Cable Modem Suggestion?

Deval

Well, in the case of TWC, they are definitely going with 16 channels in new maxx service areas.  A friend was recently received the upgrade to MAXX and went from 8 channels to 16.

Yeah, OFDM is going to be great, but you need to wait until TWC upgrades the CMTS to support the wider channels.  It will be great when they do, but again, it's like people that were saying "oh wait for DOCSIS 3.0, it's about to come out" and that still took years.  I guess a lot has to do with where you are at in your "modem upgrade cycle".  I am on a old 4 channel docsis 3.0 modem and skipped the 8 channel modem.  I'll do the 16 channel 3.0 and probably get the second gen 3.1 modem when my local CMTS is fully upgraded to support it.

There are some really really good deals on cheaper 8 channel highly rated cable modems that you can get nowadays, so maybe a 8x channel for ~50 bucks while waiting for a 3.1 might not be a bad way to go.

It's quite likely that DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems will also support DOCSIS 3.0 with 16 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels. So for that reason, waiting for DOCSIS 3.1 modems to roll out next year makes sense, because you'll still gain the advantages of a DOCSIS 3.0 16x8 cable modem, you'll just be more future proof.

It's quite likely that DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems will also support DOCSIS 3.0 with 16 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels. So for that reason, waiting for DOCSIS 3.1 modems to roll out next year makes sense, because you'll still gain the advantages of a DOCSIS 3.0 16x8 cable modem, you'll just be more future proof.

Agree with the statement but disagree that docsis 3.1 modems will be in the retail channel at any point next year.  I hope they are, cause I'll definitely want one!!! (but given the history of cable modem launches, I can't see that happening, hope I am wrong)

Agree with the statement but disagree that docsis 3.1 modems will be in the retail channel at any point next year.  I hope they are, cause I'll definitely want one!!! (but given the history of cable modem launches, I can't see that happening, hope I am wrong)

I think the difference this time is the threat of fiber internet service in several big MSO territories. I suspect that will speed things up considerably.

Well considering the Moto 6183 isn't still available in retail, what are the chances DOCSIS 3.1 will be?

I'm going to make a trip to the TWC office today and see if they can sell me a 3.0 modem. At the end of the day, if nothing else works out, I can stick with the N450 I have now and deal. 

The biggest gripe I have with cable internet is poor throughput, but that's another story for later. Last night I was watching Netflix on my TV, and ran a speedtest for the hell of it. This was at 10pm, and I averaged 2mbps on the DL, and 9mbps on the UL, with a 12ms latency. 

That simply blows and sucks.

I think the difference this time is the threat of fiber internet service in several big MSO territories. I suspect that will speed things up considerably.

Look at NYC, where Verizon is contractually obligated to deploy FiOS, yet can not get their foot in the door with a ton of apartment buildings. My own block has FiOS, but my building doesn't have access.

Look at NYC, where Verizon is contractually obligated to deploy FiOS, yet can not get their foot in the door with a ton of apartment buildings. My own block has FiOS, but my building doesn't have access.

Yeah, I know, but FiOS and U-verse territories are unusual. They existed before the Gigabit fiber thing, and their motives are different (replacing existing copper lines). I'm talking about fiber deployments like EPB, Google Fiber, C Spire Fiber, et al, who exist for the purpose of being actually competitive.

Yeah, I know, but FiOS and U-verse territories are unusual. They existed before the Gigabit fiber thing, and their motives are different (replacing existing copper lines). I'm talking about fiber deployments like EPB, Google Fiber, C Spire Fiber, et al, who exist for the purpose of being actually competitive.

Which I seriously doubt will make it here.

Well, there are rumors that Google has been negotiating with NYC about adding it to the Google Fiber expansion, but we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out of that.

Yeah but NYC isn't like podunk suburbs that Google can micro-trench and run cables. 

Yeah but NYC isn't like podunk suburbs that Google can micro-trench and run cables. 

That's beside the point. Google Fiber is a threat to TWC there. Also, if TWC/CMCSA is killed, then TWC will be incentivized to move faster on DOCSIS to compete against the specter of Google Fiber. TWC has lost massive share in Kansas City in Google Fiberhoods, and they don't want to see that happen in NYC.

Comcast has the same fear in some of the places they operate against new fiber providers (C Spire, etc.).

In other news, my SB6183 from Amazon shipped today.

Woohoo!!!

Amazon.com: Your package with ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB... has been shipped. Expected delivery: Tuesday, 23-Sep by 08:00 PM.

I'm going to go ahead and order mine from Amazon.

No rush, and too lazy to go to TWC's office.

That's beside the point. Google Fiber is a threat to TWC there. Also, if TWC/CMCSA is killed, then TWC will be incentivized to move faster on DOCSIS to compete against the specter of Google Fiber. TWC has lost massive share in Kansas City in Google Fiberhoods, and they don't want to see that happen in NYC.

Comcast has the same fear in some of the places they operate against new fiber providers (C Spire, etc.).

Honestly, I seriously doubt TWC could be threatened by Google Fiber in NYC. I live here, and know just how completely entrenched TWC is with the boroughs. If Verizon can't even get into buildings, what makes you think Google will be able to?

Honestly, I seriously doubt TWC could be threatened by Google Fiber in NYC. I live here, and know just how completely entrenched TWC is with the boroughs. If Verizon can't even get into buildings, what makes you think Google will be able to?

Most people like Google. Most don't like Verizon.

• Like 2

I'm interested in knowing what the upside is to upgrading a Motorola SB6120 to a 6183?

Going to be moving our D-Link DIR-655 to my inlaws and will be upgrading routers.

But if I'm going to go with an AC router, should I be upgrading the modem as well?

I'm interested in knowing what the upside is to upgrading a Motorola SB6120 to a 6183?

Going to be moving our D-Link DIR-655 to my inlaws and will be upgrading routers.

But if I'm going to go with an AC router, should I be upgrading the modem as well?

The Motorola SB6183 is a 16x4 capable modem, which means it supports 16 downlink channels and 4 uplink channels. The SB6120 only supports 4 downlink channels and 4 uplink channels, which means it will never support any of the faster speed tier services. For example, I have the TWC Turbo Internet package, which on a standard 4x4 modem offers 30 down / 2 up, but that same package with a 8x4 offers 100 down / 10 up. 

In NYC, TWC offered free upgrades to existing modem leasers so they could take advantage of faster maximum speeds. 

• Like 1

Damn. This thread has convinced me to upgrade my modem which I had never considered before really. 

It irritates me that the cable companies upgrade their infrastructure, and unless customers are wiser, they can't experience the benefits. When I was signing up with TWC, I opted to sign up for the Turbo Internet upgrade, which was a $10 buy-up. That promised me 20/2 speeds. When I found out that purchasing my own 8x4/16x4 modem would get me the Ultimate 100 upgrade for free, I was livid, since TWC told me if I wanted faster speeds, I would have to get the Extreme Internet package for an additional $10 buy-up, which would only get me 30/5.

If I were to upgrade my modem to the SB6183, which is the 16x4, I could buy-up to the 200/20 for the same $10 price as if I was going from Turbo to Extreme. 

• Like 1

Oh I am, well an access point since I have a Mikrotik router already. I've been lurking quite a bit over at Small Net Builder to help decide on which one(s). 

What cable company do you have? Perhaps they have upgraded the infrastructure and you could take advantage of that with a newer device.

TWC. They have 50/5 (maybe 50/10 but I don't remember) in Danville and according to a co-workers fiance that does residential installs, they're upgrading locally to get ready for 100mb service. Whether that is next summer or 2018 I have no idea.

TWC. They have 50/5 (maybe 50/10 but I don't remember) in Danville and according to a co-workers fiance that does residential installs, they're upgrading locally to get ready for 100mb service. Whether that is next summer or 2018 I have no idea.

That means you should be able to get faster speeds if you upgrade your modem.