Google I/O

uecker87

I was not trying to insinuate that it would trade places. I'm actually not always on my phone, I just end up pulling it out of my pocket a lot checking the notification/time and putting it back. Which to me gives the impression of being one of those people to the general public (or someone who's just in the general area with me), in my opinion. It's a lot easier to tap the watch or push a button on it to check a notification, or the time(you know like an original watch:P). It's quicker, and requires you to divert less of your time from the person/people you're with.

More on topic the moto 360 is one of the first good looking and more fairly priced smart watches. The Samsung ones are cool but they only work with Samsung phones which doesn't fly for me. I'd love to see more price friendly options (150-200ish range).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am a news junkie and am ALWAYS on my phone.  Yes, I'm THAT guy!  I admit it.  So I know that the wearable concept may not work for me as I have a seemingly deep seated need to have my face buried and fully immersed in my phone at all times.  Ah..I might need therapy for this.  LOL.

But I do really want a fitness tracker.  Fitness is huge for me, not just because I'm now in my early thirties but because I have enjoyed being physically fit for nearly all of my adult life after a childhood of more weight fluctuations than Oprah Winfrey.  It's a huge part of my life and being able to track it more closely would be a big plus for me.  So I'm definitely interested in any smartwatch with built in fitness monitoring..like the Gear Fit.  That thing is gorgeous as well.  

I'll try them all out once they have physical demos in all the usual suspect stores as I like to keep an open mind to any and all new tech.  Ya never know...I just might fall in love with a new product category : o )

• Like 1

I bought this @ http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-55H6SG-55-1080p-120Hz-LED-Vision-HDTV/35004831 a month or so a go when it came out.

It already looks very similar to their android tv demos, it runs 4.4.1 if I recall correctly.

If you ever used google tv before, its very similar, just updated home screens and menus.

While this particular tv at ~650$ is like those early 99$ android tablet as far as quality, when sony etc start selling those flagship tvs with android tv built in, its gonna be the bomb dropping on pretty much any type of streaming/console device.

The remote that came with it is pretty cool too, it has the dpad like control, and it also works as a bluetooth air mouse.

Honestly could some of you humor me as to why anyone would want a smartwatch in the first place?  I just don't get it. 

The Moto 360 is a good looking device to me but it would be fine if it were a simple analog watch.  But the trouble for me is that I don't even wear watches because my smartphone has replaced that functionality completely.  It's all about simplification.  

Why would I want to duplicate my smartphone's functionality on my wrist on a wearable device that my smartphone replaced years ago?  Seems bizarre to me.

I'm not poking fun it at it (well, maybe just a tad) but I really and truly would like to know from some of you guys your reasons for wanting one and how they might make your/my life easier.

Is pulling out your phone to check notifications now considered to be too difficult?  

Honestly I feel the exact same way

For me it's not that it's difficult, it's that in some cases it's rude. For instance my work doesn't allow you to be on your phone so a smart watch enables me to see if something is important enough for me to take a break to get it. Or when I'm out with my significant other I can glance down and see what alert I just got rather than being that dude who's "always on his phone." Or simply when I'm doing things around my house I can be assured I'll know if I need to get my phone or not without having to drop what I'm doing to find my phone or always have it on my person. For me it let's you detach from my phone without being detached from the things I need from it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And for the most part this is also the only reason why I will get one, outside of work though I more than likely won't even use it

• Like 3

Honestly I feel the exact same way

And for the most part this is also the only reason why I will get one, outside of work though I more than likely won't even use it

I just want us as consumers to be careful not to be too caught up in whatever new trinkets and gadgets company X is selling us - even if it is our favorite company (it is mine).  

To be clear, the drive to constantly sell more than the previous quarter and the previous fiscal year will never go away and so new categories of devices are often developed to help the company fill those perceived needs/sales goals.  It's just that it isn't necessarily our duty to help them achieve those goals, especially if the new gadget doesn't truly serve a purpose already fulfilled elsewhere.

Consumer caution here, I think, is the takeaway.

• Like 3

I bought this @ http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-55H6SG-55-1080p-120Hz-LED-Vision-HDTV/35004831 a month or so a go when it came out.

It already looks very similar to their android tv demos, it runs 4.4.1 if I recall correctly.

If you ever used google tv before, its very similar, just updated home screens and menus.

While this particular tv at ~650$ is like those early 99$ android tablet as far as quality, when sony etc start selling those flagship tvs with android tv built in, its gonna be the bomb dropping on pretty much any type of streaming/console device.

The remote that came with it is pretty cool too, it has the dpad like control, and it also works as a bluetooth air mouse.

How good is it for gaming and such? Is the image quality pretty good? I'm looking to get a larger TV for my living room (50+), and want get something good.

How good is it for gaming and such? Is the image quality pretty good? I'm looking to get a larger TV for my living room (50+), and want get something good.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv-roku-streaming-stick-included/5119194.p?id=1219109872678&skuId=5119194&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

I just got this one about a month ago when my ancient phillips 50" plasma finally died out on me. It was on sale for I think memorial day weekend. I am overly impressed with this tv. We also got a samsung sound bar with subwoofer because we were tired of having to turn the tv up to hear over our air conditioner which conveniently featured in the living room in this apartment. Anyways, it's amazing for gaming and amazing for movies. The colors are vibrant and dark scenes in movies appear very well unlike on my aged plasma.

One thing I didn't like though is that it there is an advanced motion option. I was told it increases the refresh rate and I noticed this sometimes caused some adverse effects on fast moving items on the screen. I have opted to turn it off completely and that has resolved the issue entirely. I would give the TV a 9/10. I think even with just the sound from the tv, its pretty decent. More than the usual flat screen. I would recommend it to anyone. 

• Like 3

Gaming how?

on the built in android? I haven't really tried, I don't think its as powerful as the nexus devices, but to be honest I have not had time to dive into the details of it.

using external console? it seems fine, i am still mostly using with my apple tv + xbmc for tv/movies, with the occasional netflix/amazon prime video.

The video quality itself, is not super great, it is just a big cheap flat screen tv and you get what you pay for.

My previous main tv was a sony 46z, which (still) has incredible picture quality and black levels.

The black levels of this hisense tv are all over the place, when it starts up you can see plainly the inconsistency of blacks varying all over the screen from not very well distributed back lighting.

But unless your viewing something with lots of black, it looks mostly fine during normal picture, its just not what anyone would consider 'high end'.

If my sony 46z was a $250 nexus 7, this hisense is a no-name $100 tablet.

I did not buy it for the picture quality, I bought it to have android on the tv, and eventually migrate my appletv/xbmc box to the internal android system.

Oh, another issue is has like very limited storage, I think like 3 or 4 gig, something from 2010.

Edited by dedub

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv-roku-streaming-stick-included/5119194.p?id=1219109872678&skuId=5119194&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

I just got this one about a month ago when my ancient phillips 50" plasma finally died out on me. It was on sale for I think memorial day weekend. I am overly impressed with this tv. We also got a samsung sound bar with subwoofer because we were tired of having to turn the tv up to hear over our air conditioner which conveniently featured in the living room in this apartment. Anyways, it's amazing for gaming and amazing for movies. The colors are vibrant and dark scenes in movies appear very well unlike on my aged plasma.

One thing I didn't like though is that it there is an advanced motion option. I was told it increases the refresh rate and I noticed this sometimes caused some adverse effects on fast moving items on the screen. I have opted to turn it off completely and that has resolved the issue entirely. I would give the TV a 9/10. I think even with just the sound from the tv, its pretty decent. More than the usual flat screen. I would recommend it to anyone. 

Thank you! I'll take a look.