SMR vs cellular vs PCS vs AWS

dedub

I don't think I've ever seen anyone explain exactly what those mean or what the differences in those labels are for.

I know they refer to (or are related to) the bands 800, 850, 1900 and 2100/1700, but why aren't they all simply called cellular instead of SMR, or PCS or AWS etc?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone explain exactly what those mean or what the differences in those labels are for.

I know they refer to (or are related to) the bands 800, 850, 1900 and 2100/1700, but why aren't they all simply called cellular instead of SMR, or PCS or AWS etc?

They are acronyms...

SMR = Specialized Mobile Radio

PCS = Personal Communications Service

AWS = Advanced Wireless Service

• Like 2

So essentially, they are different communication protocols that are used at a particular bands, much like http vs ftp vs tftp etc.

So essentially, they are different communication protocols that are used at a particular bands, much like http vs ftp vs tftp etc.

I wouldn't say that. CDMA 1X is used across Cellular, SMR, PCS. LTE is being used across 700mhz, eventually Cellular I'd surmise, SMR, PCS, AWS. When the bands got auctioned off they got a moniker for a frequency range.

They don't specify the protocol at all.They are just names given to bands(grouped segments) of spectrum.

• Like 1

Kinda, kinda not. Like you example, any service CDMA/GSM/LTE/EDGE/WCDMA/etc can be run over any of the RF Spectrum, they are basically buzz words that describe a spectrum band. They don't define what can or can't be used in the spectrum.

• Like 1

For people in the industry, it just helps describe the bands in conversation. 800mhz has traditionally been known as Cellular, 1900mhz was known as PCS (hence Sprint PCS), 850mhz was SMR (even though the range is actually much wider and narrower than 850), and 2100/1700mhz, or AWS.

When I am speaking to people here, it helps instead of speaking in frequencies :).

• Like 2

The names are for their original intended purpose but to be true to their current use they would all be called AWS or Advanced Wireless Services bands.

Cellular 850 was licensed for the original analogue AMPS cellular network but is now used for 3G and 2G all-digital services and can be used for 4G.

PCS (Personal Communication Services) 1900 was licensed to add capacity for cellular carriers that needed more spectrum and for new competitors to offer wireless services. It is used for all-digital 2G, 3G and 4G services today.

SMR (Specialized Mobile Radio) 800 was licensed to be used with two-way radios in commercial application but could also be used for cellular service. Originally it could only be used with small channels (like two-way radios used) but the FCC ammended the rules to allow wide-band operations. Effectively this rule change made SMR into an Advanced Wireless Services band in that it now supports wide-band operations like 3G and 4G.

AWS-1 (Advanced Wireless Services) (1700 Mhz uplink / 2100 downlink) - This band was specifically made for mobile broadband (3G, and 4G).

• Like 3

What is different about aws 1, that the ul and dl are on different bands?

The 1700 MHz uplink and 2100 MHz downlink are not different bands. They are paired together to form one FDD band. A band is any defined set of spectrum.

AJ

The 1700 MHz uplink and 2100 MHz downlink are not different bands. They are paired together to form one FDD band. A band is any defined set of spectrum.

AJ

Thanx for the clarification. Then to rephrase, what makes that the 2 are paired together? If used as in a TDD, would pairing no longer be needed?