Contract-Free iPhone 5

rza_arts

I was thinking of switching to sprint, it would save me a lot of money right now. Could i go into the Apple Store and purchase a sprint iPhone 5 for $650? Would they activate for me there or could i take it home and activate it myself later?

I was thinking of switching to sprint, it would save me a lot of money right now. Could i go into the Apple Store and purchase a sprint iPhone 5 for $650? Would they activate for me there or could i take it home and activate it myself later?

Best option would be go to a Sprint store and buy it there.

I may be mistaken, but I believe sprint makes you sign a two year agreement when you sign up with their service, even of you buy your phone contract free. But supposedly you still are eligible for a phone subsidy

This.

You'll still have to sign an agreement and have an ETF (Don't ask me why). BUT, you can still get a subsidized phone at pretty much anytime during the commitment. I often have customers sign up for service with an old phone purchased from Ebay or given to them from a friend. They sit on the "upgrade" until something comes out they really want.

This.

You'll still have to sign an agreement and have an ETF (Don't ask me why). BUT' date=' you can still get a subsidized phone at pretty much anytime during the commitment. I often have customers sign up for service with an old phone purchased from Ebay or given to them from a friend. They sit on the "upgrade" until something comes out they really want.[/quote']

Is the same true if you add a line to an existing account? Mandatory two years on that line, even if you have your own device? But still able to upgrade when you want?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Also, the last time I checked, you do not get roaming on Virgin or Boost. Only on Sprint post paid.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

I want to say you can go to the Apple Store and get the device uncontracted for $600, as for signing up for the service, I believe the posts above are correct. You have to sign up for a 2 Year Agreement even if you already have the phone. Other carriers like T-Mobile will allow you to add their Monthly-4G without signing a contract, or at least that's what I have been told. You can always call Sprint and ask, maybe, just maybe, (highly unlikely) you will get lucky.

Edited by nocturnal

Is the same true if you add a line to an existing account? Mandatory two years on that line, even if you have your own device? But still able to upgrade when you want?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

It will be a 2 year contract on the new line even on existing accounts, but because you open your line with your own device, the upgrade would still be avail,,, I work for Sprint Account services team,,,

• Like 3

It will be a 2 year contract on the new line even on existing accounts, but because you open your line with your own device, the upgrade would still be avail,,, I work for Sprint Account services team,,,

Thanks for the clarification. I've always wondered.

Robert

Tmobile does now. You have to be on prepaid to not have a contract. Value plan comes with 2 year agreement with 200 dollar etf. Also I believe they reset your contract when you change your plan. That is what happened to me when I had a contract family plan in 2008.

Wait, really? I'm pretty sure you can activate a phone no-contract, even start up a new line of service, as long as you bring your own device. Because, uh, we've done that before, in-store. It prints up on the contract as "NC", a 0-month term.

• Like 1

Wait, really? I'm pretty sure you can activate a phone no-contract, even start up a new line of service, as long as you bring your own device. Because, uh, we've done that before, in-store. It prints up on the contract as "NC", a 0-month term.

I asked a rep, and he informed be that this was possible, but only with a non smartphone.

I asked a rep' date=' and he informed be that this was possible, but only with a non smartphone.[/quote']

So, I wonder if you could start the contract with a non smartphone, then swap the phone to a smartphone. The sticking point might be adding data and the premium data fee...

So, I wonder if you could start the contract with a non smartphone, then swap the phone to a smartphone. The sticking point might be adding data and the premium data fee...

That's a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that too.

He said there was a special plan for it- $39.99 I believe. You get 300 minutes. I guess you could start with this then switch over to a smartphone plan...

Really? That Sucks! I can't believe they won't let you be contract free even if you buy your own device (well smartphones). I know Verizon and ATT Will let me without a 2 year contract. Hmm might have to rethink my options, i'm not really looking for a 2-year contract.

Honestly,

200 for iPhone 5 + 350 ETF = 550 so you save money anyway.

Just get a post-paid account.

Edit: if you don't already know, ETF = Early termination fee, it's what you pay to cancel the contract.

Edit 2: also you should add the line through the employee referral program, you get more minutes and the total bill is only 69.99 a month instead of 79.99.

Instructions for that and more discounts (others may be better for you)

http://www.howardfor...08#post14080108

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I always point it out to people that its cheaper to pay the etf then try and do no contract. The most it would be is 550 so a 100 savings and if you keep it til 6 months it goes down 20 a month.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2