Sprint blames vendor execution for Network Vision delays

I know fiber created a huge delay for the site below...It was winter at the time though, but it wasn't too bad. CenturyLink should have been there the week in December when they were doing the road bore to the site.

Site history...MS03NP137

10/05/2012 - (eHRPD)

11/07/2012 - (cabinets delevered)

11/12/2012 - (RRU/panel assembly - 2 days)

11/26/2012 - (cabinets install - 2 days)

11/28/2012 - (RRU/panel install on tower - 300ft crane - 2 days)

12/21/2012 - (fiber road bore to site service road - 3 blocks - 3 days) (3 week delay)

12/26/2012 - (Inspection - Ericsson and American Tower trucks)

02/26/2013 - (run fiber from end of the service road to cabinets - Centurylink) (2 month delay)

03/23/2013 - (4G accepted, but not broadcasting yet)

03/28/2013 - (4G went live)

• Like 6

Biased title is biased. They easily could have used " Sprint cites vendor execution for Network Vision delays" instead of the sensationalist one they did. Pet peeve about "journalistic integrity", something sorely lacking in every "news" site in the US, or that focuses on US news. It may work on the uninformed that watch mainstream media, but I'd like to think the more technically apt among us aren't swayed by sensationalism.

That being said, it doesn't surprise me at all that the backhaul vendors are likely the cause for many of the delays. Inclement weather probably wasn't helping either, especially hurricanes and tornadoes.

• Like 4

I know fiber created a huge delay for the site below...It was winter at the time though, but it wasn't too bad. CenturyLink should have been there the week in December when they were doing the road bore to the site.

Site history...MS03NP137

10/05/2012 - (eHRPD)

11/07/2012 - (cabinets delevered)

11/12/2012 - (RRU/panel assembly - 2 days)

11/26/2012 - (cabinets install - 2 days)

11/28/2012 - (RRU/panel install on tower - 300ft crane - 2 days)

12/21/2012 - (fiber road bore to site service road - 3 blocks - 3 days) (3 week delay)

12/26/2012 - (Inspection - Ericsson and American Tower trucks)

02/26/2013 - (run fiber from end of the service road to cabinets - Centurylink) (2 month delay)

03/23/2013 - (4G accepted, but not broadcasting yet)

03/28/2013 - (4G went live)

Where did you get the site info from ?

Ericsson has great network engineers and 3GPP engineers but their people to execute on the ground...not so much. I'd still take the RBS 6102 CDMA edition over the products by the other NV vendors, though the same Samsung stuff is no slouch either.

It is a shame that the CDMA Flexi wasn't ready by the time NV vendor selection was started so NSN couldn't bid.

I think with all these current delays and potential future ones, I can see Network Vision not largely completed until end of 2014.

They seem to be staying right around 4-5 months behind schedule at most. No further slippage since the beginning of the year. They just need to stay at the current level or pick up speed.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1