Sprint to buy PCS spectrum from Revol Wireless

bigsnake49

On the McDonalds on fire scale does Oakland rate worse than East Cleveland or better? I decided to take a ride through Oakland once on an evening to get some shots. I quickly decided it would be the wrong kind of shots and hightailed it out of there. It felt like being in Blackhawk Down, but then again I am a sheltered country boy. Makes me sad we have places like that or the others mentioned.  

Well actually there is "east Cleveland" which is just a neighborhood on the east side of Cleveland proper. Then there is East Cleveland which is a suburb of Cleveland. So which one are we talking about here? Just trying to catch up. Lol.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Here's the quick and dirty:

East Cleveland = corruption and crime.

East side of Cleveland = drugs, murder, serial killer Anthony Sowell, more drugs, more killing, Bone Thugz n Harmony (that's actually a plus), the Cleveland Clinic (another plus) and Halle Barry (makes it all worth it).

We're talking about the latter.

On the McDonalds on fire scale does Oakland rate worse than East Cleveland or better? I decided to take a ride through Oakland once on an evening to get some shots. I quickly decided it would be the wrong kind of shots and hightailed it out of there. It felt like being in Blackhawk Down, but then again I am a sheltered country boy. Makes me sad we have places like that or the others mentioned.

It works there, too...

Fun times in Oakland today. Oakland! Oakland! Come on down to Oakland town, everyone.

AJ

• Like 2

Wow.....I'm sure this is going on in Indy as it is full of revol stores....I could only imagine what's going down on the eastside.....on a different note....Cmon sprint live indy the 10x10 we deserve as we never got WiMAX and our LTE is already over loaded. Well at least in the city, thanks boost

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Wow.....I'm sure this is going on in Indy as it is full of revol stores....I could only imagine what's going down on the eastside.....on a different note....Cmon sprint live indy the 10x10 we deserve as we never got WiMAX and our LTE is already over loaded. Well at least in the city, thanks boost

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Was full of revol stores.....lol.. i've seen a ton of revol people come into sprint even though they are told to go to boost. They are interesting bunch and mostly go for sprint as you go. Most have been understanding and not mad about revol closing. They are pretty much the opposite of the US cellular customers i got to deal with earlier this year who all seemed to be pissed and blamed us personally for shutting down US cellular, sleeping with their daughters and killing the family dog.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

i got to deal with earlier this year who all seemed to be pissed and blamed us personally for shutting down US cellular, sleeping with their daughters and killing the family dog.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

At least it was Sprint. Remind them if it had been AT&T those last two may have been the other way around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update to this story. Revol will officially close up shop in January of 2014. Current Revol customers will be offered a free phone and free month of service through Sprint's Boost Mobile brand.  Also, some Revol wireless stores will be rebranded as Boost Mobile stores.  

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/regional-wireless-carrier-revol-shutter-operations-jan-16-boost-pick-subs/2013-12-17

Here is a table of the PCS licenses to be acquired from Revol:

mu7qfq.png

AJ

Ding dong Revol is done.... Its January 16th, time to start looking for additional Sprint carriers in these BTAs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've ever seen channel 150 used in our market (Cleveland) for EVDO:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390602427.666477.jpg.

Using AJ's calculations from his article a few months ago, this would be 1850 + (.05*150)=1857 MHz (could be way off, but that's my college try at understanding it).

I don't have time to look at the former Revol licenses that were transferred to Sprint, can anybody confirm if this is a new carrier from the Revol license acquisition?

First time I've ever seen channel 150 used in our market (Cleveland) for EVDO:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1390602427.666477.jpg.

Using AJ's calculations from his article a few months ago, this would be 1850 + (.05*150)=1857 MHz (could be way off, but that's my college try at understanding it).

I don't have time to look at the former Revol licenses that were transferred to Sprint, can anybody confirm if this is a new carrier from the Revol license acquisition?

No, that is not Revol spectrum; it is AT&T spectrum.  Something is amiss.  I highly doubt that your handset was actually connected to an EV-DO carrier at that center frequency.

AJ

No, that is not Revol spectrum; it is AT&T spectrum. Something is amiss. I highly doubt that your handset was actually connected to an EV-DO carrier at that center frequency.

AJ

Could that be the downlink carrier channel, effectively placing it at 1937 mHz (1930 + (.05*150)?

Could that be the downlink carrier channel, effectively placing it at 1937 mHz (1930 + (.05*150)?

It comes out the same either way, as the uplink and downlink are inherently paired.  That 80 MHz FDD offset is standard in the PCS band.

AJ

It comes out the same either way, as the uplink and downlink are inherently paired. That 80 MHz FDD offset is standard in the PCS band.

AJ

Weird, I'm using Digi's PRL 513, I wonder if my phone somehow picked up channel 150 but never actually registered a connection (if you look at the screen shot I don't show the typical 3G icon, just 1x). It's an iPhone 5 (CDMA version obviously).

Weird, I'm using Digi's PRL 513, I wonder if my phone somehow picked up channel 150 but never actually registered a connection (if you look at the screen shot I don't show the typical 3G icon, just 1x). It's an iPhone 5 (CDMA version obviously).

It could not have picked up channel 150 because there is nothing CDMA2000 there to pick up.  Channel 150 is right smack in the middle of AT&T's PCS A block license.  See the FCC license linked below:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=8908

My guess is that you caught the screen in the midst of a scan.

AJ

It could not have picked up channel 150 because there is nothing CDMA2000 there to pick up. Channel 150 is right smack in the middle of AT&T's PCS A block license. See the FCC license linked below:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=8908

My guess is that you caught the screen in the midst of a scan.

AJ

Well thank you for shattering my dream of making a positive contribution to S4GRU with your wealth of knowledge, AJ...back to the drawing board I guess.

Well thank you for shattering my dream of making a positive contribution to S4GRU with your wealth of knowledge, AJ...back to the drawing board I guess.

Keep searching! :tu:

• Like 2

Here is a table of the PCS licenses to be acquired from Revol:

mu7qfq.png

Revol appears to be closing up shop.  A lot of poor people are going to be pissed off.  Of course, in Cleveland, maybe they will just use pay phones...

AJ

You seem to have a liking for making a lot of poor people jokes. Just something I have noticed with you a lot, especially in the T-Mobile threads.

Anywho, I'm in the "poor person" Cleveland market where we still use payphones, and I have never met a single person with Revol. The Spectrum will be better used with Sprint.

You seem to have a liking for making a lot of poor people jokes. Just something I have noticed with you a lot, especially in the T-Mobile threads.

No, we mainly like to make fun of Cleveland, as many others do.  Say, you finally got a new football coach -- after getting turned down right and left.  I wonder how well that hire is going to work out.

Jokes aside, I admit that I can be callous.  I have problems with the negative correlation between poverty and education.  But thanks to the modern ubiquity of the Internet and the Gen X/Y mystique that everyone's opinion matters, we now get bombarded online with badly written, inadequately thought out comments from under educated people.

Moreover, many of the poor supposedly cannot afford laptops or home broadband, yet they have top of the line handsets that they use for all of their data needs, including streaming to their flat panel TVs and tethering to their gaming systems.  They place an undue burden on "unlimited" data.  The rest of us pay the price in network congestion.

As for T-Mobile, it seems to be catering to that young, dumb, poor, and urban crowd.  I just have little respect for that -- especially as T-Mobile leadership belittles the far more expansive network that Sprint is rebuilding.

Now, I am not sure why you felt the need to broach this subject...

AJ

• Like 3

No, we mainly like to make fun of Cleveland, as many others do.  Say, you finally got a new football coach -- after getting turned down right and left.  I wonder how well that hire is going to work out.

Jokes aside, I admit that I can be callous.  I have problems with the negative correlation between poverty and education.  But thanks to the modern ubiquity of the Internet and the Gen X/Y mystique that everyone's opinion matters, we now get bombarded online with badly written, inadequately thought out comments from under educated people.

Moreover, many of the poor supposedly cannot afford laptops or home broadband, yet they have top of the line handsets that they use for all of their data needs, including streaming to their flat panel TVs and tethering to their gaming systems.  They place an undue burden on "unlimited" data.  The rest of us pay the price in network congestion.

As for T-Mobile, it seems to be catering to that young, dumb, poor, and urban crowd.  I just have little respect for that -- especially as T-Mobile leadership belittles the far more expansive network that Sprint is rebuilding.

Now, I am not sure why you felt the need to broach this subject...

AJ

LOL the Browns. Our owner is a complete douche.

I only felt the need to bring it up because I read a lot of these threads and I see a very clear tendency that you have to berate people that aren't exactly like you in knowledge, wealth, status, etc. FWIW, I couldn't care less about T-Mobile or their crap network, I was just using it as an example.

• Like 1

LOL the Browns. Our owner is a complete douche.

I only felt the need to bring it up because I read a lot of these threads and I see a very clear tendency that you have to berate people that aren't exactly like you in knowledge, wealth, status, etc. FWIW, I couldn't care less about T-Mobile or their crap network, I was just using it as an example.

No problem.  That is a fair assessment.  I do get a bit carried away at times and could stand to tone down my rhetoric.

T-Mobile, though, is a good example.  Magenta's almost exclusively young, urban network focus -- which, in an odd dichotomy, dually appeals to both the uneducated poor and educated wealthy -- plus its potshots at Sprint have really raised our ire here at S4GRU.  I have no love lost for T-Mobile -- and yet I still have a secondary T-Mobile line.

AJ

• Like 3

The thing I don't get about WiWavelength's attitude about poorer wireless consumers is that Sprint is probably the network a plurality of this demographic uses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The thing I don't get about WiWavelength's attitude about poorer wireless consumers is that Sprint is probably the network a plurality of this demographic uses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There are those who prefer to ignore that Sprint has been working to attack the same demographic that T-Mobile has successfully managed to capture. At this point, most of those subscribers (being young and generally poorly paid right now) aren't considered extremely valuable by the bigger three operators.

The problem with that is that they are becoming an increasingly important portion of the subscriber base. The number of people that make up this portion increase almost daily, and they are poorly serviced by the larger operators. Both Sprint and T-Mobile try very hard to court these subscribers. Sprint tries to with Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile, and T-Mobile does so with its main brand and its MetroPCS brand.

The issue is, Sprint doesn't seem to be providing the value for the cost in many places these days, so these subscribers are leaving for T-Mobile (which is why the TMUS/Sprint porting ratio is ~3.5:1 in favor of T-Mobile). And waiting around isn't good enough either. Perhaps they'll come back if Sprint manages to execute on completing the development of Network Vision/Spark in time.

For Sprint, this is a horrible outcome. The more subscribers that leave, the less money Sprint has to complete its deployment. SoftBank is not going to be willing to invest in Sprint if they can't keep the subscribers they have. It makes no business sense to dump money into a company that isn't executing to provide a reasonable ROI on that investment. So even though SoftBank owns Sprint and has oodles of cash, it won't give Sprint money if it can't prove it can execute.

If that sounds familiar, I'll remind you of where that's from: T-Mobile USA's former situation with Deutsche Telekom. When T-Mobile USA started executing well and gaining subscribers last year, Deutsche Telekom increased the annual budget for network deployment and other growth initiatives for this year and next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Deutsche Telekom increases the budget again as T-Mobile's business plans continues to be very successful.

There are those who prefer to ignore that Sprint has been working to attack the same demographic that T-Mobile has successfully managed to capture. At this point, most of those subscribers (being young and generally poorly paid right now) aren't considered extremely valuable by the bigger three operators.

The problem with that is that they are becoming an increasingly important portion of the subscriber base. The number of people that make up this portion increase almost daily, and they are poorly serviced by the larger operators. Both Sprint and T-Mobile try very hard to court these subscribers. Sprint tries to with Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile, and T-Mobile does so with its main brand and its MetroPCS brand.

The issue is, Sprint doesn't seem to be providing the value for the cost in many places these days, so these subscribers are leaving for T-Mobile (which is why the TMUS/Sprint porting ratio is ~3.5:1 in favor of T-Mobile). And waiting around isn't good enough either. Perhaps they'll come back if Sprint manages to execute on completing the development of Network Vision/Spark in time.

For Sprint, this is a horrible outcome. The more subscribers that leave, the less money Sprint has to complete its deployment. SoftBank is not going to be willing to invest in Sprint if they can't keep the subscribers they have. It makes no business sense to dump money into a company that isn't executing to provide a reasonable ROI on that investment. So even though SoftBank owns Sprint and has oodles of cash, it won't give Sprint money if it can't prove it can execute.

If that sounds familiar, I'll remind you of where that's from: T-Mobile USA's former situation with Deutsche Telekom. When T-Mobile USA started executing well and gaining subscribers last year, Deutsche Telekom increased the annual budget for network deployment and other growth initiatives for this year and next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Deutsche Telekom increases the budget again as T-Mobile's business plans continues to be very successful.

You can't talk about Sprint now as if it is not SoftBank. The past decisions represent Sprint. Any present or future actions that Sprint makes are the responsibility of SoftBank. The buck stops with Masayoshi Son.

I don't buy that Mr. Son will continue to be a victim of Sprint. He can only be a victim of himself from now on. And I don't see that happening. He may fail at taking Sprint to number one. But he will not fail outright.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You can't talk about Sprint now as if it is not SoftBank. The past decisions represent Sprint. Any present or future actions that Sprint makes are the responsibility of SoftBank. The buck stops with Masayoshi Son.

I don't buy that Mr. Son will continue to be a victim of Sprint. He can only be a victim of himself from now on. And I don't see that happening. He may fail at taking Sprint to number one. But he will not fail outright.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with that assessment to some extent. However, it is also up to Son-san to make the choices needed to put Sprint on a path to growth. That will require taking a hard look at Sprint's leadership and where Sprint plans to go and reworking them as necessary.