S5 on old ED1500 Plans?

caspar347

Would it somehow be possible to pre-register for a GS5 and get it with a subsidy on the old Everything Data plans? My father (the guy that manages the account I am on) wants to add a line for my brother by March 14th (to get the subsidy) and he is unwilling to switch to Framily.

To save you the hassle of reading through the framily thread(even though there's lots of good info in there), a few of our members who work for sprint/third party stores have said that you have to talk to a manager to get approval for the 2 year subsidy. Due to sprint changing to supposedly (not confirmed yet just highly suspected I believe) framily only, so be prepared for a bit of a struggle. If I were you I'd head to a corporate store and try explaining your situation ASAP

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To save you the hassle of reading through the framily thread(even though there's lots of good info in there), a few of our members who work for sprint/third party stores have said that you have to talk to a manager to get approval for the 2 year subsidy. Due to sprint changing to supposedly (not confirmed yet just highly suspected I believe) framily only, so be prepared for a bit of a struggle. If I were you I'd head to a corporate store and try explaining your situation ASAP

Thanks for the advice. I'll be at a store today. I have read most of the framily thread (sadly locked now) but I never saw anything specific about the S5.

cant you just upgrade on Amazon or Best Buy?  I just tried on Amazon and it shows I am eligible for an upgrade and it will process the order accordingly.  I am on a SERO-P plan but i dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Now I am wondering if i should take the upgrade (and know i have the plan for at least another 2 years) and then just sell the phone since i am happy with the nexus 5.

Last i knew nothing was formally announced about upgrades going away?

• Like 1

cant you just upgrade on Amazon or Best Buy? I just tried on Amazon and it shows I am eligible for an upgrade and it will process the order accordingly. I am on a SERO-P plan but i dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Now I am wondering if i should take the upgrade (and know i have the plan for at least another 2 years) and then just sell the phone since i am happy with the nexus 5.

Last i knew nothing was formally announced about upgrades going away?

Like I said earlier, there are just signs indicating that they're moving from subsidies. I don't think theyll force you off your plan unless you want to upgrade in a store...if you buy it outright wouldnt it be the same as activating an old phone/swapping between them?

Like I said earlier, there are just signs indicating that they're moving from subsidies. I don't think theyll force you off your plan unless you want to upgrade in a store...if you buy it outright wouldnt it be the same as activating an old phone/swapping between them?

Buying the phone outright defeats the purpose of the device being subsidized. 

• Like 1

Buying the phone outright defeats the purpose of the device being subsidized.

If you look at the person I replied to. He was talking about buying a device and selling it to lock in his plan for another two years (to not have to get family). I was offering him a different method to avoid being pushed to family(for the best of my knowledge).

If you look at the person I replied to. He was talking about buying a device and selling it to lock in his plan for another two years (to not have to get family). I was offering him a different method to avoid being pushed to family(for the best of my knowledge).

They could just as easily make phones from a certain point onwards not allowable on any plans except the newest ones.  Although if that happened it wouldnt matter if i am locked in for another 2 years besides being able to keep plan price.  So i am betting on that not happening.

They could just as easily make phones from a certain point onwards not allowable on any plans except the newest ones. Although if that happened it wouldnt matter if i am locked in for another 2 years besides being able to keep plan price. So i am betting on that not happening.

They could, twas just an idea. Every time I'm slightly optimistic out comes the downers lol:P.

well if they are trying to phase out the subsidy idea....THEN THEY NEED TO TRY HARDER!!!

Granted my situation is different, and I tried to force some things through....

with that being said....they could make life easier to switch over...and pretty much offer it up to everyone...and not make thngs so cryptic 

well if they are trying to phase out the subsidy idea....THEN THEY NEED TO TRY HARDER!!!

Granted my situation is different, and I tried to force some things through....

with that being said....they could make life easier to switch over...and pretty much offer it up to everyone...and not make thngs so cryptic

Seems a confusing as the irs tax code by everyone's reports?

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

Here is the question. Can you keep your ED 1500 plan and do easy pay?

Or will they go the route the other carriers did to kick people off their grandfathered unlimited plans(not allowing you to activate a new phone on your line unless you change to a "up to date" plan).

Or will they go the route the other carriers did to kick people off their grandfathered unlimited plans(not allowing you to activate a new phone on your line unless you change to a "up to date" plan).

I feel like this will be the route they'll take.  After all, they probably wouldn't want to hold their end of the contract on out-dated terms.

Seems a confusing as the irs tax code by everyone's reports?

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

pfft twice as bad...which is sad really....as I said other places..."great concept of a plan and the data packages.....poorly executed, and put out.... "

They could...because these other plans say in them .."guaranteed for life" where as the ED and other plans have no such statements

Here is the question. Can you keep your ED 1500 plan and do easy pay?

...I would think (and its only my thought, which i have found doesnt match up with them, because its well logical"

anyway...should be....once your contracts up, and you dont want to lock in...i would guess you could get a phone that way....i mean, they are financing it with out a % added to it....

if it was me, and i wanted to keep custys....sure keep your plan, by keep buying these phones....

but thats me

• Like 1

You can still do 2yr upgrades if you're on the ed 1500 or the unlimited my way plan. If you're eligble for easy pay you can do it on the ed1500, unlimited my way, or framily plan.

Unless Sprint decides that the ED plans are unprofitable, why would they kick anyone off or refuse a new 2 year contract? With Son in control, I believe this is even less likely to happen. And if its going to happen, it happens when the network is at a new high both publically and actually, now with sprint is still scrambling.

What I can see happening is the amount reduced from the retail price of the handset will be reduced for ED 2 year contracts. For example, if average cost after subsidy for a Galaxy 4 is $199, I could see them increasing that price to $249 or $299 in an attempt to organically drive customers to the framily model

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Unless Sprint decides that the ED plans are unprofitable, why would they kick anyone off or refuse a new 2 year contract? With Son in control, I believe this is even less likely to happen. And if its going to happen, it happens when the network is at a new high both publically and actually, now with sprint is still scrambling.

What I can see happening is the amount reduced from the retail price of the handset will be reduced for ED 2 year contracts. For example, if average cost after subsidy for a Galaxy 4 is $199, I could see them increasing that price to $249 or $299 in an attempt to organically drive customers to the framily model

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Didnt they already pull this last year with the GS4?

It launched for 199 on the competitors, and 249 on Sprint, if my memory is correct.

And then when Target and Best Buy were having major sales (I think 99 for the S4), the tiny text said Sprint was excluded.

Same deal with the iPhone. Huge black friday sales, but not Sprint.