Deal : Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 for $50 with cheap data plans

maxsilver

On the Sprint website, they are listing the white Galaxy Tab 3 7.0in with 1900 PCS LTE for only $50 on contract. The compatible data plans start at just $5.00/month.

24 months at $5.00 per month = $120. Plus the $50 upfront brings the total to $180, which makes this equal to or cheaper than the Wifi model (which regularly retails at $200, or is on Amazon.com for $180)

You essentially get the LTE+CDMA chipset for "free", and get some small amount of Sprint data for "free".

The $5 and $10 tablet plans are too small for me to feel comfortable using, but the $15 plan includes 2GB, and 100mb roaming. That seems like a sweet deal (cheaper per gigabyte than the next two lowest hotspot plans)

- - -

Anyone looked into this at all? Anyone used the Sprint variant of the tablet?

I'm personally not interested in the tablet at all, but I'd love to get grandfathered into a 2GB $15/month tablet plan, and $50 to do that seems reasonable (even if I'd only end up using it as a Mobile Hotspot anyway).

Thoughts?

They actually just extended that 2 GB/$15 promotion. It was set to end on Friday, but they kept it going.

It's definitely a good deal, but if you do go with the $5/month plan, you have to watch out - it's only 25 MB of data, and overages are $15/GB. If you use it at all outside of WiFi, you'll get smacked.

Do note that you have to sign a two-year contract on the tab to do this. That's not something many people are willing to do.

Also also note that, in the store, you'll almost never get someone telling you about the $5/month plan. I am under the impression that dealers only get fully paid on a tablet sale that's on a plan that's at least the $15.

• Like 2

They actually just extended that 2 GB/$15 promotion. It was set to end on Friday, but they kept it going.

It's definitely a good deal, but if you do go with the $5/month plan, you have to watch out - it's only 25 MB of data, and overages are $15/GB. If you use it at all outside of WiFi, you'll get smacked.

Do note that you have to sign a two-year contract on the tab to do this. That's not something many people are willing to do.

Also also note that, in the store, you'll almost never get someone telling you about the $5/month plan. I am under the impression that dealers only get fully paid on a tablet sale that's on a plan that's at least the $15.

koi (and others) - I assume Sprint blocks the 'Mobile Hotspot' app on Tablets, correct?

As in, If I went into the store, and bought the Tab 3 on the $15/month 2GB plan (on contract), when I open the 'Official Sprint Mobile Hotspot' app, it will try to block me from using this, correct? (It will say something like 'your plan is not authorized for hotspot use').

I don't really want the tablet. But I really like the 2GB + 100mb roaming for $15/month plan, and I'm assuming they won't let me put that plan on a Netgear Zing (or similar). If I could use the hotspot on the tablet, it would be worth it until tri-band tablets come out and I can switch the device over.

Can you change plans in the middle of a contract with a tablet? If I signed up for the $5/mo. plan, could I change it to the $15 plan for a month if I wanted more data? Or is that not possible because they want to charge overage fees?

Dumb question... But is it "easy" to disable the cdma /lte radios?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

Sure, enable Airplane Mode and then re-enable WiFi.

koi (and others) - I assume Sprint blocks the 'Mobile Hotspot' app on Tablets, correct?

I have no idea. I'd check on our Demo Tablets, but Sprint's demo accounts include unlimited hotspot service by default anyways, so that wouldn't really help out. I can try and sneak check it next time we sell one...
  • Like 1

I got one. Tablet seems a little buggy.. Hotspot function is available and works. I got the 15/month plan.... All in all a good cheap tablet. It's no note..

I looked at it, and the more I did, the less I was all warm and fuzzy about it.  After the data, activation, and fees, you're probably in for at least 160 bucks (more like 180-190 I'm thinking).  You can get a new Nexus 7 (albeit with Wi-Fi only) for $229 without a contract.  Everything I read puts the Nexus head and shoulders above everything in that range.  If you need cdma/LTE, different conversation, but I would think you'll also need more than the $5/month data.  So, think I'm going the Nexus 7 route.

I looked at it, and the more I did, the less I was all warm and fuzzy about it.  After the data, activation, and fees, you're probably in for at least 160 bucks (more like 180-190 I'm thinking).  You can get a new Nexus 7 (albeit with Wi-Fi only) for $229 without a contract.  Everything I read puts the Nexus head and shoulders above everything in that range.  If you need cdma/LTE, different conversation, but I would think you'll also need more than the $5/month data.  So, think I'm going the Nexus 7 route.

How are you getting $190?

$49.99 - tablet.

$36 - activation fee. waived if you have the Credit Union discount on your account.

There's also Sales Tax, I suppose. But that's either $49.99 or $85.99, plus tax.

You're then looking at $15/month for 2 GB of data.

That's not really comparable to a WiFi only device in price. The LTE version of the Nexus 7 is $349, and then $20/month for 1 GB on VZW, $30/month for 3 GB on ATT, and $30/month for 2.5 GB on TMo. Obviously, a WiFi only device is cheaper overall and has no Monthly Recurring Cost... but it's WiFi only, and well, this is S4GRU, not WiFiRU :P

That being said, I personally own a Nexus 7 2013, and have played with a Tab 3 (as of like 20 minutes ago), and I much prefer the Nexus 7.

• Like 2

Hmm second time I tried to activate hotspot it told me I need a hotspot sub... :-(

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

$49.99 - tablet.

$36 - activation fee. waived if you have the Credit Union discount on your account.

There's also Sales Tax, I suppose. But that's either $49.99 or $85.99, plus tax.

That's not really comparable to a WiFi only device in price. The LTE version of the Nexus 7 is $349, and then $20/month for 1 GB on VZW, $30/month for 3 GB on ATT, and $30/month for 2.5 GB on TMo. Obviously, a WiFi only device is cheaper overall and has no Monthly Recurring Cost... but it's WiFi only, and well, this is S4GRU, not WiFiRU :P

That being said, I personally own a Nexus 7 2013, and have played with a Tab 3 (as of like 20 minutes ago), and I much prefer the Nexus 7.

Tablet - Free ($49 if you don't attend a Tablet Tuesday)

Activation - $36

25MB plan - $5/month x 24 months

Total - $156 ($205 if you pay $49 for the tablet), plus taxes, etc.

I get the whole Wi-Fi vs. Data concept.  The point I was trying to make is that for someone who is debating tablets and doesn't need much, or anything, in the way of mobile data (even a 1 GB plan isn't going to take you very far unless you're doing a lot on Wi-Fi), the Nexus 7 at $229 with Wi-Fi only is a much better tablet than the Tab 7 with data and Wi-Fi imo.  

Edited by atm4three

I got one of those Tabs from verizon a few months back.  Tried to test Sensorly mapping.  Sensorly only had 50% functionality on the tab.  It didn't have access to the network info to upload to Sensorly. I returned it.  Afraid to get one on Sprint due to the same issue.

Tablet - Free ($49 if you don't attend a Tablet Tuesday)

Activation - $36

25MB plan - $5/month x 24 months

Total - $156 ($205 if you pay $49 for the tablet), plus taxes, etc.

I get the whole Wi-Fi vs. Data concept.  The point I was trying to make is that for someone who is debating tablets and doesn't need much, or anything, in the way of mobile data (even a 1 GB plan isn't going to take you very far unless you're doing a lot on Wi-Fi), the Nexus 7 at $229 with Wi-Fi only is a much better tablet than the Tab 7 with data and Wi-Fi imo.  

Can someone explain Tablet Tuesday to me?  My wife "needs" one and I was curious about this.  I was planning on going in to the Sprint store today to go look at one. Do I have to ask for this promotion or something?

$49.99 - tablet.

The monthly fee is not just the $15, additional fees are added, those fees that should be in the monthly fee and not added later.

Can someone explain Tablet Tuesday to me? My wife "needs" one and I was curious about this. I was planning on going in to the Sprint store today to go look at one. Do I have to ask for this promotion or something?

Some stores do a tablet Tuesday where we do ready now training geared towards tablets. If you cone you get $50 off in store on something tablet related.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

I got one of those Tabs from verizon a few months back.  Tried to test Sensorly mapping.  Sensorly only had 50% functionality on the tab.  It didn't have access to the network info to upload to Sensorly. I returned it.  Afraid to get one on Sprint due to the same issue.

Yah sensorly does not appear to work with it..

Some stores do a tablet Tuesday where we do ready now training geared towards tablets. If you cone you get $50 off in store on something tablet related.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

Coworker and I both got it for free yesterday. Perfect size to use as a reader.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I just picked one of these up (Ordered online, picking up tomorrow)....According to my order receipt...I'm getting the $36 waived....Just picked the $5 plan as I will disable internal LTE and just use my Netgear Zing if i'm out and about....Can't beat it for the price...