First Sprint LTE handset when?

That's what happens whenever an Galaxy S series is announced in the spring. The U.S gets it that fall.

Released, sure - but announced by a carrier?

I can't think of a device that was announced by a carrier and took six months to get to market. Any history buffs here?

Released, sure - but announced by a carrier?

I can't think of a device that was announced by a carrier and took six months to get to market. Any history buffs here?

I agree this is different than an international model/US model delay. It's not even a GSM/CDMA delay. The only thing they HAD to change from Verizon's Nexus was the frequencies of the radios. Shouldn't take this long. There has to be something else holding it up.

I agree this is different than an international model/US model delay. It's not even a GSM/CDMA delay. The only thing they HAD to change from Verizon's Nexus was the frequencies of the radios. Shouldn't take this long. There has to be something else holding it up.

I am assuming that it has to do with no LTE commercially available anywhere.

I think once they even get a few sites up and running, fully tested, and commerically turned on they will launch the Galaxy Nexus.

April is still seeming like the most likely time for that to happen.

The Palm Pre.

Close, palm pre was not announced by Sprint, it was announced by Palm. It was entire CES event put on by Palm, not sprint.

More technically, it was announced on Jan 8th and was released on June 6th - not six months.

Either way, no go :)

Lots of things might be holding it up.

1. The handset or software may not be signed, sealed and delivered just yet. Perhaps the Sprint GN is getting an updated Android build.
  2. Might be waiting until at least one LTE market is fully lit up (or nearly so) to showcase the flagship.
  3. Could be the logistics within Sprint, from system updates to the probably larger task of getting tens of thousands of Sprint sales/support people up to speed on what exactly LTE is/means and how to support it.
  4. Maybe it's just a complicated process to actually roll out a new network with new technology, while making sure it plays nice with the old stuff.

It'll be released when Sprint believes all it's ducks are lined up. April/May seems most reasonable.

Edited by oversight

Sprint keeps trying to put bloatware on the nexus I bet. And Google won't let them have it on there...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Taking what you said there as a joke btw.

But i do love how ppl associate bloatware with sprint when out of all the US carriers they are one of the most responsive with it making a lot of it removable at least in newer devices.

Also whatever they are doing it will be better than VZ version as they somehow got the OK to strip features off the Nexus like Google wallet...still can't believe Google was ok with that.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I personally don't have an issue with pre loaded bloatware. I just don't want to be blocked from removing it.

Posted via Forum Runner

• Like 2

The carrier bloatware is some of the most uninspired engineering ever. IMO it's mainly just put on there so that people who don't know where to get the good apps can still have some functionality of a smartphone. Verizon uses it to nickel and dime you to death. Sprint uses it to fill up your internal memory...

• Like 3

The carrier bloatware is some of the most uninspired engineering ever. IMO it's mainly just put on there so that people who don't know where to get the good apps can still have some functionality of a smartphone. Verizon uses it to nickel and dime you to death. Sprint uses it to fill up your internal memory...

At least from what I've experienced, bloatware is usually installed into the /System/app partition. Technically, I wouldn't say that it is quite fair to say that that fills up your internal memory. The phone memory when manufactured is partitioned into a few partitions: boot, recovery, user, system, radio (real time os for the CDMA), wimax (real time os for the wimax chip) and data partitions. System is usually 256 or 512 MB or something like that. An AOSP Gingerbread Android build is about 90 MB and about 120 to 180 MB for Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0). And HTC Sense/Gingerbread takes at least 200 MB, I think. But this software is installed into the /System partition which has already been partitioned. So any extra space in the /System area could be loaded with bloatware applications. And then because user-installed apps are installed on the /Data partition, extra bloatware installed into /System has no effect on the free space on the /Data partition.

A small nitpick I know, but I feel it deserves to be mentioned. Of course, the extra icons shown in the launcher for bloatware is a valid concern as that can be bothersome; however, in ICS you can disable those applications.

Thanks for the info, strung. That's good to know. My biggest complaint about bloatware was security/privacy. I didn't like when Sprint did an update on the Evo and put a game called Nova on there. It had access to everything on my device. Including SMS. That did not sit right with me. And the fact that I couldn't remove it ticked me off. There was no legitimate purpose of why that bloatware had access to everything on my device. So it left me to conclude the worst.

:imo: Its my device and I should have everything or nothing in my device. Whatever I so choose.

Thanks again for your post. Very informative.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

• Like 1

The LG Viper was FCC approved on January 9, and it is likely in production. It had to lose EVDO capabilities on ESMR to gain LTE on PCS (1900 MHz) capability, but it does do SVDO on 3G and SVLTE of course on 4G. If you want more details on it, check for the FCC ID with the model number LS840 under LG.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE for Sprint hasn't been approved by the FCC yet, but they're probably reworking the Verizon model now. They'll have to change the pre-amp and LNA on the LTE chip to work in the PCS band rather than the 700 MHz band. They'll also have to redesign the receive antennas (they can be closer together) for proper 2x Rx diversity on LTE. They'll also need to add a pre-amp and LNA and antenna set to do ESMR CDMA and EVDO. Sprint will also probably force them to change to a Qualcomm CDMA baseband-- the cheap Chinese Via baseband they use works fine with Verizon's strong signal, but Sprint's PCS signal in most areas is too marginal to use it-- search the forums and you'll see why changing that baseband is a smart move...

• Like 5