Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

So based on what has been said so far, I can't use it with my Galaxy S3 and I'll need a specific model of smartphone if I wanted the service.

Also, is there anything special about this service over the current 4G LTE that they are currently propping up?

You will need a Tri-Band device, yes. Band 41 LTE has much more spectrum to work with than the current LTE band and is capable of speeds up to 90Mbps or so under good conditions and if the proper backhaul is available.

So based on what has been said so far, I can't use it with my Galaxy S3 and I'll need a specific model of smartphone if I wanted the service.

Also, is there anything special about this service over the current 4G LTE that they are currently propping up?

You can upgrade your Galaxy S3 to the new LG G2 to be able to use the new LTE with Sprint's new upgrade program.

Not sure if the Note 3 will support tri band. Rumors have it that Samsung will release an updated S4 that will run on Sprint's tri band network and HTC releasing the One Max that can support it as well.

LG G2 so far is the only confirmed phone that can.

You can upgrade your Galaxy S3 to the new LG G2 to be able to use the new LTE with Sprint's new upgrade program.

LG G2 so far is the only confirmed phone that can.

What about the new iPhone? http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Excited for LTE to come to the Arden area!

Edit: just realized band 41 isn't supported.

What about the new iPhone? http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Excited for LTE to come to the Arden area!

Edit: just realized band 41 isn't supported.

And guess where band 41 TD-LTE is active? 'wink wink'

It is not recommended anyone to get any single band LTE device or the iphone 5s/5c with our market having TD_LTE live and rapidly deployed. In 3 months most of Sacramento will be deployed with  TD-LTE while LTE 800 and PCS 1900 will be be ~40% done whereas the TD-LTE network  will probably be over 75% done. 

• Like 3

ahhh i had wimax off elk grove florin and calvine rd when i was using the GS2. wonder if td-lte is active there...

If i worked or live around Florin and calvine road in Elk Grove i'd definitely get a triband asap *wink wink9

• Like 1

is the TD-LTE slated for all areas in Sacramento? If so, does anyone know if it is compatible with 3G in the meantime?

Yep. There are a few holes here and there but it's pretty ubiquitous especially where it counts. Everywhere you get wimax then you'll get TD-LTE eventually & no it's not compatible with 3G and yes there's TD-LTE in folsom.

Hundreds of new TD-LTE sites go live every week across all markets. Gotta love how fast you can deploy LTE when you have backhaul available and are doing an overlay...

• Like 1

Yep. There are a few holes here and there but it's pretty ubiquitous especially where it counts. Everywhere you get wimax then you'll get TD-LTE eventually & no it's not compatible with 3G and yes there's TD-LTE in folsom.

Hundreds of new TD-LTE sites go live every week across all markets. Gotta love how fast you can deploy LTE when you have backhaul available and are doing an overlay...

What about in Orangevale near Mt Vernon Memorial cemetery? I'm moving nearby in about a week.

So if I was to have such a phone, if I come into a pocket with no TD-LTE then I just get no data at all?

I am very interested in this service but my goal is to try and stay with Sprint and have coverage to and from work for my internet radio. Right now I am no longer able to get data for about 1/3 of my commute on 50 and that is irritating.

So if I was to have such a phone, if I come into a pocket with no TD-LTE then I just get no data at all?

I am very interested in this service but my goal is to try and stay with Sprint and have coverage to and from work for my internet radio. Right now I am no longer able to get data for about 1/3 of my commute on 50 and that is irritating.

You'll fall back to PCS 1900 LTE (if avail), 800 LTE (if avail), and then EVDO 3G and finally CDMA 1x. 

Sweet, so I should expect TD-LTE in Stockton right?

Whenever the towers here go live.. *crickets*

• Like 1

Sweet, so I should expect TD-LTE in Stockton right?

Whenever the towers here go live.. *crickets*

Right now? No. By the end of the year? Most definitely. Clearwire has a much, much more dense network in Stockton, Sacramento, and Modesto than Sprint and a far easier upgrade path with a 1 to 1 RRU swap and cabinet modifications. At most, it takes a week to convert a site from wimax to LTE. Most veteran crews can do it in a day or two.

• Like 1

I live in an area that had pretty good WiMax coverage. So what kind of speeds are expected, not theoretical, with TD-LTE?

is the TD-LTE slated for all areas in Sacramento? If so, does anyone know if it is compatible with 3G in the meantime?

I live in an area that had pretty good WiMax coverage. So what kind of speeds are expected, not theoretical, with TD-LTE?

On a site with upgraded backhaul in place it should be spewing out averages of at least 40-60 mbps DL and peaking around 80 mbps with perfect line of sight and 30-40 mbps UL.

If speeds seem to be stuck around 10-20 then it's likely still on old clearwire backhaul that has yet to be upgraded but will be soon enough. 

• Like 1

Small question, how much do you guys think the LG g2 is gonna be priced at and will Sprint Up help me get it? Aching for a triband and I was really wondering if they'd give me some lee way on the bill, for being a long-term customer and all.

Tmobile shows the full price of the G2 at $604. $199 on Sprint contact according to android central. You should be able to buy it on Sprint's one up program but you have to have one of the newer "Truly Unlimited" plans. From what I understand the early upgrade program only works on Sprint's new plans.

On a site with upgraded backhaul in place it should be spewing out averages of at least 40-60 mbps DL and peaking around 80 mbps with perfect line of sight and 30-40 mbps UL.

If speeds seem to be stuck around 10-20 then it's likely still on old clearwire backhaul that has yet to be upgraded but will be soon enough. 

I'll take a consistent 10 - 20 mbps any day. That would be like magic to me. I am unable to use my data most of the time now. I can't use it at my desk downtown anymore and I can use it off and on in Folsom. I don't even bother using it on 50 (for my internet radio) during my commute anymore.

Do you think clearwire will be touching their existing WiMAxx towers? There is alot of WiMAX in the 209 and it would be nice if they were upgraded.

That's what they're doing. Sprint is now in at the end of Phase 1 of Wimax conversion to TD-LTE and the start of phase 2 conversions. Phase 1 are the high capacity sites in strategic locations where there's heavy load and phase 2 is the rest of the wimax markets. We believe all wimax markets will be fully converted by the middle to the end of next Spring.