How fast is 1X advanced

My understanding is that 1x Advanced is the evolution of the 1xRTT standard. So data is possible and I remember reading somewhere that it can go 3x that of 1xRTT depending on how the voice portion is configured.

My understanding is that 1x Advanced is the evolution of the 1xRTT standard. So data is possible and I remember reading somewhere that it can go 3x that of 1xRTT depending on how the voice portion is configured.

It looks like you may be right, 3x the speed of 1xRTT. Im not sure if Sprint is going to use data over 1x Advanced though. I think they are using it for the increased voice capacity (4x that of standard 1x), increased voice quality, and increased coverage, all while using less spectrum (so that more will be available for EV-DO or LTE). This PDF from Qualcomm explains 1x Advanced nicely.

http://www.google.co...vzfv-VXwNJtWgdA

The best thing for Sprint to do is to take advantage of the 4x capacity with 1x Advanced at 800 Mhz. 800 Mhz already has good propagation characteristics. The more voice capacity Sprint can cram in fewer 1x Advanced carriers the better since they can reduce the number of 1xCDMA 2000 carriers at the PCS band and refarm that spectrum for additional LTE capacity.

The bigger question is how does Sprint plan to chop up the 14 Mhz at 800 Mhz. I propose 3 options but I like option 3 since it gives Sprint plenty of 1x voice capacity with some support of LTE at least for the time being until CDMA phases out in favor of VoLTE.

Does Sprint do

1) One 5x5 LTE carrier and one 1xAdvanced carrier

Sample configuration

816-817: 1 Mhz required guard band based on FCC requirement. Can be used as the CDMA/SMR guard band which is 625 KHz.

817-818.25: a single 1xA CDMA carrier

818.25-818.425:minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band

818.425-823.425: LTE 5 MHz uplink

823.425-824: minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band but has remaining 575 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band to be used between LTE and CDMA Celluar A band

2) One 3x3 LTE carrier and two 1xAdvanced carriers

Sample configuration

816-817: 1 Mhz required guard band based on FCC requirement. Can be used as the CDMA/SMR guard band which is 625 Khz.

818.25-819.5: a single 1xA CDMA carrier

818.5-818.625: minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band

818.625-821.625: LTE 3 MHz uplink

821.625-824: minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band but has 2.375 Mhz LTE/CDMA guard band to be used between LTE and CDMA Celluar A band

3) One 3x3 LTE carrier and three 1xAdvanced carriers

Sample configuration

816-817: 1 Mhz required guard band based on FCC requirement. Can be used as the CDMA/SMR guard band which is 625 Khz.

818.25-819.5: a single 1xA CDMA carrier

819.5-820.75: a single 1xA CDMA carrier or EVDO

820.75-820.925: minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band

820.925-823.925: LTE 3 MHz uplink

823.925-824.1: minimum 175 KHz LTE/CDMA guard band but is short by about 10 KHz which overflows into the Cellular A band. I wish Sprint is somehow able to get a this 10 Khz portion of this spectrum.

Reference to guard band information can be found at the link below on slide 12

http://www.atis.org/...20Migration.pdf

Edited by ericdabbs
  • Like 3

+ericdabbs.. I like the 3 possible options you proposed. But do you really think that they need that much spectrum designated to voice... especially considering voice can still fall back to the 1900mhz spectrum? Well, I guess the same could be said for 800mhz LTE falling back to 1900. Maybe its just because I use data more, but I think I'd rather see the "One 5x5 LTE carrier and one 1xAdvanced carrier." Guess I am just more of a data user than a voice user, which probably makes me bias.

+ericdabbs.. I like the 3 possible options you proposed. But do you really think that they need that much spectrum designated to voice... especially considering voice can still fall back to the 1900mhz spectrum? Well, I guess the same could be said for 800mhz LTE falling back to 1900. Maybe its just because I use data more, but I think I'd rather see the "One 5x5 LTE carrier and one 1xAdvanced carrier." Guess I am just more of a data user than a voice user, which probably makes me bias.

Well lets not forget that Sprint is cell phone carrier so first and foremost, voice has to be number 1 priority. Since VoLTE is not out yet, I want to make sure that Sprint has enough voice capacity to handle the calls. Initially I was like you and wanted Option 1 but the more I thought about it, maybe Option 3 for the time being wouldn't be so bad.

Remember that 1xA can be configured for either 4x the amount of users than 1xCDMA2000 or extend coverage by up to 70%. With the three 1xA carriers at 800 Mhz opting for 4x capacity users, you can pretty much eliminate most of the 1xCDMA2000 carriers at the PCS band with each carrier taking up 1.25 Mhz. Sprint can then refarm and launch larger 10x10 LTE configurations in the PCS band at 1900 Mhz.

Maybe instead of three 1xA carriers for voice, they could have two 1xA voice and one EVDO carrier to help with 3G data speeds with better in building penetration.

Edited by ericdabbs
  • Like 1

I agree, seems like a lot designed to voice. 1xA has the ability to handle 4x the capacity, so having three 1xA channels is like having 12 1x channels. according to the article on the wall a while back, sprint uses 3 1x channels to handle its voice needs right now, and I have not heard anything negative about their voice network. From what I understand , the 1900mhz is the main band for sprint, with 2500 being used for overcapacity of LTE and 800 used for better coverage and building penetration. If that is true, I believe we will see the use of configuration 1; and they will use the 1xA configuration that increases coverage by 70% with the same capacity.

I believe on 1900mhz we will see two 1xA channels instead of three, and both will be using the 4x capacity configuration. That should be enough to handle their voice needs until VoLTE comes out.

This along with do-advanced should help some capacity issues big time no? do-advanced helps huge on the management side of data.

Though I haven't herd anything about DO-Advanced since Azzi commented on it late last year saying that they were "...exploring it..."

Would think that they would go ahead and go with it in the NV upgrades...

1xAdvanced peak speeds are 507 kbps up and down.

1xRTT peaks at 153.4 kbps up and down.

But it's highly likely there will be some EVDO on ESMR 800. In December, the Samsung SPH-D710 was retested specifically for EVDO operation in the ESMR 800 spectrum. In Sprint's waiver letter, sections were specific regarding the Atlanta market. I suspect that Sprint will deploy EVDO in ESMR in capacity contrainted markets like Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, and San Antonio where they don't have much PCS spectrum. It looks like virtually every Sprint ESMR phone has been tested for EVDO running there, but all have been tested from 817.9 - 824.1 MHz only-- like 10 different phones-- so ESMR channels 476-684 will be the only ones available for 1xA or EVDO carriers-- and each carrier will occupy 50 channels in this band class.

Since ESMR power levels (under FCC rule 90S) will be lower than Cellular 850 (under FCC rule 22H) and the consent decree from the rebanding requires Sprint to lower the power even more as the channels drop closer to the public safety spectrum, the highest channels will likely be favored to give close to Cellular coverage (though not quite as good). This means I think the most likely place to search for 1xA or EV carriers is channel 670. A channel centered here would give you exactly a 625 kHz guard band between it and Cellular 850. This is the highest channel Sprint will likely use.

Edited by 4ringsnbr
  • Like 1

One of the things I've still have wanted to know from Sprint is how they will deploy 1xA...for capacity gain, propagation gain or speed gain. Or some variation there of. I've never been able to get a straight answer. Even from people close to NV deployment. :(

For 1xRTT, RC4 on the forward link can allow up to 307.2 kbps at the expense of half the FEC. But few networks seem to enable RC4 (and all CDMA1X handsets that I have ever encountered have come with settings preconfigured to RC3 on the forward link).

AJ

SWEET!..........Wait does that mean the phones now can use 1x A or do we need new phones.

1xA is backward compatible. New phones are not needed. But its in Sprints interest to get 1xA ready devices out there to take advantage of all the network efficiencies it wants to gain from 1x Advanced.

Posted via Forum Runner