Sprint sets a new record

jamisonshaw125

I tried again with a different message making the same points under a different username that would indicate I'm far more friendly to T-Mobile on my iPhone with a Verizon IP address over LTE. I'm wondering if my IP didn't get put in some sort of GigaOm trap... which I would find odd since I don't think I've ever commented there before today.  :rolleyes:

Still nothing showing up, I think they don't like you.

Still nothing showing up, I think they don't like you.

Ryan must be a "postman agitator."  To win back favor, he needs to become a magenta "dandy...a real fancy boy."

AJ

Now both mine showed up after I called them out. Weird. Oh well, I'm done commenting on GigaOm. Wasn't worth the frustration.

Yeah they kind of got shut down on that Article. No one had room to speak for the Magenta fanboys. I bet they are just ignoring the comment section, until they can  muster a legere style comeback, most likely a fail if they do. or they just say they write fair because they praise another carrier other than T-mobile once in a blue moon. 

What is wrong with Kevin? That's another awful hit piece article. To start out an article bashing Sprint saying they talk and never build is not only untrue, but it paints him as a journalist with a preconceived idea and only looking for points that back up his opinionated preposition.

What about Network Vision? Did Sprint only talk about it and not implement it? It is being implemented. And it's not just in large cities. It's over the whole network. It may not be done today, but NV1.0 is about 3/4 done and they are still plugging away full steam.

What about WiMax? Did Sprint only talk about it and never implement it? They did implement it. It was installed in 71 cities and 700 protection sites before Clearwire ran out of money. Could it have been handled better? Absolutely. But it isn't that it was not built at all as Kevin would suggest.

3G EVDO? Sprint took that over almost all of its native footprint. Only a few rural areas of inherited affiliates didn't get upgraded. And Sprint deployed 3G faster and over more of a larger part of its footprint than over any other large provider. It still has more rural 3G than Tmo, by a 5:1 ratio. AT&T still has large swaths of EDGE only service.

And last...Spark. Band 41 LTE is being deployed. It's more than just a plan. It's far along on Clearwire sites. It's undeniable that Sprint is doing this. Also Sprint is just about to start on NV sites too. How can someone dare say never?

So Kevin just comes off as a little foolish to talk this way. And now it is becoming a trend. For whatever reason he feels like he needs to paint Sprint poorly. Sprint has enough legitimate criticisms to deal with, that there is no need to make crap up.

Sprint probably deserves a critical eye from their subscribers. But Sprint deserves a fair shake from anyone who is supposed to be a journalist. Just present the facts and let the readers draw their own conclusions. But this article was full of opinion. It should have been titled an editorial.

If Kevin was even just being honest in his opinions based on past results, his opinion should be more like, 'Sprint will probably end up building out a highly advanced and super fast Spark network with NSN. Their demonstrations were impressive. However, based on Sprint's past performance, I can't help but wonder how they will screw it up.'

That would be far more reasonable to say than they will NEVER build it, because all they do is talk and not actually EVER build anything.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 14

What is wrong with Kevin? That's another awful hit piece article. To start out an article bashing Sprint saying they talk and never build is not only untrue, but it paints him as a journalist with a preconceived idea and only looking for points that back up his opinionated preposition.

In response, I am almost certain Kevin would say that he is a blogger, not a news reporter.  Offering his opinion on newsworthy subjects is what he is paid to do.  Like it or not, with the rapid growth of non traditional media, this is the route that journalism is increasingly going.  The problem with this paradigm shift is that the average readership may not be informed and/or intelligent enough to interpret these essentially "infotainment" pieces through the appropriate filters.

AJ

• Like 1

In response, I am almost certain Kevin would say that he is a blogger, not a news reporter.  Offering his opinion on newsworthy subjects is what he is paid to do.  Like it or not, with the rapid growth of non traditional media, this is the route that journalism is increasingly going.  The problem with this paradigm shift is that the average readership may not be informed and/or intelligent enough to interpret these essentially "infotainment" pieces through the appropriate filters.

AJ

It does appear your average person can't be bothered to research both sides of an issue. Scary the things I've heard people take as fact from fringe "news" writers.

• Like 1

AJ

It's one thing to offer an opinion and another thing to paint something unfairly.

AJ

Well, I considered him a journalist and not a blogger.  I consider you and me bloggers.  I guess it's a relevant term and not something that can be clearly defined.  And maybe they are not graduations of the same progression but actually overlap.  One can be a journalist.  One can be a blogger.  One can be a blogging journalist.  Or even perhaps a journalisting blogger?  :P

Robert

And now Tammy Parker wants to get in on the act: http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprints-26-gbps-demo-shows-it-time-walk-walk/2014-02-06

It's like there's some kind of groupthink exercise going on or something.

What I find interesting is that these bloggers are jumping on Sprint for, as Parker put it...

Even stranger is the fact that Sprint seems intent on raising customer expectations regarding what it could do, only to dash them by not bringing the promised capabilities to fruition.

A. While it would certainly be nice, to my knowledge Sprint has never promised customers 2.6 Gbps  or 1.3 Gbps speeds.

B. Sprint didn't even issue a press release for this demo. NSN did, but Sprint did not.

Just very odd writings these days.

• Like 4

No one brings up the T-Mobile LIVING ON THE EDGE? 

All worshiping at the feet of Magenta Jesus, who turns water into magenta wine and makes Verizon contracts disappear. 

• Like 2

I'm quite surprised that she responded.

No doubt I went troll face on the comment, but I still marvel at the double standard. Sprint is getting its ass kicked from a PR perspective. It's amazing to see the gap between Sprint and TMobile in that regard.  

• Like 1

This is why I am so into using Sensorly, Root Metrics and now the FCC app. I figured the least I can do is keep mapping out the true status of Sprint's network from my perspective. According to Sensorly and Root Metrics, there is zero TMobile 4G presence in St Augustine, yet Sprint is strong. My average speed for FCC over the course of 2 months is 26 Mbps down and about 6 up.

• Like 1

This is why I am so into using Sensorly, Root Metrics and now the FCC app. I figured the least I can do is keep mapping out the true status of Sprint's network from my perspective. According to Sensorly and Root Metrics, there is zero TMobile 4G presence in St Augustine, yet Sprint is strong. My average speed for FCC over the course of 2 months is 26 Mbps down and about 6 up.

Never really used the root metrics one as it didn't map correctly, always used Sensorly of course. I have used the FCC app for a while. My average shows a little over 1 megabit down as the average. Not too shabby for LTE.

Hello everyone, Kevin Fitchard here.

I guess I'm not the most popular guy on these forums, but I actually know several of you here so I thought I would offer up some thoughts on my recent coverage. (And I appreciate you defending my credibility, AJ, even though I know we disagree on this.)

First, wanted to let you know, I'm pubbing a piece tomorrow based on my interview with Dan Hesse on the LTE rollout. I'm still pretty critical, but I give Dan his say, and he's a pretty convincing guy.

As for my coverage of Sprint lately, yes, it's taken a very critical turn. I've been covering Sprint for 13 years, and I've always rooted for the company. It does things differently and it challenges collective industry wisdom (WiMAX, unlimited plans, even mobile payments). But I've also been writing the same tired line for seven years: Sprint's gonna turn the corner, just you wait, it will launch the network its promising.

Seven year's later, I'm still getting the same line, so as a journalist/blogger/editorialist (whatever you want to call me) I'm not giving them a benefit of the doubt anymore. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I wanted to explain my new stance. It's the same thing I explained to Dan Hesse today.

Keep commenting on my posts. There is sometimes a delay because we do moderate them, but we always approve them if they're not marketing spam. People read them. I read them, which is why I'm here.

• Like 20

Thank you for the comment.

I don't know what was going on with the comment system, but I cooled off and realized it was a bug. Now SprintUsers blocking me from registration - that is not a bug. :lol:

• Like 1