Network Vision/LTE - North Wisconsin Market (Wausau/Green Bay/Appleton)

n9ovreric

Yeah' date=' you're telling me, brother. We've got all kinds of "speed upgrades" and "capacity upgrades" in Madison, but I haven't had an inkling of LTE signal at all....not that I'm expecting to be able to access it, but seriously man. I live directly across the street from one of their biggest towers in the area so I'd assume it would be first-ish on the list. You know, the only place to catch WiMax in Madison (which is/was never launched here) was a fleeting amount of signal on a dinky tower over near West Towne Mall, near Woodman's. So who knows, maybe that'll be the first tower.

The story I've gotten about Madison from a Sprint guy in KC that I trust was that this whole network was 3rd partied for Sprint for many years and then recently (like 5 years ago) they bought back all the towers and started running it again. They know it is under powered for the population and they are working on it. I'm really, really, really holding out here with Sprint. Have 5 lines invested in them in multiple cities. Really hope they do something here soon. I've been patient.[/quote']

We all should see work starting very soon. More snow on the way.

Yeah, you're telling me, brother. We've got all kinds of "speed upgrades" and "capacity upgrades" in Madison, but I haven't had an inkling of LTE signal at all....not that I'm expecting to be able to access it, but seriously man. I live directly across the street from one of their biggest towers in the area so I'd assume it would be first-ish on the list. You know, the only place to catch WiMax in Madison (which is/was never launched here) was a fleeting amount of signal on a dinky tower over near West Towne Mall, near Woodman's. So who knows, maybe that'll be the first tower.

The story I've gotten about Madison from a Sprint guy in KC that I trust was that this whole network was 3rd partied for Sprint for many years and then recently (like 5 years ago) they bought back all the towers and started running it again. They know it is under powered for the population and they are working on it. I'm really, really, really holding out here with Sprint. Have 5 lines invested in them in multiple cities. Really hope they do something here soon. I've been patient.

This is so insane! I work on the west side, and when I have my OG Evo, I would go over to the west towne mall so I could get Wi-Max.....seriously, I don't want to go visit my Wausau to get LTE

This is so insane! I work on the west side' date=' and when I have my OG Evo, I would go over to the west towne mall so I could get Wi-Max.....seriously, I don't want to go visit my Wausau to get LTE[/quote']

Madison needs more sites and capacity . The belt line sites get destroyed every night.

Sent from phone

Yeah' date=' you're telling me, brother. We've got all kinds of "speed upgrades" and "capacity upgrades" in Madison, but I haven't had an inkling of LTE signal at all....not that I'm expecting to be able to access it, but seriously man. I live directly across the street from one of their biggest towers in the area so I'd assume it would be first-ish on the list. You know, the only place to catch WiMax in Madison (which is/was never launched here) was a fleeting amount of signal on a dinky tower over near West Towne Mall, near Woodman's. So who knows, maybe that'll be the first tower.

The story I've gotten about Madison from a Sprint guy in KC that I trust was that this whole network was 3rd partied for Sprint for many years and then recently (like 5 years ago) they bought back all the towers and started running it again. They know it is under powered for the population and they are working on it. I'm really, really, really holding out here with Sprint. Have 5 lines invested in them in multiple cities. Really hope they do something here soon. I've been patient.[/quote']

Thanks for this info. I never used to understand why Madison was so bad! I wonder if our resident experts know any more about this?

Sent from phone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tazman

I wanted to share that they are starting to upgrade the towers in Wausau WI. We ran some conduit for the fiber contractor at a cell site in Wausau as the west industrial site. They claim that Sprint is asking them every day if they have the fiber completed. I am assuming that this is for the backhaul.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know that the cell signal is getting stronger because I live in an over lap are between the tower on Rib mountain and the tower by the rive by Foremost, i am able to disconnect the airave and use my cell phone with out losing signal.

• Like 1

I wanted to share that they are starting to upgrade the towers in Wausau WI. We ran some conduit for the fiber contractor at a cell site in Wausau as the west industrial site. They claim that Sprint is asking them every day if they have the fiber completed. I am assuming that this is for the backhaul.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know that the cell signal is getting stronger because I live in an over lap are between the tower on Rib mountain and the tower by the rive by Foremost' date=' i am able to disconnect the airave and use my cell phone with out losing signal.[/quote']

If that the tower by man made lake? As I also live in Wausau. I'm waiting on the tower down town to start work. I see some conduit. On 3rd street well that's really cool tho.

Ive been seeing work going on at a couple sites' date=' looks promising.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

[/quote']

All the site's I've been by I haven't seen anything so far. Wonder if they week be full builds and be lte at first or just 3g as they turn them on in clusters.

That's a good question.

I know they're pulling a lot of fiber up here right now. I've delivered rolls for a few of the contractors. Not sure who they were pulling for but there aren't many upgrading right now.

ATT is supposedly pulling for 3g in point, but these guys were pulling Wausau.

That's a good question.

I know they're pulling a lot of fiber up here right now. I've delivered rolls for a few of the contractors. Not sure who they were pulling for but there aren't many upgrading right now.

ATT is supposedly pulling for 3g in point' date=' but these guys were pulling Wausau.

[/quote']

I'm guessing Your in the point area? I haven't got the chance to get up close to any of the sites here to see if there are any new shipments in. Lime base cabinets panels or rru's

I was dropping rolls of fiber for several places, and we delivered some crates here and there. I drive for an LTL carrier, so unless its hazmat or open, most of the time I have no clue what's in the box.

I live in Point, but my route covers Point, Rapids, Wausau, Marshfield, Waupaca and Weyauwega.

Edited by nophix
  • Like 1

I was dropping rolls of fiber for several places' date=' and we delivered some crates here and there. I drive for an LTL carrier, so unless its hazmat or open, most of the time I have no clue what's in the box.

I live in Point, but my route covers Point, Rapids, Wausau, Marshfield, Waupaca and Weyauwega.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

That's cool, I drive cab here and been by most of the sites.. I have seen the conduit out on the 72 nd ave site.

I need to map Point next. I think some of the equipment went to those sites.

No joke, ehrpd pulls 2.5mps on cty R in Point.

In Green Bay- ML15AL018 had large reels of tubing as well as six trucks on site this morning (one truck said Elexco inc. no idea who they are or what they do. ML15AL015 had large reels of tubing and a truck on site this morning as well. These are both water towers and house other carriers so I'm hoping its work for Sprint and no one else.

In Green Bay- ML15AL018 had large reels of tubing as well as six trucks on site this morning (one truck said Elexco inc. no idea who they are or what they do. ML15AL015 had large reels of tubing and a truck on site this morning as well. These are both water towers and house other carriers so I'm hoping its work for Sprint and no one else.

That's the conduit for the fiber. a few towers here have a bunch of it by each site.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tazman

Thats good news finally some movement. They were back at the cell tower by 72nd avenue late this afternoon to work on the fiber. Slow movement but better than no movement, if this weather ever warms up I would think that would help.

Thats good news finally some movement. They were back at the cell tower by 72nd avenue late this afternoon to work on the fiber. Slow movement but better than no movement' date=' if this weather ever warms up I would think that would help.[/quote']

I hope to see more work starting soon. There is not a ton of towers here to upgrade so work should go pretty fast. Nothing yet on the tower on 3rd street yet went by there today.

I think NV is complete here. Ha!

129kbps down, 43kbps up

Yep...... It's been over a month since you have posted this speed test and even after all the supposedly "network improvments" in the area, these are about the same type of speeds I'm getting on or around the beltline, and around Middleton. Funny thing is, I'm pulling in anywhere from .500kbps to 2.00 kbps In my Middleton appartment. Go figure, the fastest speeds I'm pulling are usless too me as I'm connected to wifi at home.

I wish I knew which tower I get my connection from so I can scout out my home tower for nv work? I live right by Bishops Bay in Middleton. I can see a tower located in a park on a water tower but I dont think it's a Sprint tower, as I dont get full bars when I'm close to it

Yep...... It's been over a month since you have posted this speed test and even after all the supposedly "network improvments" in the area' date=' these are about the same type of speeds I'm getting on or around the beltline, and around Middleton. Funny thing is, I'm pulling in anywhere from .500kbps to 2.00 kbps In my Middleton appartment. Go figure, the fastest speeds I'm pulling are usless too me as I'm connected to wifi at home.

I wish I knew which tower I get my connection from so I can scout out my home tower for nv work? I live right by Bishops Bay in Middleton. I can see a tower located in a park on a water tower but I dont think it's a Sprint tower, as I dont get full bars when I'm close to it[/quote']

Become a sponsor to see all the goodies

I wish I knew which tower I get my connection from so I can scout out my home tower for nv work?

1. Become a Sponsor or Premier Sponsor. And/or:

2. Buy Signal Check Pro from Google Play Store (written by an S4GRU Premier). And/or:

3. Use NetMonitor (free) from Google Play Store (It may tell you that your tower is in Bangladesh, but it does show it correctly on the map).

Be warned: Southeast Wisconsin Sprint towers don't transmit their actual geographic locations (like northern Illinois towers do), but will typically show 3 locations, 1 for each sector. You find the matching BSID's (usually they are 3 consecutive numbers), look at the triangle they make on a map, and the actual tower is approximately in the middle. Sponsor maps show the exact locations.