Is 3G more useful than a WiFi connection?

The Dave

I've been thinking about this particular phenomenon for the last couple of months and decided to make mention of it. For the past few months after NV upgrades were completed, I have found myself turning my wifi off more frequently in favor of using Sprint 3G to browse the internet and check email. I have found that using 3G results in much faster connections to webpages after clicking on links and allows gmail to load faster than using wifi. There are times when it just sits there as if confused about loading a site when I am on wifi. Once I turn it off, things load practically the instant I click on any link. This isn't just using one particular wifi site, either. This is using the network at my house (comcast 30/10 using dlink wireless n), two sites at work (comcast business class 50/10 using dlink and a linksys) and another area at work uses AT&T DSL (25 down, not sure of up) using a netgear. I've also connected to wifi at various public hotspots.

Is this just the case of a universal wifi congestion since practically everywhere uses the technology and it's just become jammed up? I've connected both on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequencies with similar results. It's odd to think that Sprint's 3G EVDO network has become this dependable and fast compared to such a variety of high speed options out there. I was just pondering this today as I turned off wifi yet again because I was tired of my Wells Fargo app just sitting there at the login screen.

wifi 3G

Edit: love my wimax 4G

• Like 1

Nope.  If this is not psychosomatic and actually occurs across multiple Wi-Fi networks, then something is likely wrong with the Wi-Fi stack in your handset.

AJ

• Like 1

Nope.  If this is not psychosomatic and actually occurs across multiple Wi-Fi networks, then something is likely wrong with the Wi-Fi stack in your handset.

AJ

Maybe my phone has been dropped too many times. My 4G antenna sometimes doesn't like to turn on and I have to restart my phone before it will let me even toggle it on.

While not directly related to a WiFi issue, I've found that there are times that I forget that I'm on 3G when I'm using my phone.  Month after month it has been getting so much more reliable and just fine for web browsing and email that I don't even notice that I've forgotten to turn WiFi on when I get home, etc.

• Like 1

...I don't even notice that I've forgotten to turn WiFi on when I get home, etc.

You need not turn off Wi-Fi.  Just leave it on all the time so that it connects automatically to your trusted networks.

AJ

• Like 3

You need not turn off Wi-Fi.  Just leave it on all the time so that it connects automatically to your trusted networks.

AJ

I'm well aware.  I turn it off because at work we have a proxy filter that blocks services I use on my phone, so I turn it off at times when I need those services, and I forget to turn it back on because I don't really notice.  Otherwise, I leave it on at both work and home.

I'm well aware.  I turn it off because at work we have a proxy filter that blocks services I use on my phone, so I turn it off at times when I need those services, and I forget to turn it back on because I don't really notice.  Otherwise, I leave it on at both work and home.

Uh, why is your handset automatically connecting to your network at work?  If you do not want it to connect to a certain SSID or any open network, you have control over that.

AJ

• Like 1

The Dave, you are very lucky.....

Your 4G Wimax is faster then most of my 3G readings.... (My area is not fully up graded).

So, WiFi is a must.

The bottom line depends on where one lives and who is your carrier....

Lateck,

Your phone may have WIFI sleep settings, the standard setting on the galaxy S3 is to disconnect from the WIFI network when the screen is off; permitting you are not connected to your charger. This is changeable in advanced WIFI settings. 

I am blaming "WIFI LAG" on the device, try to dig up the advanced wifi settings and enable your phone to stay connected even while sleeping.  My S3 pings in >10ms on my WIFI in no way shape or form is Sprint faster. 

-Will

And, not to gloat (but, rather, to speak of things to come), but I honestly don't recall the last time I was stuck on 3G here in Atlanta.  And that's just with PCS LTE enabled.  Once I'm able to get my paws on a triband device I may just have a geek orgasm over the speeds I'll be getting. More importantly, however, will be the great leap in in-building penetration and general coverage gap infill.

As an aside..as this is a former Clear market..I'm assuming TD LTE is also already active here..though I certainly have no evidence of that. 

Uh, why is your handset automatically connecting to your network at work?  If you do not want it to connect to a certain SSID or any open network, you have control over that.

AJ

I guess I don't understand the point of your comment, AJ.  I fully understand how to control my WiFi settings, and I run the WiFi network at my work.  I'm not going to jam up this post with why sometimes I want to be on my work WiFi and why sometimes I want to use Sprint.  I have my reasons, and they are quite valid.  The point of my original post was that sometimes when I'm using the Sprint network instead of WiFi, I don't notice it as much lately as the 3G has become all that more reliable.

I guess I don't understand the point of your comment, AJ.

You need to be on Wi-Fi at home if you want "unlimited" data to last and be usable.  From the less knowledgeable who want "unlimited" data to just magically remain viable, we get a lot of flack about that editorial position.  But our position is sound.  I am not accusing you of being one of those uninformed folks, but please use Wi-Fi at home.  If you care about "unlimited" data, you serve your own interest by doing so.

AJ

• Like 2

I don't leave my wifi on all the time and it isn't for battery life either. I don't like my phone automatically connecting to open networks. I connect then fire up my VPN on open networks.

Um... if your device is auto-connecting to unknown, open networks, you have a more severe problem than battery life. Even with Sprint's "connections optimizer", you'll only connect to networks that you've previously connected to.

Um... if your device is auto-connecting to unknown, open networks, you have a more severe problem than battery life. Even with Sprint's "connections optimizer", you'll only connect to networks that you've previously connected to.

No connection optimizer here, removed it totally. But anyways lots of people are lazy and use the generic network names out there.

My wifi is set to always be active and maximize performance checked. I also noticed it connects often to random sites that are named "linksys" with no password. Lots of linksys owners out there who aren't aware of how to set up their networks.

• Like 2

If you need to have an unsecured "linksys" network in your permitted SSID list, you need to smack the person who set up that network.

AJ

• Like 5

If you need to have an unsecured "linksys" network in your permitted SSID list, you need to smack the person who set up that network.

AJ

Restaurant IT knowledge is lacking sometimes. The leave the default password too. I am not sure why when I leave restaurants like this the SSIDs change to "virus testing" for some reason.

• Like 1

I think what he means is he uses wifi at work, but the proxy that is setup for the wireless blocks sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.  So when he wants to hit those sites he shuts off his wifi, then sometimes forgets to turn it back on.

I have a similar issue at work.  I connect to the wifi at work, but until i open a browser and put in my credentials into the wireless proxy, I won't be able to send or receive through wifi.  Sometimes, I just shut my wifi off if I don't feel like open my browser, putting in my id, and adding by rsa token just be able to get use my phone for anything requiring data.

I've been thinking about this particular phenomenon for the last couple of months and decided to make mention of it. For the past few months after NV upgrades were completed, I have found myself turning my wifi off more frequently in favor of using Sprint 3G to browse the internet and check email. I have found that using 3G results in much faster connections to webpages after clicking on links and allows gmail to load faster than using wifi. There are times when it just sits there as if confused about loading a site when I am on wifi. Once I turn it off, things load practically the instant I click on any link. This isn't just using one particular wifi site, either. This is using the network at my house (comcast 30/10 using dlink wireless n), two sites at work (comcast business class 50/10 using dlink and a linksys) and another area at work uses AT&T DSL (25 down, not sure of up) using a netgear. I've also connected to wifi at various public hotspots.

Is this just the case of a universal wifi congestion since practically everywhere uses the technology and it's just become jammed up? I've connected both on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequencies with similar results. It's odd to think that Sprint's 3G EVDO network has become this dependable and fast compared to such a variety of high speed options out there. I was just pondering this today as I turned off wifi yet again because I was tired of my Wells Fargo app just sitting there at the login screen.

wifiattachicon.gif2013-10-20_10-10-05.png 3Gattachicon.gif2013-10-20_10-11-52.png

Edit: love my wimax 4Gattachicon.gif2013-10-20_10-21-43.png

I am having the same scenario, my phone on wifi sometimes gets stuck on webpages. I turn wifi off and 4g kicks in and loads the page immediately. But the pages stuck loading can be due to my internet provider(att) or interference from a trillion other wifi networks nearby. 

I think 3G is way more reliable than WiFi. At least at my school it is. School WiFi is very laggy & slow & when im trying to load IG it always stalls. Ain't nobody got time for that. 3G always works tho & it seems to be a lot more snappy,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk