Network Vision/LTE - Northern & Southern Connecticut Markets (includes all cities)

shmget

Glad to hear. I see the Hulu problem posted occasionally. This must be a G2 bug with the app.

Robert

Seems like it, I already contacted Hulu about it but they just sent me a bs troubleshooting response which I already pretty much did on my own. I have a question for you though. Why is LTE on the 1900 band so bad at penetrating through buildings but 3G does great on the same frequency? In my home area everywhere I go I get full bars of 3G but with LTE the coverage is always fuzzy. Even outside the most I see is 2-3 bars unless I'm right under a tower.

Seems like it, I already contacted Hulu about it but they just sent me a bs troubleshooting response which I already pretty much did on my own. I have a question for you though. Why is LTE on the 1900 band so bad at penetrating through buildings but 3G does great on the same frequency? In my home area everywhere I go I get full bars of 3G but with LTE the coverage is always fuzzy. Even outside the most I see is 2-3 bars unless I'm right under a tower.

It's LTE in general.  LTE has a fragile airlink.  It does on all carriers.  It needs more signal to be effective.  Sprint is currently deploying LTE 1900 on the same site density as their CDMA 1900.  That will not work very well in places with spread out density.  It works much better in places with a dense tower network.  T-Mobile has the same problem with their LTE on AWS.  And Verizon's LTE 750 doesn't travel as far as their CDMA 850 network.  LTE just needs more signal to equal coverage of 3G EVDO.  EVDO is a wonderful technology in that regard.

A great LTE network also has lower frequency spectrum to pair with PCS or AWS.  Sprint is starting to deploy LTE on 800MHz too now.  It is a relatively quick overlay style deployment, and they will be able to get it on most LTE 1900 sites by the end of 2014.  It will travel much farther and penetrate much better.  Just like Verizon's 750MHz LTE band.  But you will need a Sprint Dualband/Triband device to be able to use it.

Robert

It's LTE in general. LTE has a fragile airlink. It does on all carriers. It needs more signal to be effective. Sprint is currently deploying LTE 1900 on the same site density as their CDMA 1900. That will not work very well in places with spread out density. It works much better in places with a dense tower network. T-Mobile has the same problem with their LTE on AWS. And Verizon's LTE 750 doesn't travel as far as their CDMA 850 network. LTE just needs more signal to equal coverage of 3G EVDO. EVDO is a wonderful technology in that regard.

A great LTE network also has lower frequency spectrum to pair with PCS or AWS. Sprint is starting to deploy LTE on 800MHz too now. It is a relatively quick overlay style deployment, and they will be able to get it on most LTE 1900 sites by the end of 2014. It will travel much farther and penetrate much better. Just like Verizon's 750MHz LTE band. But you will need a Sprint Dualband/Triband device to be able to use it.

Robert

Thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression evdo did better than LTE on that regard. So I shouldn't expect great LTE coverage like that of evdo on my Note 2 till I upgrade to a tri-band device basically. This makes me want to take my niece's G2 and stick her with this Note lol.. But no I'll just wait for the Note 4 like I have been for a while now.

Picked it up fine Wednesday in Wallingford right where RT68 meets the Wilbur Cross, stock S3 with 25017

You know, I was dumb.  Its still the testing SID, I just didnt realize it.  So no surprise stock PRL doesnt pick it up yet.  Wallingford is in Southern CT market, which makes sense as to why you picked it up, its farther along than Northern CT Market in terms of 800 voice.

Thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression evdo did better than LTE on that regard. So I shouldn't expect great LTE coverage like that of evdo on my Note 2 till I upgrade to a tri-band device basically. This makes me want to take my niece's G2 and stick her with this Note lol.. But no I'll just wait for the Note 4 like I have been for a while now.

The LTE 1900 coverage will get better as more sites get online and they optimize the signal a little more.  But it will be much better to get a Triband device.  Not just for the LTE 800, but Band 41 is being rolled out on WiMax sites in Connecticut.  With a wide channel, it runs significantly faster.  In CT, you definitely will want to go Triband soon.

Robert

• Like 1

The LTE 1900 coverage will get better as more sites get online and they optimize the signal a little more. But it will be much better to get a Triband device. Not just for the LTE 800, but Band 41 is being rolled out on WiMax sites in Connecticut. With a wide channel, it runs significantly faster. In CT, you definitely will want to go Triband soon.

Robert

What really amazes me is that I had full bars of WiMAX on my S2 at home and on my Note I have to turn off LTE if I want usable data. And what's even funnier is that my home had 4G LTE before my sisters home and my aunts but now they have it and a pretty strong signal at that. Maybe Sprint has my tower marked as last to be upgraded since my data usage is always 20+ gigs lol. As for upgrading I don't want to use my upgrade so I'll stick it out till the Note 4. Also i noticed that after like a week of 800smr, it seems like they shut it down. All my phones are back at 1xrtt! I was picking up 800smr all the way from the westend to the northend of Hartford. Sure was nice! Edited by RayTrue04

Posted Image

This is sitting in hartford hospital, 800mhz is awesome

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's even a decent LTE 1900 signal too. If we had that kind of signal everywhere, we'd all be happy with our service. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

yqude3yp.jpg

This is sitting in hartford hospital, 800mhz is awesome

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Where are you actually in the hospital?  I had great 800 there last night, but in the back half of the ER I didnt have LTE at all.  With you having a Nexus 5, and great LTE, makes me wonder if there is more than 800 voice going on.....Can you look at the engineering screen to see LTE connection info?

That's even a decent LTE 1900 signal too. If we had that kind of signal everywhere, we'd all be happy with our service. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I am legitimately curious if that is 1900 LTE.  I barely had LTE at the doors last night.  The hospital is so big that being on a different side than I was could be the exact reason why, but my 800 was same sector and nearly same signal strength (I was -67).

If you do the rough conversion of db to RSRP, -69 = -89 (and he has -90), damn close.  could it be???  doubtful...but...you never know

I am legitimately curious if that is 1900 LTE.  I barely had LTE at the doors last night.  The hospital is so big that being on a different side than I was could be the exact reason why, but my 800 was same sector and nearly same signal strength (I was -67).

If you do the rough conversion of db to RSRP, -69 = -89 (and he has -90), damn close.  could it be???  doubtful...but...you never know

Unfortunately, the Nexus 5 does not idle on Voice and Data simultaneously so that most definitely is not a Tri-band device. Besides that,

His signature reads..."Sent from my SPH-L710"

What do you mean it does not idle voice and data?

his phones/devices listing reads previously the S3 on his s4gru profile, so if he saved tapatalk signature with his settings and loaded on new device, it would still say that.  For a while my ipad said that until I updated it, because I carried over the settings.

I am not saying this is 800 LTE.  But without further information from him, his signal level doesnt jive with what I saw in the same spot last night on my S3.  If he is on the 6th floor, near a window, thats a lot different than if he says I am in the ER, where I checked my signal last night.

Is 800 using the same Provider 310120 id? What about band 41 ID?

What do you mean it does not idle voice and data?

his phones/devices listing reads previously the S3 on his s4gru profile, so if he saved tapatalk signature with his settings and loaded on new device, it would still say that.  For a while my ipad said that until I updated it, because I carried over the settings.

I am not saying this is 800 LTE.  But without further information from him, his signal level doesnt jive with what I saw in the same spot last night on my S3.  If he is on the 6th floor, near a window, thats a lot different than if he says I am in the ER, where I checked my signal last night.

Is 800 using the same Provider 310120 id? What about band 41 ID?

Depending on how the sectors are aimed, it wouldn't surprise me if he was on the same 1x sector as you, get a similar signal strength, but for him to be in LTE 1900 coverage, and you not.  For instance, let's take this scenario.  You are near the ground floor and your 1x signal strength is very good.  If you went to a higher floor, you would assume the signal would get better.  So you've ruled out that he could be on a higher floor.  

But what if he was on a higher floor, but on the opposite side of the building that the site?  That means his 1x signal would get better as he went up, but it would get worse as he went to the other side of the building.  Making his signal strength roughly the same as yours.

And if that's the case, then he would also be in a position much more likely to get LTE 1900 than where you were at.  You are thinking of RF lineally.  Where as RF is broadcast more in a semi sphere.

As for 310120...that has never been seen on Band 41 yet.  Only Bands 25 and 26 have been seen with that ID so far.  As for idling on voice and data, what is being referred to is that we know he is not using a Triband device because both LTE and 1x signals are present in SignalCheck app.  A Triband device would only show LTE, as it does not park in 1x and LTE at the same time.  Only one or the other.  Triband devices only move over to 1x from LTE when CSFB tells it to.

Robert

I am legitimately curious if that is 1900 LTE. I barely had LTE at the doors last night. The hospital is so big that being on a different side than I was could be the exact reason why, but my 800 was same sector and nearly same signal strength (I was -67).

If you do the rough conversion of db to RSRP, -69 = -89 (and he has -90), damn close. could it be??? doubtful...but...you never know

Ok so I did some testing in my own house on my S3. I am getting a -19 to -21 signal change between 800 voice and 1900 LTE. I had to go into the basement, since I am so close to the tower, but I was able to get nearly identical readings.

we know he is not using a Triband device because both LTE and 1x signals are present in SignalCheck app.  A Triband device would only show LTE, as it does not park in 1x and LTE at the same time.  Only one or the other.  Triband devices only move over to 1x from LTE when CSFB tells it to.

Robert

Thank you for the refresher.  Now I remembered that.

When can I get an S5 and pawn off my S3 again?   :D

Sorry I still have the SGS3, the nexus 5 is getting delivered today, will activate this weekend.  That was on the 9th floor.  I could see the cell tower on the roof of the building next to me, not sure if it was Sprint but considering the signal it probably is

I have no trouble with LTE anywhere in the hospital, and 800 penetrates into the basement.

Looking really good

I'll take some more shots.  I don't know how to get to the engineering screen...I'm running CM11 on SGS3 right now until I change the phone

I don't think any more info is required.  It wouldn't reveal anything conclusive.

Robert

• Like 1

I don't think any more info is required.  It wouldn't reveal anything conclusive.

Robert

nm then lol, well happy with signal and reception so far since the 800 rollout.  Now if we could only get sprint spark in hartford...

• Like 1

nm then lol, well happy with signal and reception so far since the 800 rollout.  Now if we could only get sprint spark in hartford...

Existing WiMax sites are already being converted to include Band 41 in the Hartford market.  Details exist in the Premier Sponsor section.

Robert

nothing yet...still pending...ive been wondering the same thing since thats the tower my address hits off of....i go anywhere else in meriden and service works good now and all the towers are upgraded but that one...makes no sense.

Thanks for the info. Hartford has a non test SID, but north of Hartford had been the testing one. Looks like they took the whole cluster north of Hartford down. I re flashed my PRL just to be sure I wasnt missing it, but, since it was the test SID before, hopefully it means they are going to turn it on permanently soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1