Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

That's not the phone, it's the network doing what it is designed to do. You'll be disappointed when your replacement phone does the same thing.

I agree to an extent, but i do believe the radio suffers some issues as well. For example I have all three bands on at work (all 3 bands enabled) b41  hovers around 110 b25 around -93 26 around -85 the device will jump between b41 and 3g. Now deactivate b41 and it sits on b25  with an occasional jump to b26 never to 3g? Also when b41 is enabled I get a lot of dropped calls while driving around with b41 disabled very few if any dropped calls? So I dont think anyone can say 100% that there is not an issue with the device. Hopefully with all the time they have had for the upcoming update they have updated the radio and or baseband to correct this. 

• Like 2

When I hang up from a phone call my phone will go back to b41. Could this be a market by market scenario?

No this is by design, the Note 4 is NOT SVLTE which means in a nutshell you cannot use data while on a voice call. So when you are a call the LTE radio is disabled. Now if your on wifi data will work while on a call, using google voice/hangouts will also work.

No this is by design, the Note 4 is NOT SVLTE which means in a nutshell you cannot use data while on a voice call. So when you are a call the LTE radio is disabled. Now if your on wifi data will work while on a call, using google voice/hangouts will also work.

I don't think that's what he meant by his post. I think he was comparing his experience of going to B41 after hanging up a call vs. someone else who posted they go to B25 after they hang up a call.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 3

Right, I know it's not svlte like my HTC EVO was.... Josito and I both have note 4.

When he gets off call his phone usually switches to b25 and camps. He can turn his old s5 on and get off a call at the same location and it will go b41. I hadn't up my note 4 and mine usually goes to b41(clear & sprint).

that's his issue, his phone is not lining b41 after phone calls but the s5 will go back to b41.

I live in the Columbus market and he's in the Cincinnati market...our phones are acting different with same bands....

• Like 2

That's not the phone, it's the network doing what it is designed to do. You'll be disappointed when your replacement phone does the same thing.

I disagree, not all Note 4 are doing this, Imexx is the best example. But thanks for your opinion.
  • Like 1

Hopefully it has new radio firmware! Disclaimer I haven't looked at the link. I heard they are delaying do to that vr headset compatibility?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Percentage chance we see it in the Note 5?

Honestly doubtful.. Because the Note generally seems a few months behind radio wise. Note 4 has no CA support, no extra LTE bands for roaming. Likely the Note 5 will support whatever the S6 does. Note 3 didn't even support Spark.
  • Like 1

Honestly doubtful.. Because the Note generally seems a few months behind radio wise. Note 4 has no CA support, no extra LTE bands for roaming. Likely the Note 5 will support whatever the S6 does. Note 3 didn't even support Spark.

I thought VoLTE could be added to most any phone with a firmware update?

Sent from my Note 4.

and another rdf update:

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SM-N910P-SPRINT/OB3.rdf

There definitely appears to be some active testing/development going on on between Sprint and Samsung.

Oh the link does work on IE. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I thought VoLTE could be added to most any phone with a firmware update?

Theoretically it could but there's no way to know what Sprint or Samsung will do.

Adding VoLTE to a handset is not quite as simple as a willy nilly firmware update.  Yes, from a technical standpoint, a firmware update is all that is needed, since recent Qualcomm chipsets readily support VoLTE.  But also keep in mind the regulatory standpoint.

Many think of VoLTE as just a type of LTE data.  While that is technically true, VoLTE is also a first party voice service.  Now, the FCC presently regulates data as an information service, but it regulates voice as a telecommunications service.  The latter comes with greater regulatory scrutiny, such as compatibility with hearing impairment assistance devices.  That requires additional lab testing submitted in the FCC OET filing.

So, if VoLTE is not enabled on the handset when it is initially tested, then it must go back for a second round of lab testing, followed by a Class II Permissive Change filing with the FCC OET -- all before VoLTE support is sent out in a firmware update.  That requires time from the testing lab and money from the OEM or wireless operator.  In some cases, the added outlay may not be worth it.

This is important info that may clear up some misconceptions that many hold about VoLTE.  It is a shame to bury it in a little seen Samsung Galaxy Note 4 thread.  We may need to repost this in a more prominent placement.

AJ

• Like 10

Hopefully our results will be better than some S5 owners are reporting (starting with noticeable loss in battery life)

Ive seen a lot of them reporting good result upon factory reset. It might not be an option for many people. But if you are having a lot of problems with it, maybe factory reset will resolve the issues. Just gotta wait and see.