"Out of office" with SMS?

I am going to be out of the country and have my domestic phone in airplane mode and only using wifi. Is there any way with SMS on the Sprint network to set up some kind of auto reply to the incoming SMS on the network side of things since the message will never hit my phone?

I am going to be out of the country and have my domestic phone in airplane mode and only using wifi. Is there any way with SMS on the Sprint network to set up some kind of auto reply to the incoming SMS on the network side of things since the message will never hit my phone?

There are apps out there that does this but with you being in airplane mode means none of them will work.  I also don't think its possible for sprint to do it on their side.  You can probably get what you want through google voice though.

I use Google Voice as the voicemail on my phone but I have maintained my publicly known mobile phone number with Sprint and not ported it to Google. I am very reluctant to do the full Google Voice integration until we know exactly what Google is up to with Google Voice and Hangouts in the future.

I use Google Voice as the voicemail on my phone but I have maintained my publicly known mobile phone number with Sprint and not ported it to Google. I am very reluctant to do the full Google Voice integration until we know exactly what Google is up to with Google Voice and Hangouts in the future.

It is very simple to remove integration if you decide you don't like it. You don't actually have to port your number anywhere. It stays with Sprint, and you receive all the benefits of being integrated with GV.

• Like 1

Oh, so when it asks me if I want to replace my GV number with my Sprint number, that isn't a port? I thought it was. If I remove the integration after the time period where my GV number has been deleted do I just get a new GV number at that point?

Oh, so when it asks me if I want to replace my GV number with my Sprint number, that isn't a port? I thought it was. If I remove the integration after the time period where my GV number has been deleted do I just get a new GV number at that point?

Correct, it's not a port. You original GV number remains as a secondary number in your GV account for 30 - 60 days, after which you can retain it for a one time $20 payment. Any calls or texts to the secondary number are automatically forwarded to your Sprint number, though you cannot text or call back from that number. If you remove integration, your secondary number automatically goes back to being your main GV number.

2014-06-02_18-07-39.png

So if I use my current sprint number as my Google Voice number then when someone sends me a SMS to that number does that come into Hangouts or do I have to use the Google Voice app?

So if I use my current sprint number as my Google Voice number then when someone sends me a SMS to that number does that come into Hangouts or do I have to use the Google Voice app?

It works either way. In the settings image I posted above, beneath the checkmark next to "David K" it has the option "Receive text messages on this phone." Using that option will send the messages to your phone like normal. Unchecking it will send them to the GV app.

Edit: MMS work like normal regardless of settings.

That is great to know. I really appreciate your assistance. I understand now how this works domestically. In the scenario where I am on foreign soil and the phone is only in wifi (radios in airplane mode), how will this work assuming that I'd like to use Hangouts as my messaging app?

That is great to know. I really appreciate your assistance. I understand now how this works domestically. In the scenario where I am on foreign soil and the phone is only in wifi (radios in airplane mode), how will this work assuming that I'd like to use Hangouts as my messaging app?

Outside the country, you will have to use the Voice app, and you will not be able to send MMS.

When I went to Austria last year, I used the GV app to text my parents and friends back here in the US and make calls using VoIP apps tied into GChat calling. Not sure if it's still available, but GrooveIP was the app I used.

If inside the US I can use Hangouts but outside the country I have to use the GV app then I assume that I have to uncheck the "send texts to phone" setting before I leave the US?

If inside the US I can use Hangouts but outside the country I have to use the GV app then I assume that I have to uncheck the "send texts to phone" setting before I leave the US?

I would, but you don't have to. So long as you leave your phone in airplane mode, you don't get them, and the Google Voice app will still get them. However, turning on SMS notification inside of the GV app does turn off that "sent texts to phone" option. Turning notifications off turns regular texts back on. If that makes sense. It can all be done inside the app.