First Sprint LTE handset when?

I was in the sprint store today, and although I know their reps know little to none about release dates etc. The rep told me that it would probably be until summer.

Haha another example of a rep that doesn't know what he's talking about. If the initial LTE markets are to be launched before end of June then the phones have to be launched by or before then. I honestly don't think the sprint reps at the store know when the LTE phones will be released. I am not sure how many sprint reps know much about Network Vision and LTE until they are trained up on it.

You would think Sprint would want to hurry up and get them out so that they could sign more 2 year contracts. Then again they often do not have the best management. I am still worried with all the negative press they have been receiving if they will be able to pull this whole NV plan off successfully. I am rooting for them, but now with Comcast suing them that will only hurt them more. However, Sprint does know that this may be their last chance and getting things right, so I firmly believe they will get it right.

Their VP stated awhile ago they they expected LTE devices to hit market 3rd qtr this yr and could even be late 3rd at that...

Was on engadget before CES but I remember this for sure.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I saw that too, but there is no reason they would wait until 3Q to release the nexus. The nexus would be nearly obsolete by then even with it being a plus model. The next nexus would likely be coming out 4Q.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Found this on another message board. It actually makes a lot of sense.

"3-23-10 EVO 4G announced

6-4-10 EVO 4G available for sale

3-21-11 Sprint Nexus S 4G announced

5-8-11 Sprint Nexus S 4G available for sale

10-18-11 Verizon G-Nex announced

12-15-11 Verizon G-Nex available for sale

1-9-12 Sprint G-Nex announced

3-9-12 Sprint G-Nex available for sale?"

If it is released in March, I would think we would be getting leaks very soon. I would probably put the release at April 15th. If they wait too long there will be pure anarchy in the Sprint community.

Both the Nexus and the LG Viper have been hands-on tested (although I am not sure if the Nexus was the + model) They are probably sitting in a warehouse in some buy high sell low ploy by Sprint...

The sprint CTIA show is in May. So that's when I would guess you'd hear about a big phone release. Last year at this show Sprint announced the EVO 3D and the year before that it was the original EVO 4G. I would hope Sprint would use the show to announce LTE being lit up in its first few markets and the galaxy nexus going on sale along with any other lte phone they may release.

+JustinRP37 to be fair, Sprint sued the cable cos first over some voip patents. So, a retaliation lawsuit from Comcast was inevitable. We'll see how it sorts out.

• Like 1

The sprint CTIA show is in May. So that's when I would guess you'd hear about a big phone release. Last year at this show Sprint announced the EVO 3D and the year before that it was the original EVO 4G. I would hope Sprint would use the show to announce LTE being lit up in its first few markets and the galaxy nexus going on sale along with any other lte phone they may release.

+JustinRP37 to be fair, Sprint sued the cable cos first over some voip patents. So, a retaliation lawsuit from Comcast was inevitable. We'll see how it sorts out.

Annouce a phone in January then re-anounce it in May? That doesn't make sense.

I bet they will announce a whole slew of other LTE devices... but the first three should be out before CTIA.

Annouce a phone in January then re-anounce it in May? That doesn't make sense.

I bet they will announce a whole slew of other LTE devices... but the first three should be out before CTIA.

You can announce the release date though.

Almost makes me wonder if they didn't tease the Galaxy Nexus so that it would stop some customers from jumping ship just for the Nexus. Then make everyone wait until the Nexus is pretty much irrelevant to release it.

There were reports of Verizon getting some kind of exclusive rights contract to the Nexus. Maybe it was a 6 month exclusive agreement? That would put the release date mid May, right after CTIA.

Yes, we will have to see how this sorts out. If it is another blow against Sprint, then things will get tricky. The markets have not been kind to them lately and the current cash-flow is starting to disturb investors. Hence why they really need NV to be a huge success otherwise we are probably looking at problems within two years.

Almost makes me wonder if they didn't tease the Galaxy Nexus so that it would stop some customers from jumping ship just for the Nexus. Then make everyone wait until the Nexus is pretty much irrelevant to release it.

There were reports of Verizon getting some kind of exclusive rights contract to the Nexus. Maybe it was a 6 month exclusive agreement? That would put the release date mid May, right after CTIA.

Would it make sense to announce a handset six months before a customer can buy it?

Yeah next EVO will likely be announced then bit possibly the nexus be out earlier. CTIA being a month later than normal is a little wrinkle in this...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Would it make sense to announce a handset six months before a customer can buy it?

There are only a few reasons I can think of to announce but not release. 1. You cannot sell it due to some contract. 2. You are waiting for the manufacturer to go through alpha beta and release candidate testing. 3. You are waiting for the manufacturer to provide sufficient stock that you can distribute and not have mass shortages.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I read somewhere (I thought it was written by Robert but I can't find it) that Sprint employees are testing the heck out of the Nexus and they are loving it. I would guess if LTE and multi-mode problems are resolved then a May release may happen. More realistic would probably be early June. I expect another phone announced at WMC followed by another announcement at CTIA in May.

I read somewhere (I thought it was written by Robert but I can't find it) that Sprint employees are testing the heck out of the Nexus and they are loving it. I would guess if LTE and multi-mode problems are resolved then a May release may happen. More realistic would probably be early June. I expect another phone announced at WMC followed by another announcement at CTIA in May.

Definitely not me. None of the Sprint folks I know have one. But I don't exactly quiz them with PM's/Tweets about what they're holding at any given moment. We don't have that kind of rapport. ;-)

I bet Deval has played with one, though.

Posted via Forum Runner

Definitely not me. None of the Sprint folks I know have one. But I don't exactly quiz them with PM's/Tweets about what they're holding at any given moment. We don't have that kind of rapport. ;-)

I bet Deval has played with one, though.

Posted via Forum Runner

No doubt there are a few devices wandering around KC going through some form of testing. Would make sense if they are targeting a late q2/early q3 rollout of the network in some markets.