Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

For anyone who has done the update, we're you rooted? I don't want to lose root. Especially not if the majority are having battery life issues.

Even if you lose root, it is apparently easily rooted using the same method as before.

It always makes me wonder if people just think the battery drain is more after an update since they're probably just playing with the phone more to figure out the new features.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

It always makes me wonder if people just think the battery drain is more after an update since they're probably just playing with the phone more to figure out the new features.

Sent from my Note 4.

I thought this might be the case with me so I tested it. I charged back up to 100%. I restarted the phone. I played music on Youtube music key (which is awesome btw) like I normally do. Music playing on the phone with screen turned off. I took a shower and shaved. I checked and 17 minutes had gone by. Phone was down to 91%. 9% drain in 17 minutes. Kit Kat would have drained maybe 2% doing the same thing. I just upgraded to Lollipop this morning so I'm hoping it stabilizes over time or Sprint comes out with an update to fix this issue.

I thought this might be the case with me so I tested it. I charged back up to 100%. I restarted the phone. I played music on Youtube music key (which is awesome btw) like I normally do. Music playing on the phone with screen turned off. I took a shower and shaved. I checked and 17 minutes had gone by. Phone was down to 91%. 9% drain in 17 minutes. Kit Kat would have drained maybe 2% doing the same thing. I just upgraded to Lollipop this morning so I'm hoping it stabilizes over time or Sprint comes out with an update to fix this issue.

I was in Lynchburg, VA the past two days in ntelos territory instead of Shentel territory where I live. Even with 3G struggling to keep up with a large crowd there, I didn't seem to notice any additional drain than usual.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

I've had substantially better battery life today than a typical Kit-Kat day. I wiped everything and clean installed lollipop, then restored apps with titanium backup (very few did I restore data). With an hour of screen time and 8 hrs off the charger, I'm at 70%, with an estimated 15 hrs remaining. Very happy with that.

• Like 1

And I know it's only me and four other people in the world that care about this, but for the record, the barometer sensor still fails as it did under KitKat. So far, that is the worst part of the update, everything else is smooth, with the possible exception of a less sensitive GPS, jury is still out on that one.

Yeah color me equally unimpressed with this update due to battery life.  With 4.4.4 I would typically get 24-36 hours of battery life, sometimes 2.5-3 DAYS!..it was unquestionably the best phone for battery life that I had ever used.

Now since the 5.0.1 update on sprint, I'm lucky to get 18-20 hours.  Granted, it's not the end of the world but just a VERY DIFFERENT world than I was in 72 hours ago.

I thought maybe it was usage, so yesterday I decided to just charge it and unplug it and let it run down.  typically some weekend days I would even forget about the phone and by late Sunday night I would pull it up and it was be at like 4% battery and have not been charged for 50-60 hours...but yesterday I charged it, put it in the same place it usually sits and this morning it was down to 40% and now it's dead.  Didn't even go 18 hours before dying.

There really isn't anything about lollipop that excites me, I don't find the speed of the UI much faster or offering better elements at this point I'd prefer to be able to go back to kitkat.

The ONE thing I do notice that is different is that in my battery usage screen, Cell Standby is always the #1 thing on the list using 5-8% of the overall battery usage.  This was never the case before, CS was usally 3-5th, but using much less than the android system in general...so maybe Sprint changed some element of the tower connection algorithm?

I've done the cache clear-out and swapped the battery a couple times.

If anyone has any other thoughts about how to get it working like it did, I'm all ears.

Right now my battery life for my usage pattern seems to be a bit better with LPop; but my

usage pattern is not like most; I'm in wifi mode at least 80% of the time and I rarely

stream any sort of videos (Netflix, YouTube et al) so definitely not a power user here as

I was before I retired from the rat race..YMMV of course..

Right now my battery life for my usage pattern seems to be a bit better with LPop; but my

usage pattern is not like most; I'm in wifi mode at least 80% of the time and I rarely

stream any sort of videos (Netflix, YouTube et al) so definitely not a power user here as

I was before I retired from the rat race..YMMV of course..

yeah I'm in a similar habit, mostly 80-90% on wifi.  honestly, the phone stayed HOME a lot of the time since I carry an iphone as daily driver.  I'm just really surprised that the sit around time, standby, check mail every 30 or so (come to think of it where IS this setting, maybe it changed without notice) I'm surprised that amount of time change for me from 60 hours to 15-18 hours max.

Edited by tivoboy

Tivo, do you put your Note 4 into airplane mode at night?  I do...I get way more 

standby time than 15-18 hrs.. just looking at the power settings..been two days for me

on a charge (one 10 hr session of airplane mode) and I'm at 45%..the power setting 

claims I have two days left (if this is lite or no usage , I guess)..I'm sure you've checked for

offending apps but what is it that is eating your battery?  Are you rooted? Stock LP?

I found one source of the battery drain, Google Fit. If loaded, the heart sensor comes on at anytime when covered. So, sitting on a table top, in your pocket, etc. will run the sensor light. 

It's not just Note 4 and Lollipop.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#q=google%20fit%20lollipop%20heart%20rate%20monitor

Have you tried full wipe, rooted or what?

Your not a power user, you're Usage/battery life would be a wet dream for me....

No, I wouldn't say I'm a power user.. there are about five accounts configured on the phone, I use about 6-7 apps regularly, for reading, RSS feeds, slingplayer, others.

I couldn't give you ON time for the device from an historical perspective, but I'm just REALLY surprised at the huge drop (can't be described in any other way) of the non-use or standby time.  I honestly went from 50-60 hours time off charger to 18 max.  That just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Phone was really great at that, and now it's just not.

I'm afraid that a complete restore is the only option to at least TRY at this point.  Any other thoughts much appreciated. And also if anyone has any good tips on doing the reset/restore.  Is there anything one should restore, or just rebuild the whole phone up from the ground up again?

No, I wouldn't say I'm a power user.. there are about five accounts configured on the phone, I use about 6-7 apps regularly, for reading, RSS feeds, slingplayer, others.

I couldn't give you ON time for the device from an historical perspective, but I'm just REALLY surprised at the huge drop (can't be described in any other way) of the non-use or standby time. I honestly went from 50-60 hours time off charger to 18 max. That just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Phone was really great at that, and now it's just not.

I'm afraid that a complete restore is the only option to at least TRY at this point. Any other thoughts much appreciated. And also if anyone has any good tips on doing the reset/restore. Is there anything one should restore, or just rebuild the whole phone up from the ground up again?

Since it sounds like you have a minimal number of apps, just blow it up and start from scratch. Can't go wrong with that approach. If you start restoring apps and data from a backup, you're likely to just recreate the issue.