Xbox One W/ Revealing Video

Rukin1

I just pre-ordered my Xbox One yesterday, Day One Edition.

I don't personally believe the 24 hour and DRM "issues" will affect me. I have a stable internet connection where I am and have never been without a connection on my console for more than a couple hours. I also now have business class cable... so that should help as well. :-)

I never trade or sell my games, and I almost never buy used games. Game pricing drops so quickly now that you can buy new games 6 months after release for $20-30 and don't have to worry about what a previous owner did with it (people are horrible at taking care of things).

Also, I notice no one remembers Sony saying this: 

http://www.geek.com/games/sony-says-publishers-can-implement-ps4-used-game-drm-if-they-wish-1558559/

They were talking baou DRM at the announcement originally, then after all the Anti-MS backlash advertising it not being required. Not that it didn't exist, but that they didn't require it. Publishers are going to implement DRM, period. This is exactly what MS has said. The only difference seems to be that MS has made it centralized around Xbox Live while Sony is leaving it up to the publishers on implementation. That will just lead to more issues when publishers turn off DRM servers on old games to push people to new ones, whereas Microsoft has shown a history of leaving old servers running (original Xbox Live staying active until 2/15/2010, launched November 2002).

I just don't see Sony being this great messiah that people seem to be relegating them to. Their announcements are essentially the same regarding DRM, they are just doing a better job of distancing their role in it, despite the system's capability and DRM being similar.

My internet is stable too, but my biggest problem is having to ping the server to play a game that you physically own. If I want to play halo 2 I can, but I can't play the multiplayer because the servers are down. They have taken that issue down to the system level. In 10 or 15 years the system will be a doorstop once they shut down the servers.

To each their own I guess. Reading that link still makes me feel better about Sony's approach as opposed to M$'s. Pre-ordered my PS4 yesterday. Amazon claims I should have it by New Year's Eve (at the latest), though on that date I should be more concerned with partying than video games.  :azn:

• Like 1

To each their own I guess. Reading that link still makes me feel better about Sony's approach as opposed to M$'s. Pre-ordered my PS4 yesterday. Amazon claims I should have it by New Year's Eve (at the latest), though on that date I should be more concerned with partying than video games. :azn:

Preordered my ps4 yesterday, too. I didn't get the launch edition, but I'm thinking mine will come in the second batch.

I'm completely sold on Sony and I don't like Microsoft indirectly accusing their customers of piracy (why lock a console down that much otherwise?) All they're doing is hurting the legitimate customers by trying to deter pirates from stealing their game. Since when has a single DRM attempt (on console) been effective?

• Like 1

You said you're sticking with your XBox 360. Given what's been revealed about the XBone, I don't blame you.

And apparently, that's what Microsoft suggests as the perfect solution for those with issues about the Xbox One:

http://bgr.com/2013/06/12/xbox-one-always-online-criticism-response/

that December 31st date isn't the actual date, its more likely to be coming out well before that time, probably around mid November as Sony was looking to bring it out in time for the Holidays. I'll preorder mine soon, I want Watchdogs so bad, FFXV too. Sony also confirmed that you'll need playstation plus for online multiplayer, but it also comes with the added benefit of cloud storage, streaming through Gaikai and other services.

that December 31st date isn't the actual date, its more likely to be coming out well before that time, probably around mid November as Sony was looking to bring it out in time for the Holidays. I'll preorder mine soon, I want Watchdogs so bad, FFXV too. Sony also confirmed that you'll need playstation plus for online multiplayer, but it also comes with the added benefit of cloud storage, streaming through Gaikai and other services.

As far as I'm concerned, PS+ is definitely a better deal than Xbox Live.  You get access to 18+ games, with a new game each month - compared to Xbox Live's new 2 free game combo.  I also think Playstation will be better suited for online gameplay, as opposed to the way the PS3 was (I always thought Xbox servers were a bit smoother.)

My only concern was how long it took for Playstation 3 updates (sometimes up to 30 minutes for a 50+MB file...)  I hope Sony addresses this issue with the PS4.

And you're right about Amazon.  They place that release date prior to 2014 so worst case scenario it releases Dec 31st, but it'll more than likely sometime in November.

I look at it this way. Sony did so many anti-consumer things with the PS3 throughout it's lifetime. Removing advertised features in software updates (Other OS). Removing physical parts of the console like PS2 hardware required for backwards compatibility, newsflash Sony, just because we didn't buy it near launch doesn't mean we don't like our PS2 games and want to keep that beast around as well. They have seemed to go on the offensive with remaking PS2 games for the PS3, but many popular franchises have not been remade, even with large customer request (All I want is the Onimusha series). The entire Playstation Network security failure debacle (how they allowed that to be possible in the first place baffles me working in IT.

Microsoft, to me, has always shown themselves to be more forward-thinking with the features they have added to the Xbox. Integrated text and voice chat from the start, cross game chat with the 360. Apps on the console (Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, etc.) to extend functionality beyond just gaming. The Kinect One being included in the console should increase developer adoption rates since they don't have to plan for users potentially not having it (I believe one of the reasons more games didn't utilize it on the 360). If it requires development time and you can't prove it will significantly enhance the experience, why put the manpower in to make it happen? This also creates two separate customer bases for that game, one where a customer gets the fully immersive game, another that is stripped down and inferior. Both systems are pretty close in system power overall, as always there will be some differences between them, but nothing like the 360 vs PS3, etc. going back.

I don't do much hardcore gaming anymore because I view it as pointless, it is the exact culture that created the 12 year olds screaming obscenities in Call of Duty. I'd rather not be a part of that, but that seems to be exactly where Sony is positioning themselves primarily. Microsoft on the other hand seems to be positioning the Xbox One as an all-inclusive home entertainment device. The only thing you need other than your TV and cable/satellite box. Want to watch tv? Tell your Xbox you want to, it will do it. Want to play a game, call someone through Skype, view facebook, watch something on Netflix or Hulu, maybe HBO GO, or possibly just listen to some music? I just look at it as Microsoft trying to take the next step forward for a device that is nearly ubiquitous in the first-world household (a gaming system). I am 99% positive the DRM aspect came from the publishers and MS agreed, whereas Sony said "if you want, we aren't going to ourselves".

We'll see whether it stays around. To me, with my usage, it makes absolutely no difference since I don't usually buy or sell used games, and I always have an Internet connection. If I'm not sure about a game, I'll wait several months after release, by that time it's usually cheap on Amazon and new, about the same price as a used copy in Gamestop from my experience. Being able to access my games remotely at a friends house without needing the discs will be nice (especially since my collection is huge for the 360, I can only imagine it larger for the X1. Maybe I'm just not willing yo vilify Microsoft and raise Sony onto a pedestal just because of words said at a press conference removed from everyday life. The real test will be after launch. Either way I'm eventually getting both because of exclusives just like I did with the 360 vs PS3. The difference is that this time, the only thing leaning me towards a PS4 is the few games that are exclusive.

I bought my PS3 for Metal Gear Solid and Blu-Ray, period. At the time it was a mid-price BR player and MGS was out, so I bought it, to me it was a good deal. With games like Kingdom Hearts 3 being cross-platform, Blu-Ray being included in both consoles, and no native backwards compatibility with either one, it comes down to which will give me more new features to use at launch, and that's the Xbox One.

I look at it this way. Sony did so many anti-consumer things with the PS3 throughout it's lifetime. Removing advertised features in software updates (Other OS). Removing physical parts of the console like PS2 hardware required for backwards compatibility, newsflash Sony, just because we didn't buy it near launch doesn't mean we don't like our PS2 games and want to keep that beast around as well. They have seemed to go on the offensive with remaking PS2 games for the PS3, but many popular franchises have not been remade, even with large customer request (All I want is the Onimusha series). The entire Playstation Network security failure debacle (how they allowed that to be possible in the first place baffles me working in IT.

Microsoft, to me, has always shown themselves to be more forward-thinking with the features they have added to the Xbox. Integrated text and voice chat from the start, cross game chat with the 360. Apps on the console (Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, etc.) to extend functionality beyond just gaming. The Kinect One being included in the console should increase developer adoption rates since they don't have to plan for users potentially not having it (I believe one of the reasons more games didn't utilize it on the 360). If it requires development time and you can't prove it will significantly enhance the experience, why put the manpower in to make it happen? This also creates two separate customer bases for that game, one where a customer gets the fully immersive game, another that is stripped down and inferior. Both systems are pretty close in system power overall, as always there will be some differences between them, but nothing like the 360 vs PS3, etc. going back.

I don't do much hardcore gaming anymore because I view it as pointless, it is the exact culture that created the 12 year olds screaming obscenities in Call of Duty. I'd rather not be a part of that, but that seems to be exactly where Sony is positioning themselves primarily. Microsoft on the other hand seems to be positioning the Xbox One as an all-inclusive home entertainment device. The only thing you need other than your TV and cable/satellite box. Want to watch tv? Tell your Xbox you want to, it will do it. Want to play a game, call someone through Skype, view facebook, watch something on Netflix or Hulu, maybe HBO GO, or possibly just listen to some music? I just look at it as Microsoft trying to take the next step forward for a device that is nearly ubiquitous in the first-world household (a gaming system). I am 99% positive the DRM aspect came from the publishers and MS agreed, whereas Sony said "if you want, we aren't going to ourselves".

We'll see whether it stays around. To me, with my usage, it makes absolutely no difference since I don't usually buy or sell used games, and I always have an Internet connection. If I'm not sure about a game, I'll wait several months after release, by that time it's usually cheap on Amazon and new, about the same price as a used copy in Gamestop from my experience. Being able to access my games remotely at a friends house without needing the discs will be nice (especially since my collection is huge for the 360, I can only imagine it larger for the X1. Maybe I'm just not willing yo vilify Microsoft and raise Sony onto a pedestal just because of words said at a press conference removed from everyday life. The real test will be after launch. Either way I'm eventually getting both because of exclusives just like I did with the 360 vs PS3. The difference is that this time, the only thing leaning me towards a PS4 is the few games that are exclusive.

I bought my PS3 for Metal Gear Solid and Blu-Ray, period. At the time it was a mid-price BR player and MGS was out, so I bought it, to me it was a good deal. With games like Kingdom Hearts 3 being cross-platform, Blu-Ray being included in both consoles, and no native backwards compatibility with either one, it comes down to which will give me more new features to use at launch, and that's the Xbox One.

I do want to see how Sony plans on using their streaming service they bought last year. They had mentioned there was a possibility of streaming their entire game library for PS3 through PS1 over it. I believe since we'll be paying for online multiplayer they may have updated to better servers over the ones that are currently in use with the PS3, but we'll see.

I do want to see how Sony plans on using their streaming service they bought last year. They had mentioned there was a possibility of streaming their entire game library for PS3 through PS1 over it. I believe since we'll be paying for online multiplayer they may have updated to better servers over the ones that are currently in use with the PS3, but we'll see.

I was a part of the Gaikai streaming beta before Sony bought them. It worked okay. The game was being run remotely on a server dedicated to running your gaming session. The idea was that your computer couldn't handle the game so their servers did and you were just streamed the video of it running essentially with all of your controls being sent back for input to the game. It worked ok when I tested it, I'm sure it's better now. It most definitely did not feel like you were actually playing the game on your computer like they tried to claim.

If that's their entire plan, I'm gonna steer clear until I see it working 100% like a native game. Based on my beta testing of Gaikai a couple years ago, I wouldn't call that a feature.

Yeah I got an email from Amazon this morning informing me that I'll have my PS4 on launch day whenever that may be.

+1 on that.  Kind of excited now.  I've got Launch Edition in my Orders now. :P

Still waiting on Fallout 4 to be announced (not likely this year, since E3 has passed now.)  I guess it's better that way so the game's not rushed.

• Like 2

I preordered the standard edition about tuesday or wednesday last week. Just got an email today that they managed to get a few more units reserved from Sony and bumped my order to Launch edition.

• Like 2

I preordered the standard edition about tuesday or wednesday last week. Just got an email today that they managed to get a few more units reserved from Sony and bumped my order to Launch edition.

It's probably because people are canceling their orders and going for the $499 bundle where you get a game and a 1YR subscription to PS Plus.  You save $10 total, but still worth it if you're going all in for PS4. :tu:

Edit: Oh and those bundles are Launch Day editions too.