Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Don't know if this is old news, but I got lte while working ata jobsite next to Foodmax on sunrise in citrus heights. Only had 2 bars while in the parking lot.

On another note - when is Rancho gonna get lte?! Not "new Rancho", but Olson & Zinfandel Rancho. Cordova High Rancho. I drove up to a tech working on a tower back in May (Coloma & McGregor) and he said it would be live in "2 weeks". Yeah right. One of my clients is a Sprint employee who originates/retains Sprint business customers. She indicated by the end of August.August is outta here in 4 days..

I am still waiting for Rancho too. Haven't seen any work, but I have gotten some small hits of LTE, just south of International.

Don't know if this is old news, but I got lte while working ata jobsite next to Foodmax on sunrise in citrus heights. Only had 2 bars while in the parking lot.

On another note - when is Rancho gonna get lte?! Not "new Rancho", but Olson & Zinfandel Rancho. Cordova High Rancho. I drove up to a tech working on a tower back in May (Coloma & McGregor) and he said it would be live in "2 weeks". Yeah right. One of my clients is a Sprint employee who originates/retains Sprint business customers. She indicated by the end of August.August is outta here in 4 days..

The Coloma and McGregor Site has all new NV equipment installed. They are probably waiting for advanced microwave or fiber backhaul to be installed. The city of Rancho has actually been pretty busy with TimeWarner, Integra, and AT&T pulling fiber everywhere. I would think by now since they have had the equipment installed since May that they would have the fiber. It all depends on when they placed the order for backhaul to be installed. A normal order for installation of fiber requires a 120 day window before completion....That's 4 Month's so maybe the McGregor site will come online soon...

The city of Rancho has actually been pretty busy with TimeWarner, Integra, and AT&T pulling fiber everywhere.

TimeWarner? I hadn't heard that and a quick google search didn't turn anything up for me... Is Comcast going to get some competition? AT&T has been a bust for my house... one street over got U-verse more than 2 years ago, but not my street. =/

TimeWarner? I hadn't heard that and a quick google search didn't turn anything up for me... Is Comcast going to get some competition? AT&T has been a bust for my house... one street over got U-verse more than 2 years ago, but not my street. =/

TimeWarner and Integra do not offer a residential type of package up here in Northern California. They offer services to business's that need private network links/large capacity internet links. Were talking 1GB Internet/10GB WAN Links and other variations below that down to 10MB that consists of fiber/ethernet direct connections to the premise/in-building. Here at my work in Rancho Cordova we have two separate 200MB Ethernet Internet Links provided from Integra and another from TimeWarner. A total of 400MB for capacity, but in case one goes down for redundancy the other 200MB is still active on a separate companies network. We have various other 10GB MAN Links from Rancho Cordova to Roseville provided by the same two companies as well to link offices together in the Sacramento Area.

Some dark purple on sensorly in Sparks, NV on the intersection of Nugget Ave & Victorian Plaza Cir. Can any of our Reno / Sparks members confirm?

Definitely LTE there in that little pocket.  We stayed at the hotel this weekend, and in the room/most of the hotel area I had an LTE signal.

I actually got a brief LTE signal at my house. I live near the tower on Gold Camp and Kilgore, so I don't think it is bleed over from the tower on Jackson Hwy. I'll drive by Gold Camp this afternoon and see what the story is there. I also had some hits on Old Placerville Road near it's intersection with Routier. Maybe that is from the same tower at Rosemont HS.

Here's hoping more of Rancho is in progress.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

I actually got a brief LTE signal at my house. I live near the tower on Gold Camp and Kilgore, so I don't think it is bleed over from the tower on Jackson Hwy. I'll drive by Gold Camp this afternoon and see what the story is there. I also had some hits on Old Placerville Road near it's intersection with Routier. Maybe that is from the same tower at Rosemont HS.

Here's hoping more of Rancho is in progress.

Hmm, I would think that I would have picked up that signal from 50 when I pass by each morning if that tower has LTE, right? I'll have to run sensorly more often but even the other day I had it mapping as I passed Zin and Sunrise and I didn't see any LTE.

Hmm, I would think that I would have picked up that signal from 50 when I pass by each morning if that tower has LTE, right? I'll have to run sensorly more often but even the other day I had it mapping as I passed Zin and Sunrise and I didn't see any LTE.

It was up for maybe 30 seconds at about 7:00 am. Long enough to have me stare at my phone open mouthed like a dumbass...short enough to miss getting a photo of it. It was the first time I've had it at home. Testing maybe?

It was up for maybe 30 seconds at about 7:00 am. Long enough to have me stare at my phone open mouthed like a dumbass...short enough to miss getting a photo of it. It was the first time I've had it at home. Testing maybe?

Testing Hopefully for a site that will get 4G Accepted in Rancho I hope!

• Like 1

I hope so! Very exciting if it is! I am so ready to be able to consistently stream my Spotify radio stations in the mornings on the way to work. That's pretty much all I even care about.

The other day I was getting about 15k down most of the way home (from downtown to Folsom). Streaming sucked so I speed tested it. Yes I know I shouldn't do that while driving my traffic was slow and heavy.

Edited by jwigley

I hope so! Very exciting if it is! I am so ready to be able to consistently stream my Spotify radio stations in the mornings on the way to work. That's pretty much all I even care about.

The other day I was getting about 15k down most of the way home (from downtown to Folsom). Streaming sucked so I speed tested it. Yes I know I shouldn't do that while driving my traffic was slow and heavy.

I have noticed that data speed's for 3G have slowed down all over the Sacramento area. When at work and at home 20 miles apart...from two different cell sites I used to get about 0.75-1.0mbps down and up with 150ms or below ping times on 3G. Now both at home and at work that has slowed to a low 0.15mbps for down and up with 500ms+ Ping Times on 3G and this is from two different cell sites which is like slower then dial-up. It could be that the tower by home is connected to the same backhaul network as the tower near my work 30 miles away. I hope this is signs of work progressing more agressively now.

I hope Sprint looks at websites like this. It's sad that customers are having to hang on to any bit of perceived progress, testing or possible upcoming deployment of what every other carrier already has. I get pissed when AT&T announces new markets every month while Sprint announces nothing but a bunch of  backwoods places. 

Edited by lilotimz
seriously?
  • Like 1

I hope Sprint looks at websites like this. It's sad that customers are having to hang on to any bit of perceived progress, testing or possible upcoming deployment of what every other carrier already has. I get pissed when AT&T announces new markets every month while Sprint announces nothing but a bunch of  backwoods places. 

Sponsors to the site have a lot more evidence than bits of perceived progress of work being done. The issue with Rancho is that they don't post their permit issuances online like, say, the City of Sacramento does. Anyway. Sponsorship. More insider info. We know stuff is being done.

• Like 2

I hope Sprint looks at websites like this. It's sad that customers are having to hang on to any bit of perceived progress, testing or possible upcoming deployment of what every other carrier already has. I get pissed when AT&T announces new markets every month while Sprint announces nothing but a bunch of backwoods places.

Sprint doesn't read sites like this and think, "Oh my gosh. It was our plan to do this slow and drag this out as long as possible. But now I read how some people cannot stream Spotify consistently in the Eastern Sacramento Metropolitan Area on S4GRU, so I think now I will actually speed up."

Sprint wants this to be done as soon as possible. This is not a conscious choice. It's just the reality of the situation. 2 years ago they had to phase Network Vision. They didn't have the money nor the resources to deploy nationwide all at once. And your market was deemed a lower priority to start deployment. It is what it is.

You're in a Samsung market, and Samsung is the fastest and best Network Vision OEM in my opinion. They will deploy LTE as fast as they can within the confines of bureaucratic approvals and limited crew availability will allow in your market. And that just may not be fast enough for some people in some places.

Sprint is upgrading its entire network, not just major cities. And sometimes those smaller cities are just so much easier and faster to work with than urban and suburban cities. So the next time you get pissed at Sprint because you don't have a live site in Rancho, maybe ask yourself why there are sites live in Reno now? It's because Reno actually works with carriers to help them deploy and Rancho Cordova is an obstacle to anyone who is crazy enough to ever try to get a permit there. You live in a bureaucratic factory of sadness and ineptitude.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

And to show just how aggressive Samsung is...  we're expecting sites to go live on LTE 800 (and presumably LTE 1900 as well)  rapidly in the next 60 days in Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Arden Arcade, North Highlands, Citrus Heights, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, and some parts of Yolo County (ala West Sacramento). 

In addition to that, CDMA 800 1x is steadily being accepted in many a place with the most prominent being the rural stretch of HWY between Chico, CA & Redding, CA and along 80 towards Reno. 

The next 60-90 days is going to be extremely exciting. 

• Like 1

"Sprint doesn't read sites like this and think, "Oh my gosh. It was our plan to do this slow and drag this out as long as possible. But now I read how some people cannot stream Spotify consistently in the Eastern Sacramento Metropolitan Area on S4GRU, so I think now I will actually speed up."

And that was never the context of my post. What I do know is Sprint has web/social media liaisons (or whatever official title) that look for opportunities to address issues customers may experience. If they see fit to what I equate as spam via push notifications, emails, inserts - whatever, It may be as equally beneficial to give more pertinent info specific to the market they're spamming. 

"Edited by lilotimz, 28 August 2013 - 11:48 AM. 

seriously?

Yes seriously. This has been my experience as a sprint customer. Did I say or do something wrong?

"Edited by lilotimz, 28 August 2013 - 11:48 AM. 

seriously?

Yes seriously. This has been my experience as a sprint customer. Did I say or do something wrong?

Actually yes...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

"To provide a forum for discussion and education about wireless spectrum, networks, and Sprint Network Vision, in particular, in an online community that is mature, intelligent, and free from uncritical negativity."

Negative comments. Negative comments about Sprint and/or S4GRU are allowed. However, negative comments must be constructive in nature, relevant to the topic and the conversation, illustrate facts, be made rationally and intelligently and cannot have an attack tone. Rants will not be allowed. We do not host Sprint's complaints. Complaints about Sprint should be directed to their customer service channels.

• Like 2

I'm having a very difficult time getting service today in downtown (edit: downtown Sacramento that is). Text messages often won't send and 3G craps out often. If I hold my phone above my head then it seems to work better. I am in a concrete building and I know that I have interference but it's never really stopped my service in the past beside maybe slowing it down.

Is there a chance that they are working on the R and 15 tower already? Maybe my phone is trying to reach a tower that is further away?

Edited by jwigley

I'm having a very difficult time getting service today in downtown (edit: downtown Sacramento that is). Text messages often won't send and 3G craps out often. If I hold my phone above my head then it seems to work better. I am in a concrete building and I know that I have interference but it's never really stopped my service in the past beside maybe slowing it down.

Is there a chance that they are working on the R and 15 tower already? Maybe my phone is trying to reach a tower that is further away?

Urban sites (especially ones dead set in downtown) have the highest priority for work. Once permission to work has been granted and access to the site is given then the next available contractor will be sent directly to that site regardless if other sites are also available.