sensorly question

chrysokos

I've been using sensorly for a quite a bit, although I've noticed it doesn't overlap existing coverage if better coverage exists at a later date. For example, one tower on a road has been broadcasting LTE for a while. While the signal is strong near the tower, and a deep purple on the map, further down the road it is weaker and a lighter purple. Now, 4 months later, the other tower down the road a few miles is broadcasting LTE and the signal is much stronger because of that. So, if I re-map this area that had a faint purple, it still shows the faint purple on the map, and not the deep purple stronger signal it should be. Anyone else experience this?

• Like 1

According to a post by the sensorly people in the sensorly thread, sensorly averages the overlapping data when it is put on the map. So in other words it will take a few times of mapping the overlapping data to bring the average up and darken the purple on the map.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Sensorly question too. But more of an Android question.

What is the cheapest Sprint LTE Android device that will run Sensorly without issue?

The Viper, Mach, GNex or Victory can be purchased on EBay pretty darn cheaply. Just got to look around.

Robert

I do not suggest the GNex though. We have a member even with stock vanilla ROM on his GNex, polluting the maps so much he stopped mapping once he realized it and saw it. Basically it was marking the maps with dark purple no matter if the signal was weak or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Is there any particular version of Android which will or won't run fully functional Sensorly? I saw several on eBay that have 2.3. Is that sufficient?

What kind of phone? Trying to think of an LTE phone that has 2.3 still and can't think of any but I could be wrong. How much are you wanting to spend and do you actually want a decent phone or just a low bottom line phone?

What kind of phone? Trying to think of an LTE phone that has 2.3 still and can't think of any but I could be wrong. How much are you wanting to spend and do you actually want a decent phone or just a low bottom line phone?

Just need a bottom of the barrel Android phone to do mapping with Sensorly and run Netmonitor/Debug/etc. I want to use iPhone as my primary device but Android to use Sensorly on. Would not like to spend more than $100 if I can help it.

Can the Viper, Victory, Mach etc be upgraded to a newer version of Android? Or is it best to leave them at 2.3?

The Victory is a solid little device. Best RF performer of any Sprint Android phone I've ever tested. Even better than the OG Photon.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

The Victory is a solid little device. Best RF performer of any Sprint Android phone I've ever tested. Even better than the OG Photon.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

So, when's that phone comparison article coming up? *poke*

For the record, my sister has reported a marked improvement in usability in fringe areas after switching from the Photon to the Galaxy S III

• 3 months later...

Why does Sensorly register roaming as it was a Sprint signal?

It is deceiving for 3G maps, especially since the speed is limited to 1x when on Verizon and maybe others.

It's not limited to 1X, that's only on residential accounts/PRLs.  

I did ask Sensorly the same thing and they stated it was to show people where their phone would work.  I think it inflates the actual true network coverage which really distracts from the purpose of Sensorly.  People today are still freaked out about seeing roaming on their phone.  One of my lines asked me this when we were in the city roaming on VZW, I told her to eat it up, they should have signal here.  

Dig, speaking of asking Sensorly (since you seem to have the dev's address), my Sensorly question is....where has he been?  Just curious basically since he doesn't show that he's been around in over a month now.

Dig, speaking of asking Sensorly (since you seem to have the dev's address), my Sensorly question is....where has he been?  Just curious basically since he doesn't show that he's been around in over a month now.

Not sure.  I do know he's been busy busy, not sure on what, maybe other tools for PCMagazine?  I try not to bother him too much and funnel support from here through to him.

It's not limited to 1X, that's only on residential accounts/PRLs.  

I did ask Sensorly the same thing and they stated it was to show people where their phone would work.  I think it inflates the actual true network coverage which really distracts from the purpose of Sensorly.  People today are still freaked out about seeing roaming on their phone.  One of my lines asked me this when we were in the city roaming on VZW, I told her to eat it up, they should have signal here.  

I asked them this two about a year ago, they told me that it doesn't report when roaming, I know this is incorrect though.

I think its very wrong of them to do this.

It its roaming, they should have a different colour to indicate so. I don't mean a slightly/almost the same shade of green like Sprint does on their site, which is almost as deceiving.

It should be something Green = Sprint coverage, Orange = Roaming coverage.

I like that Sensorly shows roaming coverage. I just think it should be a different color.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2