If lte is gsm, then what's the CDMA 4g?

The problem with Rev. B is that there can't be a lot of devices out there supporting it. The market is, for better or worse, standardizing around LTE.

That might be solved by a chip supporting it. Then handsets will simply support it even if its not yet there (without any cost penalty)... kinda like 1x advanced.

That might be solved by a chip supporting it. Then handsets will simply support it even if its not yet there (without any cost penalty)... kinda like 1x advanced.

I think that the chipsets support it. But you still have to support it at the basestation level. For data, why would you go with Rev. B when you can use LTE?

I say rev b should be implemented because for now lte at 1900mhz doesn't reach as far as evdo on 1900. So even when we can't connect to lte rev b would be an excellent fallback

Hopefully 800mhz LTE will reach anywhere the EVDO 1900mhz signal reaches.

it should. I guess I'm just hoping for rev b told hold us over until lte is rolled out on 800 mhz

Well based on timelines that's not going to happen. If Sprint wanted anything to do with Rev. B you would have heard it by now. 800mhz isn't that far off.

I say rev b should be implemented because for now lte at 1900mhz doesn't reach as far as evdo on 1900. So even when we can't connect to lte rev b would be an excellent fallback

EV-DO Rev B would make no difference in those situations. All that it really adds is 64-QAM modulation, which would be irrelevant under weak signal conditions. In other words, where LTE 1900 fades below usability, EV-DO Rev B would be no faster than Rev A.

AJ

• Like 4

But it would be pointless for Sprint to go to rev B. Already next year Sprint is going to start working to roll out LTE-A so why should they worry about a 3G technology plus i think there goal is to get as many people switched to LTE devices as possible so they can start shutting down 2-3G technology so they can add more capacity for LTE. I would rather that happen then for them to waste time and money upgrading to rev B

I've not herd anyting about them shutting down anything but the IDEN network, any posts about plans them "shutting down 2-3G technology so they can add more capacity for LTE" that you could point me to?

I've not herd anyting about them shutting down anything but the IDEN network, any posts about plans them "shutting down 2-3G technology so they can add more capacity for LTE" that you could point me to?

I think the reference is eluding to the fact that once more people are using LTE, an underused EV-DO carrier or two can be taken off line and the spectrum repourposed to additional LTE carriers.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, the theory purposed in other parts of this forum basically say that there are markets in the country that have <10MHz of spectrum, they may consider shutting down a EVDO carrier or 2 in the future for the ability to add an additional LTE carrier. There are several ideas on how this will be accomplished, but they basically surround the fact that the current LTE is being deployed on new spectrum, which will take pressure off the current network. Since less people will be relying on the EVDO network, and the NV will make it much more efficient, it will allow fewer EVDO carriers to service fewer customers. This will allow for another 5x5MHz carrier for LTE on PCS, and bring the total LTE sprint will have deployed to 30MHz (20PCS, 10SMR). This is of obviously not set in stone and is subject to change, but since being bought by SoftBank, I am positive that plans will change for the better. This should make sprint a very competitive national carrier, and once they get clearwire up and running in the cities, they will also have bragging rights for their speeds in the cities!

GSM ~vs~CDMA ~vs~LTE

The thing we have to think of here is which one will be the best supported as we move into the future. I like that everyone is moving to a global standard, as it will drive down the cost for hardware for the towers and phones. Also, it should increase the availability of phones to sprint, as well as allow for future global roaming.

Exactly, the theory purposed in other parts of this forum basically say that there are markets in the country that have <10MHz of spectrum, they may consider shutting down a EVDO carrier or 2 in the future for the ability to add an additional LTE carrier. There are several ideas on how this will be accomplished, but they basically surround the fact that the current LTE is being deployed on new spectrum, which will take pressure off the current network. Since less people will be relying on the EVDO network, and the NV will make it much more efficient, it will allow fewer EVDO carriers to service fewer customers. This will allow for another 5x5MHz carrier for LTE on PCS, and bring the total LTE sprint will have deployed to 30MHz (20PCS, 10SMR). This is of obviously not set in stone and is subject to change, but since being bought by SoftBank, I am positive that plans will change for the better. This should make sprint a very competitive national carrier, and once they get clearwire up and running in the cities, they will also have bragging rights for their speeds in the cities!

GSM ~vs~CDMA ~vs~LTE

The thing we have to think of here is which one will be the best supported as we move into the future. I like that everyone is moving to a global standard, as it will drive down the cost for hardware for the towers and phones. Also, it should increase the availability of phones to sprint, as well as allow for future global roaming.

The proliferation of different frequencies to deploy LTE on will diminish the economies of scale. It will also diminish the possibility of global roaming.

I could see Sprint in the next few years having 40+Mhz of LTE in many markets. If Sprint gets the 10Mhz H Block and LTE conitnues to off load from the EVDO network, I could see only having 10Mhz of EVDO/1X for feature/legacy devices and the rest for smart devices.

10Mhz SMR

10Mhz PCS G

10Mhz PCS H

20Mhz PCS A-F

The proliferation of different frequencies to deploy LTE on will diminish the economies of scale. It will also diminish the possibility of global roaming.

I am not saying that a sprint phone will inherently be able to roam across the world, but I am saying that if everyone is finally using the same technology, it will make it far easier to make global roaming phones. I believe that there is an article about current chipsets that can handle 7 different frequency bands, so it would not be that far of a stretch to say that in the future we could have one phone that could use LTE all over the world. Now there would have to be many antennas in such a phone, and so that might be the limiting factor for such a device.

Now there would have to be many antennas in such a phone, and so that might be the limiting factor for such a device.

You could have an LTE world phone right now, but it comes with this attachment...

clean-three-element-yagi-antenna-800x800.jpg

:P

AJ

• Like 3

You could have an LTE world phone right now, but it comes with this attachment...

clean-three-element-yagi-antenna-800x800.jpg

:P

AJ

well it should be able to pick up signal at the edge of service at least! lmfao... and if they get access to dish's spectrum they can just put this antenna on their phone and watch tv!

g-dish09w.jpg

I am not saying that a sprint phone will inherently be able to roam across the world, but I am saying that if everyone is finally using the same technology, it will make it far easier to make global roaming phones. I believe that there is an article about current chipsets that can handle 7 different frequency bands, so it would not be that far of a stretch to say that in the future we could have one phone that could use LTE all over the world. Now there would have to be many antennas in such a phone, and so that might be the limiting factor for such a device.

I remember that Qualcomm has said that they can only support 3 of those bands at any one time because of the need to support preamps and filters for each of the bands. Yes the WTR1605L will support a total of 7 LTE bands but only three of them at at time.

I remember that Qualcomm has said that they can only support 3 of those bands at any one time because of the need to support preamps and filters for each of the bands. Yes the WTR1605L will support a total of 7 LTE bands but only three of them at at time.

And all that I will add to that is that CURRENTLY we have the technology to use 3 bands at a time and 7 different frequencies bands supported from the same chip currently... with future improvements I could see this expanding (as technology is always improving). I think the bigger challenge will be to incorporate global roaming for countries that do not use the same standard frequencies, but that it an entirely different problem altogether.