Adventures at my new job

trox1971

So I get this new gig, which is a decent pay raise from the old one. So excited I called my new manager and ask if I could come in on Saturday 7/13 and setup my office (put up pics of the kids, candy jar, protein bars...). She said no problem I'll meet U there around 2pm. 

We are chatting while I put up pics, wipe down the desk...  then she freaks out when I pulled out on Tf300t... "this is an HIPAA enviroment, we do not allow digital devices, including...... we do not allow personal electronic devices, personal phone calls, personal emails....... access to the web is absolutely prohibited........"

So thats what I get for working for a health care company. At this point I'm thinking I have to call my old manager and beg for my job. I am sitting there thinking how the heck do I survive this Armageddon?No twitter, no S4gru, no facebook, no google (can U balee dat_)....

Then she suggests a semi private room (no door) outside of the HIPAA zone near IT. I said yes!!!

So it's not quite an office, yet I can use the interweb without violating company policy.

• Like 7

Wow. That's crazy.

I would need to be paid at least $120k (state-side) to consider working in a no-internet environment, and that would only be for 1 year at the longest. :wacko:

Wow. HIPAA doesn't prohibit employees for having or using devices. Just disclosing information with them. Sounds like an over zealous attorney consultant advising them to enact such Draconian policies to protect them from litigation.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

I can't have my phone or anything on me while I work at Beat Buy while on the clock. Although I will be working in the Mobile/Tablets department so I'll be on them all day anyway. Lol. I start next Friday.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

I can't have my phone or anything on me while I work at Beat Buy while on the clock. Although I will be working in the Mobile/Tablets department so I'll be on them all day anyway. Lol. I start next Friday.

Yeah, I've worked for many retailers that have this policy. It is just the company trying to get the most out of their employees....I think its crazy.

I don't blame them... I will walk away/out if I see someone in retail goofing off on their phone instead of helping others that need it.

I don't blame them... I will walk away/out if I see someone in retail goofing off on their phone instead of helping others that need it.

I agree, don't get me wrong, they shouldn't be using them when customers are around and need help, but I think employees should be allowed to carry their phones on them in case of emergencies. Retailers use policy to take away their employees abilities to live their lives.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 6 January 2012

If Cingular had thrown money into it WiMax might have survived for a while longer, but LTE is probably still a better technology. Does anyone know how many WiMax networks are deployed worldwide, and do they use the same frequency that Clear uses?

Well they are paying you for your time and to do your job. So they make the rules or just quit. I won't have time to use my phone ever anyways. And I've been in management for a retailer before and didn't tolerate employees playing on their phone. There are always exceptions to the rules though for emergencies. But the person could always just call the store if it was that much of a dire situation.

I went to a 3rd party Sprint store one morning and the employee was sitting on the counter on his phone. I asked a few questions and he couldn't answer any of them and hardly looked up from his phone at me. This store is terrible in general and I will never do business or recommend a 3rd party retailer. Not to mention Best Buy is wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy better anyway. What's weird is I went on the internet to make a complaint and couldn't find any info or recognition of that store anywhere. I went to Google maps, the 3rd parties website, searched Google etc. And nothing.

• Like 1

I went to a 3rd party Sprint store one morning and the employee was sitting on the counter on his phone. I asked a few questions and he couldn't answer any of them and hardly looked up from his phone at me. This store is terrible in general and I will never do business or recommend a 3rd party retailer. Not to mention Best Buy is wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy better anyway. What's weird is I went on the internet to make a complaint and couldn't find any info or recognition of that store anywhere. I went to Google maps, the 3rd parties website, searched Google etc. And nothing.Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Best Buy burned me once a while back but I decided to give them a try again a year later. The Mobile guys burned me again so I do not do business with them anymore.

Best Buy burned me once a while back but I decided to give them a try again a year later. The Mobile guys burned me again so I do not do business with them anymore.

I have customers come in all the time with weird stories about phones needing to be active on an account for 72 hours before you can switch em to another line. Or the customer's insurance or some feature they wanted wasn't transferred over. Guess where the majority come from... Best Buy.

I haven't ever used em personally but after seeing what shoddy work they do, in my city at least, I wouldn't use em.

I work in a grocery store. Were not suppose to have them on us. I do cause on several occasions a customer wanted to know how to cook something. I pull out my phone and look it up. When I do that they realize that they can Google it to. Lol.

I'm sorry to hear that. But I guess every business has its bad apples. Come to my store next time and I will take care of you. Lol. I have always had above exceptional experiences there as a customer and that's one of the reasons I wanted to work there.

• Like 1

I put the fire alarm in at my local best buy but I try to avoid going there as much as possible. Of all the ones I've been to I've only talked to maybe 5 people that know what they're talking about. I can't do anything with my phone there being on a business plan but every time they try saying they can and the restrictions don't apply to them.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Even though I am not a fan of apple stuff, I went in to best buy and asked the best buy rep were the "new" ipad was. He then showed me the ipad 2, when the "new"/3rd gen that I asked to see was on the other side of the table. But then the guy did it to every one else who asked the same thing like he couldn't see that the screen on the 2 was 100% crap Vs the 3.

But then again I can see the pixels on a 4.3in 720P screen and 100% love the 1080P screen on the S4 even though every one loves to call it over kill. :)

But on the flip side I know some good reps too and one of them I got to know so well that he told me to go to hhgreg if I wanted a good price on a TV.  

• Like 1