Throughput of different bands

I was wondering about connection throughput. Will a 5x5 LTE connection in the 2.5Ghz band give faster throughput than the same link in the 1900 PCS band? And if the higher frequency gives more throughput how much higher is that throughput?

• Like 1

I was wondering about connection throughput. Will a 5x5 LTE connection in the 2.5Ghz band give faster throughput than the same link in the 1900 PCS band? And if the higher frequency gives more throughput how much higher is that throughput?

Higher frequency does not provide more or faster throughout for the same size channel, regardless whether it is 700MHz or 2600MHz.

What causes Clearwire's TD-LTE 2600 to be considerably faster than Sprint's LTE 1900 or LTE 800 is that it is being deployed in a 20MHz TDD channel, versus a 5MHz FDD channel.  And the reason why 2600 has more capacity than 800 is just simple because of site spacing is much tighter and wider channels.

Robert

Higher frequency does not provide more or faster throughout for the same size channel, regardless whether it is 700MHz or 2600MHz.

What causes Clearwire's TD-LTE 2600 to be considerably faster than Sprint's LTE 1900 or LTE 800 is that it is being deployed in a 20MHz TDD channel, versus a 5MHz FDD channel.  And the reason why 2600 has more capacity than 800 is just simple because of site spacing is much tighter and wider channels.

Robert

Would you mind sharing the site spacing and channel width for 800, 1900 and 2500? Or provide a link. In the mean time i'll be diligently googleing for answers myself. Thanks.

What causes Clearwire's TD-LTE 2600 to be considerably faster than Sprint's LTE 1900 or LTE 800 is that it is being deployed in a 20MHz TDD channel, versus a 5MHz FDD channel. And the reason why 2600 has more capacity than 800 is just simple because of site spacing is much tighter and wider channels.

Robert

Would you mind sharing the site spacing and channel width for 800, 1900 and 2500? Or provide a link. In the mean time i'll be diligently googleing for answers myself. Thanks.

You won't find the answer of site spacing on any frequency as there are too many factors, terrain, site height, downtilt, antenna beamwidth, etc.

Digiblur is right. 2600 will max out around 5 miles, 1900 around 8-9 miles, 800 around 13-15 in flat, unobstructed, line of sight conditions with zero downtilt. However, every cell/sector is enginnered for capacity, terrain and physical obstructions and there is no typical size. The make them as large as they can realistically serve. Sometimes that is 2 blocks, sometimes it's more than 12 miles.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

How much of the 2500 spectrum does clearwire have?

Varies widely depending on region. Anywhere from  40 to over 100 mhz of BRS / EBS depending on local leases and ownership. Typically 40 mhz of BRS nationwide though (correct me AJ)..

Robert

In single antenna situations you are right. However higher frequencies can accomodate higher order MIMO that lower frequencies. 4x4 MIMO might not be possible at 700MHz but it is definitely possible at 2.5Ghz. Actually 8x4 is possible at 2.5GHz.

In single antenna situations you are right. However higher frequencies can accomodate higher order MIMO that lower frequencies. 4x4 MIMO might not be possible at 700MHz but it is definitely possible at 2.5Ghz. Actually 8x4 is possible at 2.5GHz.

That is true, but when posters have to ask this question about higher frequency and greater capacity, I guarantee that they are not well versed in MIMO.  They are physics newbies.  So, we are talking about one spatial channel, which conforms to the Shannon capacity equation -- the entry image to all of my science/engineering focused articles.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-347-whats-the-frequency-kenneth-interpreting-your-engineering-screen-part-two/

AJ

That is true, but when posters have to ask this question about higher frequency and greater capacity, I guarantee that they are not well versed in MIMO.  They are physics newbies.  So, we are talking about one spatial channel, which conforms to the Shannon capacity equation -- the entry image to all of my science/engineering focused articles.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-347-whats-the-frequency-kenneth-interpreting-your-engineering-screen-part-two/

AJ

Mostly my first question stemmed from a momentary lapse in brain function. I'm familiar with carrier aggregation and have actually read both of your "whats the frequency" posts. A question about those I have is that when I look at my EVDO engineering screen its showing that I'm on Band Class 3 and Channel 2262. What's Band Class 3? 

KWvEvha.png?1

Let me guess, have you switched over from the HTC EVO LTE to the HTC One?

AJ

Yet again you have proven yourself a wizard in my eyes. Can you explain your impressive grasp of the situation?

The HTC One, sadly, has a broken EV-DO engineering screen.  My guess is that it is due to the loss of SVDO.  But CDMA1X and LTE engineering screens work properly.  So, the EV-DO engineering fields do not present valid data.  Band class 3, by the way, is limited to Japan.  And I trust that you are not in Japan.  Plus, the Sprint variant HTC One does not support band class 3 anyway.

AJ

The HTC One, sadly, has a broken EV-DO engineering screen.  My guess is that it is due to the loss of SVDO.  But CDMA1X and LTE engineering screens work properly.  So, the EV-DO engineering fields do not present valid data.  Band class 3, by the way, is limited to Japan.  And I trust that you are not in Japan.  Plus, the Sprint variant HTC One does not support band class 3 anyway.

AJ

Funnily enough I looked up band 3 and saw that it was for Japan. So I assumed one of three things. 1) I messed up. 2) The phone messed up 3) I had teleported without my knowledge. Thanks for clearing stuff up. So MIMO will be workable within carrier bands. And if I'm not mistaken carrier aggregation is having MIMO using connections from separate bands?

• Like 1

So MIMO will be workable within carrier bands. And if I'm not mistaken carrier aggregation is having MIMO using connections from separate bands?

Carrier aggregation is using multiple bands yes, also keep in mind that aggregate air link backhaul should also be considered as this will bolster overall capacity especially for microwave sites.

A little off topic, my apology in advance but is there a way to see the sid for LTE? My GS3 only shows the 1X sid regardless of where my LTE signal comes from. I use cdma field test to see the info.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A little off topic, my apology in advance but is there a way to see the sid for LTE? My GS3 only shows the 1X sid regardless of where my LTE signal comes from. I use cdma field test to see the info.

There are no SIDs used, only mcc mnc for the US. You can see the site identity using the LTE engineering screens. Look at my signature for more info.

• Like 1

There are no SIDs used, only mcc mnc for the US. You can see the site identity using the LTE engineering screens. Look at my signature for more info.

I looked at the engineering screen but had no clue what any of it meant. Thanks for the info

Right now I have 310 - 120

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I looked at the engineering screen but had no clue what any of it meant. Thanks for the info

Right now I have 310 - 120

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That is the sprint ID. The serving cell will be the sector you are on.