Sprint SDC app coming soon

MacinJosh

As was previously displayed in last October's Sprint NV conference slides, the Android app for Sprint Direct Connect is slated for launch next month on the Samsung Transform Ultra. How soon it will launch to other Android smartphones in Sprint's existing lineup remains a mystery, but we can be for certain that because it runs on Qualcomm's QChat, that may be sooner than later. And according to the phonenews.com article, QChat is platform agnostic, giving Sprint the ability to launch Direct Connect onto Windows Phone, Blackberry, and even iOS.

Here's to the beginning of the soon to be quick end of iDEN.

Source: http://www.phonenews.com/internal-sprint-documentation-confirms-sprint-direct-connect-now-android-app-20049/

• Like 1

Along with Unl. Data, this could be an additional differentiator to keep Sprint apart from the pack if every phone or a select class had this capability. Unfourtunately, I think Sprint will let this wither and die. I don't see them doing anything in this segment to make it flourish.

It would be a good selling point if all the sprint phones were able to run that. Like you say though, they don't seem to care about promoting it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Direct connect was about the only thing Nextel had going. Durable handsets as well I guess. It was working until sprint put Nextel out to pasture

It would be a good selling point if all the sprint phones were able to run that. Like you say though, they don't seem to care about promoting it.

Sprint should keep promoting it. If they put ptt on they phone it will be used more than they think. I use ptt at work and it is great for very short conversations and you will know the person received the message. unlike text messages where you aren't sure if they person even received the message. Ptt will never be as big of a feature as it was but any thing will help Sprint right now.

It would be nice if they could talk handset makers into adding a ptt button which could double as a camera button

How about firmware updates to make the volume buttons reprogrammable for use with ptt? I could see that working.

Along with Unl. Data, this could be an additional differentiator to keep Sprint apart from the pack if every phone or a select class had this capability. Unfourtunately, I think Sprint will let this wither and die. I don't see them doing anything in this segment to make it flourish.

For Sprint to be working on releasing the Android app, I see them supporting Direct Connect for the foreseeable future.

Are they going to charge for using this service? I remember them trying to charge me $10 per month for SDC on my Renegade and I didn't use it enough to make it worth it then. Now there are free alternatives out there. Makes it a lot more difficult to convince people to pay for it. They would have to add something.

How about firmware updates to make the volume buttons reprogrammable for use with ptt? I could see that working.

The free ptt apps have the ability to use the volume button or camera button all you have to do is map whatever you want to use in the settings. I was thinking a ptt button would differentiate the app from just any other app. It would give sprint the appearance that they have something different and exclusive. I would like to see them propose an additional button to apple though LMAO

Are they going to charge for using this service? I remember them trying to charge me $10 per month for SDC on my Renegade and I didn't use it enough to make it worth it then. Now there are free alternatives out there. Makes it a lot more difficult to convince people to pay for it. They would have to add something.

That's a good question. I really don't know the answer to that. I guess we will find out come next month. This release coincides with the release of International Direct Connect over CDMA.

The free ptt apps have the ability to use the volume button or camera button all you have to do is map whatever you want to use in the settings. I was thinking a ptt button would differentiate the app from just any other app. It would give sprint the appearance that they have something different and exclusive. I would like to see them propose an additional button to apple though LMAO

A ptt button on an iPhone? I can't see that happening anytime in the future, lol.

• Like 1

By the looks of this, you may be able to use Sprint Direct Connect on any Android phone and get PTT features.

Quote:

"Sprint is finally about to release a software-only push-to-talk solution for its Android customers. This year Sprint plans to launch Direct Connect Now as a downloadable Android app, giving users access to Sprint's CDMA-based Direct Connect network while offering interoperability with the aging iDEN-based push-to-talk network..."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/20/2886788/sprint-android-direct-connect-now-push-to-talk

On Some phones there are dedicated camera buttons, maybe that will be used when the SDC app is opened?

TS

No one knows for sure yet, but we will sure see next month when the app is released.