Question regarding flagpole sites

Marv1

I've seen a handful of these flagpole sites in my area, or nearby areas that belong to Sprint. My question is how do crews work on sites like this? What can be found inside? Yesterday I seen a crane at one of these sites, being evenly leveled at the very top of the pole.

It honestly depends on if it's multicarrier or not. If it's single carrier, let's use Sprint, they have a decision to make. Keep the antennas that are already inside the pole and just add RRUs/RRHs and new cabinets, or they can replace the whole pole with NV equipment inside. You'll still see RRHs/RRUs at the base of the pole.

It is possible that just the upper part of the pole could be replaced if there isn't equipment throughout the whole pole. Here are some good stealth sites: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/08/examples-of-cell-phone-tower-disguises/

• Like 2

Here's a pic of one of the 3 Sprint flagpole sites I took this evening (seen on sponsor map) that I drive by daily going to work. Pic is a little dark due to overcast. My guess is cabinets are in the fenced area. LTE/3G tend to flip back and forth on some days. The 2 other sites are located on business property. One about a mile and half from where I live is located at an car auction lot which have 3 flagpoles lined up side by side. The 3rd site is located at a fire station behind fire truck garages, and also have 3 flagpoles.

Here's another question. Why do some flagpole sites have more than one flagpole, compared to a single flagpole site?

https://db.tt/HS8cMJio

It honestly depends on if it's multicarrier or not. If it's single carrier, let's use Sprint, they have a decision to make. Keep the antennas that are already inside the pole and just add RRUs/RRHs and new cabinets, or they can replace the whole pole with NV equipment inside. You'll still see RRHs/RRUs at the base of the pole.

It is possible that just the upper part of the pole could be replaced if there isn't equipment throughout the whole pole. Here are some good stealth sites: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/08/examples-of-cell-phone-tower-disguises/

Love the cactus sites!!

• Like 1

here in central new jersey in east brunswick there is a flag pole tower that serves my area how can i tell if it has been upgraded

Comparing the NID of that site versus a known NV site.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Here's another question. Why do some flagpole sites have more than one flagpole, compared to a single flagpole site?

All depends on the carrier limit of the tower.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

how do i get the NID ?

Using mikejeep's SC and SCP app will provide that information for you: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/

Using the app and checking the Completed Sites map will assist in confirming NV.

Here's a pic of one of the 3 Sprint flagpole sites I took this evening (seen on sponsor map) that I drive by daily going to work. Pic is a little dark due to overcast. My guess is cabinets are in the fenced area. LTE/3G tend to flip back and forth on some days. The 2 other sites are located on business property. One about a mile and half from where I live is located at an car auction lot which have 3 flagpoles lined up side by side. The 3rd site is located at a fire station behind fire truck garages, and also have 3 flagpoles.

https://db.tt/HS8cMJio

That's only one.  Behind it that is a sign.

Edit:  I reread your post...  Can you put up a picture of the site with multiple flagpoles?

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a few scenarios for Network Vision upgrades at flagpole sites:

1. Increase the diameter of the pole to be able to fit new NV panels, and ground mount RRU's
  2. Convert the site to a monopole site with exposed panels and RRU's mounted to the pole
  3. Make into a GMO site with ground mounted RRU's
  4. Do not upgrade the site

Seems like #1 is the most common.  #3 is also pretty common.  I have only seen #2 happen once with Sprint in my observations, but I have seen it happen several times with AT&T and Verizon.

Robert

I've seen a few scenarios for Network Vision upgrades at flagpole sites:

1. Increase the diameter of the pole to be able to fit new NV panels, and ground mount RRU's

So, part of Network Vision is pole enhancement?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Last weekend, while I was driving by a park I knew that has 2 stealth sites, and noticed a stealth site showing all equipment on it, crews have been working on. So yesterday, I decided to go back. I took pics of this site, and the other (pic 2) a few hundred feet from it. Can anyone explain what we are looking at for a site like this? There are many sites like this at parks throughout. This is the first time seeing a site like this in person showing all equipment on it.

20150530_180723.jpg20150530_180430.jpg20150530_175839.jpg20150530_180921.jpg

Last weekend, while I was driving by a park I knew that has 2 stealth sites, and noticed a stealth site showing all equipment on it, crews have been working on. So yesterday, I decided to go back. I took pics of this site, and the other (pic 2) a few hundred feet from it. Can anyone explain what we are looking at for a site like this? There are many sites like this at parks throughout. This is the first time seeing a site like this in person showing all equipment on it.

Not sure what you mean what you should be looking for...

I don't see any Sprint NV equipment on that site. That's what you would be looking for.

S4GRU is now allowing photos of full frontal nudity???

AJ

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is only barely on topic for this thread, but there aren't really any threads for me to ask this in. The site in question is a flagpole though.

I noticed a crane parked in front of my home flagpole site and got a little excited because the only other carrier on it is Cricket who already did their LTE gear upgrades for this site a year ago. Upon further investigation I found that none of the Sprint gear had been touched and there were small pieces of green duct tape on all of the Cricket cabinets. Is AT&T decommissioning redundant Cricket sites already? There is an AT&T site across the street. If so, will Sprint be able to take advantage of the now-vacant space on the flagpole?

I know this is only barely on topic for this thread, but there aren't really any threads for me to ask this in. The site in question is a flagpole though.

I noticed a crane parked in front of my home flagpole site and got a little excited because the only other carrier on it is Cricket who already did their LTE gear upgrades for this site a year ago. Upon further investigation I found that none of the Sprint gear had been touched and there were small pieces of green duct tape on all of the Cricket cabinets. Is AT&T decommissioning redundant Cricket sites already? There is an AT&T site across the street. If so, will Sprint be able to take advantage of the now-vacant space on the flagpole?

Is it for Cricket decommissioning?  Possibly.  Will Sprint take advantage of extra space available at the site?  Possibly, but not likely.  Sprint doesn't typically lease multiple levels on a Flagpole.  On a flagpole, they will typically do a Dual Band 25/26 panel only or a Triband 25/26/41 panel.  Both of those can be installed in just one elevation on a flagpole site.

There is a limitation with the Flagpole Triband panel, though.  If memory serves, it is limited to two carriers and cannot support a third.  So, if Sprint thinks the site is super critical and needs more than just two B41 carriers, I suppose it's possible they may spring for a second spot on the flagpole for B41 panels.  But that just doesn't seem likely to me.

• Like 1

Is it for Cricket decommissioning? Possibly. Will Sprint take advantage of extra space available at the site? Possibly, but not likely. Sprint doesn't typically lease multiple levels on a Flagpole. On a flagpole, they will typically do a Dual Band 25/26 panel only or a Triband 25/26/41 panel. Both of those can be installed in just one elevation on a flagpole site.

There is a limitation with the Flagpole Triband panel, though. If memory serves, it is limited to two carriers and cannot support a third. So, if Sprint thinks the site is super critical and needs more than just two B41 carriers, I suppose it's possible they may spring for a second spot on the flagpole for B41 panels. But that just doesn't seem likely to me.

Limited to three carriers instead of 6.*

They gotta run it as 4t4r with 4 ports connected. Each 4t4r chain supports 3 carriers of 20 MHz max. Two 4t4r chains gives you 6 carriers and 120 mhz max.

Don't know if a Rf combiner exist though.. If they do use a combiner they can do all six carriers but have some signal loss and interference...

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 3

Is it for Cricket decommissioning? Possibly. Will Sprint take advantage of extra space available at the site? Possibly, but not likely. Sprint doesn't typically lease multiple levels on a Flagpole. On a flagpole, they will typically do a Dual Band 25/26 panel only or a Triband 25/26/41 panel. Both of those can be installed in just one elevation on a flagpole site.

There is a limitation with the Flagpole Triband panel, though. If memory serves, it is limited to two carriers and cannot support a third. So, if Sprint thinks the site is super critical and needs more than just two B41 carriers, I suppose it's possible they may spring for a second spot on the flagpole for B41 panels. But that just doesn't seem likely to me.

Cool. However, I'm pretty sure Sprint is still using legacy panels on the flagpole. GMO'd 1900 RRUs with no 800 RRUs in sight. The pole is really thin. I figured the problem might have been lack of vertical room for NV antennas.

Limited to three carriers instead of 6.*

I knew I'd screw it up trying to recall from distant memory.