Seahawks getting sued and bashed

JThorson

Has anyone heard of this? John E. Williams III is suing the Seahawks for selective ticket selling for $40 million. This is ridiculous. You can read about it here

Also, the NFL is punishing the Seahawks for being to good at home. Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? Read about it here

The stadium is publicly owned, not privately. Therefore, I think the grounds for the lawsuit have merit, to make sure state laws have not been broken. The amount of the lawsuit seems high for an individual, but maybe if you take the 67K seats and say half are for the out of state team, that is 33.5K seats. Multiply that $1,250 per seat, you get ~$42M. As high as the number is, I can see where it is derived from. I am actually interested to see how this one will play out.

One thing that doesn't make sense though is other teams have done this and continue to do this in every major sport and they don't get sued for that, but yet the Seahawks do, that isn't fair, but then again life isn't fair. But I do agree briank, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Also, the NFL is punishing the Seahawks for being to good at home. Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? Read about it here

The NFL wants all teams to be equal.

It doesn't follow the same methodology as sports in other countries, with division, promotions, relegations.

The same with the NHL/NBA/MLS.

It is strange. But then again here we fund the millionaires playgrounds (the stadiums) with tax money from the poor (sales taxes), and the NFL pays no tax.

So nothing makes sense with sports.

• Like 1

The following sentence seems a bit disingenuous.  It sounds like it was more to ensure the sale of tickets to local fans rather than to ensure the tickets weren't sold to 49er fans.

"In short, if you lived in California or Nevada (areas likely to support the San Francisco 49ers), you weren’t allowed to purchase tickets."

One thing that doesn't make sense though is other teams have done this and continue to do this in every major sport and they don't get sued for that, but yet the Seahawks do, that isn't fair, but then again life isn't fair. But I do agree briank, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Unless precedent was established in court in a previous case, whether other teams do this or not is irrelevant. Using pine tar has always been illegal in baseball even though everyone seems to get away with using it. Then a high profile yankee gets caught using it and is suspended. Therefore if there is actually a law that was broken, then there will be a penalty of some sort.

The NFL wants all teams to be equal.

It is strange. But then again here we fund the millionaires playgrounds (the stadiums) with tax money from the poor (sales taxes), and the NFL pays no tax.

So nothing makes sense with sports.

I have complaints about the way the NFL is run. But I do think they have one thing right. They realize that though teams are owned by individual owners, the teams are only valuable in the context of a competitive league. Incidentally, the reason that the NFL doesn't pay any income taxes is because it's considered a non-profit association/rules body. All the money it collects beyond its overhead goes the the owners of the individual teams and is considered income for each individual franchise.