Sprint 5x5 vs T-Mobile 10x10

I doubt that it was a case of Sprint sending the memo to everyone except for Samsung.

Samsung has also had problems with its TPS reports.

AJ

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed it's the same folks who just 6 months ago who said, "I would just be happy if I had 3Mbps everywhere I went," now all of a sudden think they need to have 100Mbps?

These people are not going to be happy no matter what Sprint does.  I think they should go to T-Mobile.  Au revoir!  But you will only get 50Mbps+ on Tmo on about every 10th LTE site.  And you will only get it in your car facing the panels.  You aren't going to get it in your cubicle in the middle of the office building, or in the movie theater or in your basement.  And you certainly aren't going to get it outside the city limits.

AWS performs the same as PCS.  It is good as a capacity overlay for LTE.  It's magnificent for that.  Unless Tmo densifies their AWS/PCS network, the patchy LTE coverage is not going anywhere.  At least Sprint has a plan and it's being executed.  Tmo is just about at the end of the road on their upgrade.  Time to put up or shut up!  

And based on Legere's 137Mbps comments, I would be disappointed if I just hit 50Mbps on his network.  Not even half the size of his e-penis he's flaunting!  People say Sprint should under promise and over deliver.  What about this clown?  And I bet people and the media will not even hold him accountable for his over promise and under deliver because he says pithy comments about wireless corporations that everyone already despise.   :scratch:

Robert

I can somewhat vouch for this.  3 years ago, I had T-Mobile. I had no issues, until I went inside a building, especially at work. While there as no 4G at the time, I sat at my office, while my Mytouch 3G sat on Edge.  Battery life? Not pleasent when your phone is trying to hold a decent signal throughout the day, and can only get edge. I would walk outside, and Bam! 3G.  

I can only assume, this would be the same, if I had a 4G Device from T-Mobile.  John Legere is hyping up T-Mobile, but ... maybe in the end it's only because the company would be acquired at a higher price because they have attracted a few new subs?  

• Like 1

You won't see Sprint deploy a 10x10 in band 25 for a while, but as noted in another thread, a second 5x5 carrier is probably going to happen, at some point.

What do you mean by another carrier? Do you mean a totally different company than sprint?

What do you mean by another carrier? Do you mean a totally different company than sprint?

No. And this is why we do not refer to a wireless operator or provider as a "carrier."

AJ

• Like 1

Instead of one 5x5 you have two, so when one carrier gets full or loaded the network should switch you to the other carrier.

We should start a Tmo spoof like Dr. Who and the Weeping Angels. Instead of, "Don't blink!" It can be, "Don't move!"

Tmo customers! If you find Legere's mythical 147Mbps LTE speeds out in the real world, DON'T MOVE.  Not for a second! Do not even move!  Move one inch and your speed test is dead! Don't turn your back from your smartphone.  Don't even think about it! Don't move away! And don't MOVE!  Good luck.

weeping_angels_by_mooneymcmooneykins-d3j

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

FOR DOCTOR WHO REFERENCE:

As a doctor who fan, I fully support this!

• Like 3

I can somewhat vouch for this.  3 years ago, I had T-Mobile. I had no issues, until I went inside a building, especially at work. While there as no 4G at the time, I sat at my office, while my Mytouch 3G sat on Edge.  Battery life? Not pleasent when your phone is trying to hold a decent signal throughout the day, and can only get edge. I would walk outside, and Bam! 3G.  

I can only assume, this would be the same, if I had a 4G Device from T-Mobile.  John Legere is hyping up T-Mobile, but ... maybe in the end it's only because the company would be acquired at a higher price because they have attracted a few new subs?  

It would likely be worse.  They need a stronger signal, especially LTE, to be useful and deliver potent speeds.

Robert

As a doctor who fan, I fully support this!

I never would have guessed from your avatar!  ;)

Robert

• Like 1

What good is 137mbps , go a mile away and you are back on Dial up? Personal experience with LTE in my town,is that is has terrible range. I am curious is how they plan on keeping these people once they see they have no coverage where they go?

It's really based on personal preference. People want what's available now. And the truth is, T-Mobile has speeds that blow the doors off of Sprint in most urban areas. Living in the third largest city in America, I can say, I'm not impressed with Sprint's LTE speed. Sometimes, I would pay for a tmo device on edge just to pull up a mobile site in less than 2 minutes. Only the sprint faithful care about the scope of the project, and what they'll be doing in 2-3 years. The average consumer doesn't care and will bail quickly, or just avoid sprint all together.

What good is 137mbps , go a mile away and you are back on Dial up? Personal experience with LTE in my town,is that is has terrible range. I am curious is how they plan on keeping these people once they see they have no coverage where they go?

No one gets 137Mbps.  That is a theoretical maximum.  You have to have the right backhaul there and it has to not be burdened by any other connected technologies and sectors to get even above 100Mbps on a 20MHz channel.  And then you have to be staring at it.

DON'T MOVE.  Not for a second! Do not even move!  Move one inch and your speed test is dead! Don't turn your back from your smartphone.  Don't even think about it! Don't move away! And don't MOVE!  Good luck.

Robert

• Like 3

It's really based on personal preference. People want what's available now. And the truth is, T-Mobile has speeds that blow the doors off of Sprint in most urban areas. Living in the third largest city in America, I can say, I'm not impressed with Sprint's LTE speed. Sometimes, I would pay for a tmo device on edge just to pull up a mobile site in less than 2 minutes. Only the sprint faithful care about the scope of the project, and what they'll be doing in 2-3 years. The average consumer doesn't care and will bail quickly, or just avoid sprint all together.

I think you should do it.  If I was experiencing what you claim, I would have left Sprint.  Especially when Tmo is so good?  It makes you sound foolish to stay with Sprint.  You should go.  But remember, if you get the magical Legere speeds, DON'T MOVE!

Robert

• Like 4

I think you should do it.  If I was experiencing what you claim, I would have left Sprint.  Especially when Tmo is so good?  It makes you sound foolish to stay with Sprint.  You should go.  But remember, if you get the magical Legere speeds, DON'T MOVE!

Robert

This so very very much. I made that switch to tmobile, it made sense at the time now it doesnt. I went from 1mbps to 10mbps. However, I lost a lot of coverage, including in town. We have two island of LTE, one of which is a single site. In West Maui, mostly tourists and more affluent (i.e. on vzw and at&t because they dont care they pay $400 a month), we get 15mbps down and about 10mbps up. In Central Maui, more locals \ business premises etc, you get 3 down and 6 up. That is the reality and the future for tmo. Poor coverage and a declining network. If you are switching and making a comittment for 1-2 years, honestly I would wait it out with Sprint. Sprint will be better than tmo as soon as NV hits your area, once NV really rolls out with the overlay and the 800 LTE it will not only be better than tmo but continue to be better than tmo. Once Sprint completes enough of the rollout to start adding sites to increase coverage it will decimate tmo whilst tmo is still attempting to find the cash to continue its LTE rollout and work on starting it's 700mhz rollout in the areas it has where there isn't c51 issues. Sure I am on tmo, sure performance is good ish right now. I changed at the right time, now I am waiting to change back because the writing on the wall is not great. Sprint is already selling phones that support its additional bands, it is rolling out equipment and backhaul that will facilitate quicker upgrades. This may seem like a pro sprint rant, it is an objective argument, if you are looking at 3-9 months for sprint I would keep with it. 

Tmo likes to rant about headlines, they shout about lte and xmbps or new spectrum, the bottom line is look at how much they actually roll it out. How many locations have more than a few LTE sites, how many have the 10x10 or 20x20 they talk about? In Legeres mind if a few big cities have it then its time to scream about it. Not a great thing to hear when you have LTE that is swamped on peak already, before you have all those families with 5 iphones that suddenly get unlimited LTE on the network.

No one gets 137Mbps.  That is a theoretical maximum.  You have to have the right backhaul there and it has to not be burdened by any other connected technologies and sectors to get even above 100Mbps on a 20MHz channel.  And then you have to be staring at it.

Robert

Exactly. I guess not many people understand theoretical maximum? But it is what our brains are trained to go for, better looking situations. It is why stuff is usually marked it 4.99 instead of 5. It is just a trick on our brain thinking it is a better deal or cheaper by a good bit.  Big Numbers mixed with words can fool a brain pretty quick...Kind of like calculus 3 :P

Exactly. I guess not many people understand theoretical maximum? But it is what our brains are trained to go for, better looking situations. It is why stuff is usually marked it 4.99 instead of 5. It is just a trick on our brain thinking it is a better deal or cheaper by a good bit.  Big Numbers mixed with words can fool a brain pretty quick...Kind of like calculus 3 :P

Calc 3 wasn't a difficult class, that said I barely understood what I was doing, but I did it (and passed). Now Calc 2 was a killer, I took that 4 times....

No, that is unlikely.

With only one CDMA1X 800 carrier, it will not be able to handle all voice traffic. So, some CDMA1X 1900 carriers will also be necessary. And in a PCS A/B block 30 MHz (aka 15 MHz FDD) market, a 10 MHz x 10 MHz (aka 10 MHz FDD) carrier would take up two thirds of the available spectrum, leaving enough remaining spectrum for only three CDMA2000 carriers. Until Sprint shuts down EV-DO, three CDMA2000 carriers would be inadequate in most major markets. Additionally, many of the pre tri band LTE handsets do not support wider bandwidth LTE carriers.

AJ

How many EvDo carriers are on 1900? (arent they all 1.25x1.25?)