Cable Modem Suggestion?

Deval

After years of suckling the Verizon FiOS teat, I unfortunately moved to an area which is served by Time Warner Cable.

Thankfully they have upgraded most of their network, and are giving free speed upgrades like candy. I'm paying for "Turbo", which is 20 down/2 up, and getting close to 60 down/10 up, with my own Netgear N450 modem+wifi.

Unfortunately there is a lot of wifi interference in my building, and I'm looking to upgrade my modem with a dual band option, 5ghz/2.4ghz. I am not opposed to replacing the N450 with a standard modem and an external access point, but am trying to save money.

What modem + WIFI or modem + AP would you recommend? 

*edit*

To add, thanks to TWC's custom firmware, there is NO WAY to physically disable WIFI from the N450. The best you can do is disable SSID broadcast, but there is no toggle to disable.

Motorola sb6183+ asus ac87u or motorola sb6141 and any asus router.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My Setup (Brand Wise) Exactly....I have a SB6141 and Asus RT-AC66U....Love it....And have the Merlin Build on the Asus. 

I have Comcrap, but love the speeds....Getting 106Mbps Down/ 25 to 28 Upload...Nice...

Motorola sb6183+ asus ac87u or motorola sb6141 and any asus router.

Any particular ASUS router you would recommend? Something that wouldn't break the bank? I'm in an 800 sqft apartment.

Any particular ASUS router you would recommend? Something that wouldn't break the bank? I'm in an 800 sqft apartment.

Budget?

Question is more of do you want N or AC. I recommend RT-N66U or RT-N66R which are always on sale. Runs Shibby Tomato and is the best in my opinion as I truly have no need for AC at this time and you never buy "future proof" routers.

Budget?

Modem + Router = $180 max

There is nothing really wrong with my N450, just want to get a better one. I don't need AC, N is fine. I'm looking at the ASUS N56U, simple and cheap.

Question is more of do you want N or AC. I recommend RT-N66U or RT-N66R which are always on sale. Runs Shibby Tomato and is the best in my opinion as I truly have no need for AC at this time and you never buy "future proof" routers.

N is fine. I wouldn't even care so much about range, since the apartment is so small, as long as 5GHz worked fine, I'd be happy.

Make sure you get an 8 channel DOCSIS 3 modem, like the SB6141 people recommended..  Time warner should have a web page detailing their supported models, obviously make sure whatever you buy is on this list. 

As for router, spend $99 and get the T-mobile cellspot..  The will sell it to non-customers, and it's the best deal going for an AC router.

I am on TWC right now currently at 100/10 and I have a ASUS AC-68 router (I think I bought this for ~170-200 on eBay) with a Zoom 5341J Modem ($58 at walmart right now, I got mine on eBay for $40 or so). This is a really impressive modem and I get slightly better signal on it than an SB6141.

I highly recommend the ASUS routers. AC-68 is probably overkill but an AC-66 would work great.

Make sure you get an 8 channel DOCSIS 3 modem, like the SB6141 people recommended..  Time warner should have a web page detailing their supported models, obviously make sure whatever you buy is on this list. 

As for router, spend $99 and get the T-mobile cellspot..  The will sell it to non-customers, and it's the best deal going for an AC router.

Yep, the SB6141 is supported. The T-Mobile cellspot is which particular model?

Alright, that could work.

Checking Amazon, the N66 goes for $130, and the SB6141 goes for $88.

Don't forget to check other sites as well to price match. Newegg is a good one.

I am on TWC right now currently at 100/10 and I have a ASUS AC-68 router (I think I bought this for ~170-200 on eBay) with a Zoom 5341J Modem ($58 at walmart right now, I got mine on eBay for $40 or so). This is a really impressive modem and I get slightly better signal on it than an SB6141.

I highly recommend the ASUS routers. AC-68 is probably overkill but an AC-66 would work great.

Honestly $200 is way too much for me to spend on a router, for what I do with it.

Honestly $200 is way too much for me to spend on a router, for what I do with it.

For most people it is. I do a lot of transfers from my home server setup to various computers and it also lets me encrypt traffic at router. I upgraded from an N66 (already sold, sorry) and it was a very solid router. Here is one for $58 that ends in 7 hours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-RT-N66U-DARK-KNIGHT-Wireless-Router-/261595312222?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item3ce84bb05e

For most people it is. I do a lot of transfers from my home server setup to various computers and it also lets me encrypt traffic at router. I upgraded from an N66 (already sold, sorry) and it was a very solid router. Here is one for $58 that ends in 7 hours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-RT-N66U-DARK-KNIGHT-Wireless-Router-/261595312222?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item3ce84bb05e

The only thing I would be doing is using my Synology NAS as a file/media server, in my tiny < 800sqft apartment. Short of that, my internet usage revolves around Netflix and Xbox Live.

The only computers we have are my laptop and my wife's laptop, none which are used for anything more than Facebook and email.

Yeah then the N66 would be fine. I ended up upgrading because I have lan parties...

LAN parties?

AJ

Yeah, we are all like 30+ now and LAN parties are still a thing when our girlfriends and wives let us have them. We could probably all play at home via the internet but that isn't as much fun. Mostly we play starcraft or CS:GO and BBQ.

CS is awesome. I still play CS:S regularly.