1xRTT M2M tying up network resources?

http://www.fiercewir...down/2013-04-22

Why is Sprint tying up its network for peanuts?

Admittedly, I don't know the spectrum layout for Sprint PCS so it's possible that it might have a sliver that can only hold a 1xRTT carrier.

However, even if that is the case shouldn't Sprint at the very least only allow M2M modules work on its CDMA-800? That way, it can eventually clear out PCS to use solely for LTE.

Well, voice is given priority anyways, so I don't really see this as an issue. Data sessions can be dropped and delayed if the network is overloaded.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I don't know the spectrum layout for Sprint PCS so it's possible that it might have a sliver that can only hold a 1xRTT carrier.

However, even if that is the case shouldn't Sprint at the very least only allow M2M modules work on its CDMA-800? That way, it can eventually clear out PCS to use solely for LTE.

Save the 1xA voice carrier in SMR (800Mhz) for rural coverage, get that roaming bill to Verizon down a bit. The voice carriers are 1.25Mhz FDD I believe, so they are very small, compared to 5Mhz FDD for LTE and I'm think 3.25Mhz FDD for EVDO.

• Like 1

And 1xA will not be going anywhere for a long time. It is one of the things that have kept me with Sprint, is the quality of voice that CDMA provides. I can not stand GSM one bit for voice...pun intended.

• Like 4

That's assuming that no 1xRTT voice customer will ever be around. They are likely just trying to maximize what's going to be around for a while... which is a single 1x carrier.

Why not monetize what your competitors don't want?

Well, voice is given priority anyways, so I don't really see this as an issue. Data sessions can be dropped and delayed if the network is overloaded.

I wasn't focused on competing with resources for voice but rather the burden of being obligated to maintain CDMA PCS for M2M when all other voice traffic has migrated to CDMA-SMR and VoLTE.

I wasn't focused on competing with resources for voice but rather the burden of being obligated to maintain CDMA PCS for M2M when all other voice traffic has migrated to CDMA-SMR and VoLTE.

You know, I'm not really sure what the big excitement over VoLTE is. LTE is a more "fragile" airlink than 1X, so it requires closer tower spacing or lower frequency to provide the same coverage. Why take up LTE capacity (which, for example, VZW is already running low on in some areas) with VoIP traffic when you can smash a lot more voice capacity in a single 1X carrier?

That being said, even VZW isn't shutting down 1X for another decade at minimum.

1x services are not known for being over capacity or a problem in general. Besides, whenever adding services like this, you better believe that they crunch the numbers and figure out how much it will cost in additional capacity over the lifetime of the contract and price accordingly. And then the resources exist to pay for the added capacity. Making growth pay for itself.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along...

Robert

You know, I'm not really sure what the big excitement over VoLTE is. LTE is a more "fragile" airlink than 1X, so it requires closer tower spacing or lower frequency to provide the same coverage. Why take up LTE capacity (which, for example, VZW is already running low on in some areas) with VoIP traffic when you can smash a lot more voice capacity in a single 1X carrier?

That being said, even VZW isn't shutting down 1X for another decade at minimum.

It will take a lot of work and additional sites before Sprint can't even think about deploying VoLTE.

• Like 1

It will take a lot of work and additional sites before Sprint can't even think about deploying VoLTE.

I was pretty disappointed when I read that Sprint's HD voice isn't even going to be compatible across current equipment vendors. Not calling someone in Ericsson territory, no HD voice for you!

I was pretty disappointed when I read that Sprint's HD voice isn't even going to be compatible across current equipment vendors. Not calling someone in Ericsson territory, no HD voice for you!

Initially. It won't stay that way.

When SMR LTE is deployed, commercial trials can commence. I wouldn't do anything customer facing for VoLTE until they have SMR LTE deployment that's widespread.