Questions about panels

hmmm.... Don't like the sound of 44% fewer towers. That sounds like a big reduction in coverage. Are they mostly gone already?

No only 9600 of the 30000 sites have been decommissioned so far since the Nextel network is not shut down yet until June 30, 2013. Keep in mind all the towers that are being decommissioned are Nextel sites and not Sprint sites which for the most part are located in areas where Sprint coverage overlaps. Don't think of Nextel and Sprint towers as being strategically located where they don't overlap each other and cover a lot more area. I am not sure about the statistics but maybe Robert can comment on this but I would guess that at least 70-80% of the Nextel towers are located in areas that Sprint overlaps in their coverage. With Sprint putting antennas on Sprint towers to use the 800 MHz frequency after Nextel shuts down it would appear as if it no tower was lost in terms of coverage.

With Sprint putting antennas on Sprint towers to use the 800 MHz frequency after Nextel shuts down it would appear as if it no tower was lost in terms of coverage.

In most areas but not all. Go compare the Nextel and Sprint coverage across Louisiana... zoom out where you can see Baton Rouge, Hammond, Slidell (northeast portion) and flip back and forth.

In most areas but not all. Go compare the Nextel and Sprint coverage across Louisiana... zoom out where you can see Baton Rouge, Hammond, Slidell (northeast portion) and flip back and forth.

Yeah yeah I know all about New Orleans and Baton Rouge :P . I heard enough from you and 4ringsbnr a long long time ago about the lack of coverage in Louisiana.. Besides Louisiana, I would say what I stated is true.

I am not sure about the statistics but maybe Robert can comment on this but I would guess that at least 70-80% of the Nextel towers are located in areas that Sprint overlaps in their coverage.

This sounds about right. I would estimate about 80% of Nextel sites nationwide are in Sprint CDMA coverage areas.

Robert via Moto Photon Q using Forum Runner

Does anyone know if any other carrier has mismatched panels on each sector besides Sprint when the new ones are installed? I have Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Metro, Nextel stuff, and of course Sprint

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone know if any other carrier has mismatched panels on each sector besides Sprint when the new ones are installed? I have Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Metro, Nextel stuff, and of course Sprint

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

AT&T and Verizon do as well. Look in my New Orleans market thread and you'll see several pics of AT&T gear.

• Like 1

Are carriers allowed to install bird deterrents on these towers? At the hospital I work at they install these spikes/spines to keep the pigeons away so that they cannot land on the flat surfaces they like...couldn't they do that to these towers to prevent the stupid birds from making nests?

Are carriers allowed to install bird deterrents on these towers? At the hospital I work at they install these spikes/spines to keep the pigeons away so that they cannot land on the flat surfaces they like...couldn't they do that to these towers to prevent the stupid birds from making nests?

The birds that we are talking about are protected