Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I think Sprint doesn't want nTelos at all for themselves. I think Sprint wants Shentel to buy them and would try to broker that deal. And maybe even finance it in part or total. Sprint may work out a deal to buy nTelos and resell it immediately to Shentel.

Shentel is a much more compatible business and could handle all of nTelos' non strategic assets, whereas Sprint would just try to resell the NSA's. Also, I guess it's possible nTelos could just sell its wireless assets. But I think they just want out en toto.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

This seems like a very likely scenario.  Would sure be nice if it happened sooner rather than later.  Perhaps this is why nTelos is dragging their feet on the NV upgrade.

I think Sprint doesn't want nTelos at all for themselves. I think Sprint wants Shentel to buy them and would try to broker that deal. And maybe even finance it in part or total. Sprint may work out a deal to buy nTelos and resell it immediately to Shentel.

Shentel is a much more compatible business and could handle all of nTelos' non strategic assets, whereas Sprint would just try to resell the NSA's. Also, I guess it's possible nTelos could just sell its wireless assets. But I think they just want out en toto.

I think a Shentel buyout (possibly brokered by Sprint) is a sound idea. That said, I think an independent nTelos can survive (and thrive) too with the right leadership.

This seems like a very likely scenario. Would sure be nice if it happened sooner rather than later. Perhaps this is why nTelos is dragging their feet on the NV upgrade.

Our thread title is a little misleading. I should probably clarify that nTelos is not doing a full Network Vision upgrade. nTelos has their own network and it is not a part of the Sprint network. This is different from Shentel, which is a part of the Sprint network. So technically, nTelos is not installing Network Vision equipment, nor converting their sites to NV standards.

What they are doing is adding LTE equipment to their existing sites. They are using the same remote radios to do this overlay. However, in any technical sense it is not Network Vision.

• Like 1

This seems like a very likely scenario.  Would sure be nice if it happened sooner rather than later.  Perhaps this is why nTelos is dragging their feet on the NV upgrade.

I think they where defintetly dragging their feet while waiting to sign an updated agreement with Sprint. I think their deployment could potential move at a near Shentel pace giving nTelos's close relationship with Lumos. It will be interesting to see where they are at 6 months from now....

• Like 1

Our thread title is a little misleading. I should probably clarify that nTelos is not doing a full Network Vision upgrade. nTelos has their own network and it is not a part of the Sprint network. This is different from Shentel, which is a part of the Sprint network. So technically, nTelos is not installing Network Vision equipment, nor converting their sites to NV standards.

What they are doing is adding LTE equipment to their existing sites. They are using the same remote radios to do this overlay. However, in any technical sense it is not Network Vision.

Does this mean that they are not required or inclined to upgrade ?  They have no real advantage over any other carrier.  I would imaging that attaching themselves to Sprint has helped them more.  Wouldn't that make them a more likely buyout target ?

I am currently setting at 7 Elleven at exit 94 off I-64 in waynesboro, va and i have no 4g on sprint but fast 3g. I am getting 1.5- 2 mb download and about 1-1.5 upload... and the same for when i drive down into town. I will let you guys know what i get at the last waynesboro exit in a little bit.

I am currently setting at 7 Elleven at exit 94 off I-64 in waynesboro, va and i have no 4g on sprint but fast 3g. I am getting 1.5- 2 mb download and about 1-1.5 upload... and the same for when i drive down into town. I will let you guys know what i get at the last waynesboro exit in a little bit.

Are you on eHRPD or CDMA EVDO on your signal status screen?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Update us ASAP..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this mean that they are not required or inclined to upgrade ? They have no real advantage over any other carrier. I would imaging that attaching themselves to Sprint has helped them more. Wouldn't that make them a more likely buyout target ?

Yeah, they were not required to upgrade. However, Sprint threatened to overbuild them starting next year if they did not agree to new wholesale terms and an LTE overlay. I'm not sure if it makes them more likely as a buyout target. But I imagine Tmo would be interested too. nTelos also has a fair sized AWS network and spectrum.

Make sure you cycle your airplane mode several times while trying to find a signal.

• Like 1

Make sure you cycle your airplane mode several times while trying to find a signal.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I did that a few times it didn't make a difference. on another note you drive right past the nTelos main office and I just at a picture of the towers and we'll have to upLoad it on here later.

• Like 1

I did that a few times it didn't make a difference. on another note you drive right past the nTelos main office and I just at a picture of the towers and we'll have to upLoad it on here later.

It's possible that it's live, but authentication for Sprint accounts is not set up yet. Thanks for checking.

It's possible that it's live, but authentication for Sprint accounts is not set up yet. Thanks for checking.

When do you think authentication for sprint accounts will go live? Is it that complicated to do or are they just giving their own customers first access for a while?

Do you have the signal check app ?  Would it see the LTE signal even without authentication ?

When do you think authentication for sprint accounts will go live? Is it that complicated to do or are they just giving their own customers first access for a while?

I have no idea how it is done with wholesale partners. I know with Clearwire, it was set up with a different proxy for Sprint customers and they authenticated directly on the Sprint network through Clearwire. For all I know, nTelos may just use a white list of allowed devices. Since I'm ignorant of how nTelos/Sprint authenticate users, I could not begin to speculate on timelines.

They aren't really promoting this, so I don't think their customers are even aware of it.  

I made it to W'boro today, and found NO 4G love. :(

There was robust 1xRTT and eHRPD (which, as usual, kicked me off a data connection) and no LTE according to Signal Check. I tried toggling Airplane mode several times (what a pain now, thanks to 4.3!), but no luck.

The first 2 screenshots are when I switched back to CDMA mode to make sure I could get data at all, and the 3rd shows what happened on CDMA/LET mode: Nada.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1387491956371.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387491977538.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387492000457.jpg

I made it to W'boro today, and found NO 4G love. :( There was robust 1xRTT and eHRPD (which, as usual, kicked me off a data connection) and no LTE according to Signal Check. Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

:( Fingers crossed Sprint customers just aren't authorized to connect yet but will soon. It's a shame we can't right away though.

• Like 2

I made it to W'boro today, and found NO 4G love. :(There was robust 1xRTT and eHRPD (which, as usual, kicked me off a data connection) and no LTE according to Signal Check. I tried toggling Airplane mode several times (what a pain now, thanks to 4.3!), but no luck.The first 2 screenshots are when I switched back to CDMA mode to make sure I could get data at all, and the 3rd shows what happened on CDMA/LET mode: Nada.Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

We might want to send that error to the Signal Check dev that's on this forum and see what that code means.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk