HTC Desire I have not heard much about. Help please?  Thanks.

I've been using the Sharp AQUOS Crystal for almost 24 hours now.  Albeit a short time so far, this is a really solid budget device.  I cannot speak for the others, but I can definitely use this for a daily driver if I needed to.

• Like 2

nexus 5.

If you can't afford one direct from google, then check ebay/craigs list. Make sure its not from tmobile though, as they are apparently not white listed on sprints system so you won't be able to add them to your account.

• Like 2

nexus 5.

I agree.  Generally, you get what you pay for.  And by price, low to mid range Android handsets are a cheap, compromised bunch.  But the Nexus 5 -- even a year later -- punches well above its pay grade.

AJ

• Like 1

Does the nexus 5 have Spark?

Yes it supports all Sprint LTE bands. I have one and it has been fantastic so far. I have no plans to move to a new phone even with the latest and greatest phones being released right now. Plus there are 2 advantages you have right now: 1) people moving to the HUGE Nexus 6 might be putting them up for sale which may drop the current market price slightly and 2) Android 5.0 Lollipop will be coming to the device soon which apparently improves both camera function and battery life.

• Like 4

Just to notebthe nexus 5 is end of life in sprint stores. Youd have to buy from google, or 3rd party. But the nexus was a great device while it lasted in my arsenal.

Just to notebthe nexus 5 is end of life in sprint stores. Youd have to buy from google, or 3rd party. But the nexus was a great device while it lasted in my arsenal.

Won't google update the software even if sprint has eol'd the nexus 5?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Won't google update the software even if sprint has eol'd the nexus 5?

Yes just expect that if you add it to your sprint account, get insurance, something goes wrong, you will not get a nexus 5 back. Mine got replaced with a single band note 3.

Speaking of EOL, why is Sprint still selling the EVO LTE online?!

Edit: okay looks like they finally stopped but it was there fairly recently still

• Like 1

Yes just expect that if you add it to your sprint account, get insurance, something goes wrong, you will not get a nexus 5 back. Mine got replaced with a single band note 3.

Ouch. That part sucks.

• Like 1

Ouch. That part sucks.

yep but I just traded that one for an s5, and its a great phone. Check swappa maybe could find one good deal for around $350.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Kyocera Vibe, a waterproof triband Spark phone with quad-core 4.5" HD display is only $149.99 outright at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kyocera-hydro-vibe-cell-phone-black-silver-sprint/6318015.p

I have had enough experience with the Vibe to say it's a solid choice for a budget phone. I could do a list of the pro's of it, but since IMHO there's not that many cons, I'll share those instead:

-the earpiece is a little quiet for me. If you aren't used to HD voice and go to this phone, it may sound "tinny" on a call

-there is currently no root since the KitKat update

-Lumen Toolbar is an annoying POS that won't go away, even if you disable it

-the LTE radio is not as strong as flagship phones, such as S5 or Nexus: I can barely get B25/41 if at all at home, whereas my S5 can hang on and use LTE in same spot.

-I haven't played with the camera since the KitKat update, but the camera's auto-focus was screwy in JellyBean. Supposedly, the auto-focus was fixed in KitKat

-there is only 4GB for installation of apps. Compared to the 1GB you've been used to, it'll be nice, but it's no 16GB+ of flagship phones....

• Like 1

I'll go with the Vibe as well..solid budget-oriented phone..accidently dropped mine

3 1/2 feet standing in line at Starbucks to a hard tile floor...splat..no

harm no foul..I'll bet the New Note 4 or iPhone 6 would have been toast;

also great battery life , water-proof to 3 ft down (read :use in the rain); and

the audio/sound reproductions are stellar; using wi-fi calling (new with kit kat) make it a 

winner for me; I wanted the Note 4 as I've done w/o a flagship phone for 4 yrs and

wanted the S-Pen..short of that the Vibe would still be my #1 phone despite all of

its detractors on many of the review lists..

• Like 2

I'll go with the Vibe as well..solid budget-oriented phone..accidently dropped mine

3 1/2 feet standing in line at Starbucks to a hard tile floor...splat..no

harm no foul..I'll bet the New Note 4 or iPhone 6 would have been toast;

I just did this same move with my Nexus 5 not in a case.  I was in a hotel lobby, dropped full height.  It was a direct hard hitting corner shot on an unforgiving granite floor.  Landed glass side down.

It was extremely embarrassing because everyone in the lobby turned around and looked at me.  And watched me as I was bending over to pick it up.  I was certain the screen was shattered, or at least cracked.  I have had much less punishing drops be catastrophic.  I'm looking at you Nexus 7!

Amazingly, no cracks!  There was a nice new chunk missing on the plastic frame (very small) and some minor frame scratches to the edge.  But no screen issues.  Amazing.

• Like 4

I'll agree with two of the above posts that the Hydro vibe is a good phone. it can be had for 150 post or prepaid so that's a plus and it's a solidly built phone. mines 3 months old it hasn't had a case and still looks like brand new. however it definitely is weak in the RF department..