Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

After reading the article, all I get is that the current agreement that expires in 2015 ONLY covers CDMA service. There is no mention of LTE for Sprint subs anywhere, save from speculation on the part of the author. It appears NTELOS guys are saying the truth.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If it was strictly the nTelos reps saying that their LTE will be off limits to Sprint customers I would be more likely to believe they are lying in order to drum up customers of their own.

Its kind of disturbing to hear Sprint reps repeating the same thing. This makes me wonder if this rumor may have legs.

I can't imagine they would realistically expect Sprint subs to move over to ntelos. Either through Sprint or direct , ntelos is getting paid. I think reality is that their agreement does not include anything other than CDMA/EVDO services. According to sources within this thread, they are demanding a 10 dollar a month ransom from their own customers to upgrade to LTE. It would stand to reason that they would want Sprint to make a separate contract for LTE. SPRINT might actually over build in this area. There Doesn't Seem To Be Evidence Of Contract Talks Beyond 2015, at least not at a glance.

After reading the article, all I get is that the current agreement that expires in 2015 ONLY covers CDMA service. There is no mention of LTE for Sprint subs anywhere, save from speculation on the part of the author. It appears NTELOS guys are saying the truth.

Last paragraph says "The carrier had previously announced plans to have 70% of its potential customer base covered with LTE services by the end of 2014, with the network serving both its own customers as well as roaming customers from Sprint."

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

It would actually be better for Sprint to overbuild in the long run. Especially if it is done via Shentel. Shentel is one of the best regionals in the country. nTelos is not.

The only negative of Sprint/Shentel overbuilding in West Virginia and Western Virginia is that Sprint subscribers in these areas will be relegated to 3G for a long while. But at least as nTelos brings new backhaul to their LTE sites, their 3G should improve. nTelos has some good 3G performing areas. This would make it even more widespread.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Last paragraph says "The carrier had previously announced plans to have 70% of its potential customer base covered with LTE services by the end of 2014, with the network serving both its own customers as well as roaming customers from Sprint."

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

The network would serve both direct and Sprint customer, though it does not specify what services would be available. Their network can serve CDMA/LTE to direct customers and CDMA ONLY to others.

It would actually be better for Sprint to overbuild in the long run. Especially if it is done via Shentel. Shentel is one of the best regionals in the country. nTelos is not.

The only negative of Sprint/Shentel overbuilding in West Virginia and Western Virginia is that Sprint subscribers in these areas will be relegated to 3G for a long while. But at least as nTelos brings new backhaul to their LTE sites, their 3G should improve. nTelos has some good 3G performing areas. This would make it even more widespread.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At least then LTE would for sure be coming. Not a maybe, maybe not situation like it is with nTelos...

• Like 1

At least then LTE would for sure be coming. Not a maybe, maybe not situation like it is with nTelos...

LTE will come but just when and by who is the question. I hope sprint over builds down I77 and I79 with shentel expanding down I81 to Wytheville VA. But even if it was already a sprint area I wouldn't expect them to have LTE until march. I don't think they are worried about wv or western va until they are close to 75% done with LTE on their network. I live on the northern edge of ntelos I am hoping 800 will reach into Morgantown and cover I68 from pa towers.

LTE will come but just when and by who is the question. 

And that very fact is a huge disappointment. Seeing as how I have been expecting it since November and now it is looking like i am not getting it is a huge let down and really puts me off. Not only will there be a gaping hole in Sprint's coverage map but it will not be filled until after most all of NV is completed. It was extremely stupid of them, in my opinion, to have a contract for almost an entire state and a half to be covered by a regional and NOT include LTE. Unless they can work something out in the near future to achieve that i will most likely be paying double on AT&T, for less data, in the near future when it comes to my cell phone plan.

Mini rant over.

Edited by shawneyboy123
  • Like 2

And that very fact is a huge disappointment. Seeing as how I have been expecting it since November and now it ---------------------------

Article from  Sept 2013 which is still vague on the LTE issue in NTELOS territory --

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-ntelos-settle-disputes-over-billing/2013-09-25

This is certainly a frustrating position for those of us that are Sprint customers living in nTelos territory. I've been with Sprint for over 6 years now on Sero 500. Prior to LTE I felt like Sprint was definitely by best option. I paid $68/month for 2 lines the first 2 years of my contract and now I spend $111/month since moving to Sero premium. I'd rather stay with Sprint in order to keep my unlimited data. Although the other carriers (ATT, USCC, VZN) all have LTE here, a 2 phone plan would cost significantly more and wouldn't have unlimited data.

If Sprint over builds it may take a vary long time before WV residents would be able to take advantage of it. If they don't over build then we are at the mercy of crappy little nTelos and we may have to pay additional fees to access their LTE or even worse not have access to it at all.

Shentel will not be coming down this way. Trust me

Sprint has publicly threatened having Shentel overbuild nTelos territory.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

My question is can people on ntelos roam on sprint lte now that they have lte capable phones?

When this first came up a month or so ago I was told by an nTelos rep that nTelos customers would NOT be able to roam on Sprints LTE network. Which for potential nTelos customers is not a selling point. So the premise of nTelos reps lying to move Sprint customers over to nTelos is not 100% valid. If they were bold enough to lie about Sprint customers not being able to use their LTE towers you would think they probably also would lie and say they could use Sprints towers. I'm not certain but its just a thought.