Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Yeah, you can switch it to use 3G / EVDO only to avoid the drain from all the tower switching/scanning... Bit of a hassle but better than taking such a massive battery life hit or not having data at all. I imagine wifi cuts in and out too as you move thru campus.

Yeah, you can switch it to use 3G / EVDO only to avoid the drain from all the tower switching/scanning... Bit of a hassle but better than taking such a massive battery life hit or not having data at all. I imagine wifi cuts in and out too as you move thru campus.

Not really, having wifi helps because there are a few repeaters around the campus with the same SSID so I'm connected in 95% of the areas I move through. I turn off celular data since wifi has given me the best battery life up until now.

Well if Wifi is that prevalent then yeah, it's always gonna yield better battery life than 3G/4G since there's no constant scanning on the phone's part for better signal or closer towers etc... Was just putting it out there since you said you were losing 50% of your battery in a matter of 4 hours, I imagine that's with wifi off?

Glad to see PR getting LTE up and running.

Just curious, are the Virgin Islands getting LTE as well?!? That would be wonderful! But if it's just NV 3G enhancements i'll be happy with that too. We need any upgrade right away here.

Glad to see PR getting LTE up and running.

Just curious, are the Virgin Islands getting LTE as well?!? That would be wonderful! But if it's just NV 3G enhancements i'll be happy with that too. We need any upgrade right away here.

Yes. USVI is getting LTE. They're working on it now.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Well if Wifi is that prevalent then yeah, it's always gonna yield better battery life than 3G/4G since there's no constant scanning on the phone's part for better signal or closer towers etc... Was just putting it out there since you said you were losing 50% of your battery in a matter of 4 hours, I imagine that's with wifi off?

My bad for the confusion, I meant that when work started I used to have data on all of the time then. I recently switched to just wifi and my battery is lasting up to 5pm under the same conditions. :) I can't wait for the rest of the NV sites to get LTE, I'm in love using Pandora in my car with zero interruptions.

I still can't believe PR got LTE ahead of other markets(I mean it because they didn't leave us as a 3rd round market) instead we are one of the first markets to be 100% complete :)

• Like 2

I still can't believe PR got LTE ahead of other markets(I mean it because they didn't leave us as a 3rd round market) instead we are one of the first markets to be 100% complete :)

Don't under sell Puerto Rico. Its an important market to all the carries if you take into account population density per tower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Don't under sell Puerto Rico. Its an important market to all the carries if you take into account population density per tower.

I know...but after 2 years I sort of got used to having crappy service and no hope for wimax(back then when I had an OG Evo).

Sprint had to do something since everyone had better service than them up until now that NV kicked in(well claro had edge and bad service in the metro area for a while lol) :)

Well, right by the T-Mobile building in Ave. Muñoz Rivera Hato Rey I had no data and my phone went roaming around lunchtime. Just looked at my data widget and for the first time I'm getting eHRPD over here so I'm hopeful that there was some progress today!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Just confirmed. the plaza rio hondo site in bayamon has WORKING LTE. :D

22-25mbps while standing outside of BestBuy right in front of it.

Yes. Its working on Río Hondo and some parts of Cataño. LTE is available close to the Buchannan toll and continue until Dorado.

With the sites complete to be honest, I have only few drops calls. Until today, I only have maybe one drop calls in weeks in the new coverage area. I agree that’s the network is a lot much better right now.

I have a friend that is always performing bandwidth test with his AT&T iPhone 5. And let me tell you that when I have 4g I beat him 99% of the times :rofl:. When I’m in 3g he beat me 105% of the time, :ninja: . Our theory is that AT&T network is very congestioned because in Puerto Rico they are the 1st company in Puerto Rico and have to many subscribers. But Sprint has less custumers on their network. Network is free for us!!! :D

Only for your Knowledge, Sprint is the 5th company in Puerto Rico. Is under OpenMobile. Order is 1) AT&T 2) Claro 3) T-mobile 4) Open Mobile 5) Sprint 6) Others prepaid companies. But don’t believe me for faith. That information comes from an independent study from a research company named Estudios Técnicos in San Juan.

Soon Sprint will have more customers, because their network is improving drastically and people like us is starting talking about that and the good quality of their 4g, the good plans and the awesome customer service. Non paid annoucement ha :tu:

• Like 1

Can you guys and gal's please tell me what speeds are you getting with your iPhone 5's in PR? I want to see if I have a deffective unit. With my Android i got speeds up to 39MB and with my iPhone the most I have gotten is 5mb. Please let me know.

I use both. The better test I have is with the Galaxy Note 2 30mb (Close to Candelaria in Toa Baja). The better test with iPhone was 28mb close to the Universidad Central de Bayamón and Drive In Plaza in Bayamón. My SpeedTest app also crash many times in iPhone when doing a high speed test.

But for the record. I think that because the Note has a separate antenna for the data gets connected to the 4g faster than iPhone. The iPhone need more time to switch from 3g to LTE, sometimes minutes. If you’re in a 3g area and drive to a LTE area the iPhone in all my test spend more time getting the LTE signal. The Note 2 is almost immediately. Is very fast getting the LTE.

Another good advantage of Android is that you can use voice and data as the same time. My advice, buy an Android when released the HTC one or the S4 or maybe the Note 2 (wonderful) and conserve your iPhone, go to the Sprint site and switch from time to time to do your test and not get bored of any. Don’t tell my wife, but I’m still thinking Android is beautiful and better. But remember I can sleep in the sofa just for tell you this.

i'm ok with the LTE speed on my house (2-4Mbps), but the 3G is on 1.5Mbps, so, with the updates of the NV and a lot of people are moving to the LTE signal, im fine with the 3G.

Puerto Rico have more population density than China and so many others countries.

Population Density: 1,163 density per sq mi/449 persons per sq km (2009 est.)

Puerto Rico's population density is among the world's highest - only Bangladesh, The Maldives, Barbados, Taiwan, South Korea and the city-states of Hong Kong and Singapore are more crowded. (http://www.topuertorico.org/people.shtml)

Has the rollout around San Juan stalled? Since we have not had a weekly update for a while I have no way of knowing if PR is still advancing. I am keeping an eye on the sponsors map and non of the towers in the San Juan area I care about are seeing any action.

Has the rollout around San Juan stalled? Since we have not had a weekly update for a while I have no way of knowing if PR is still advancing. I am keeping an eye on the sponsors map and non of the towers in the San Juan area I care about are seeing any action.

I am behind schedule. I have been on business trips. Really busy work schedule. Trying to catch up.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I am behind schedule. I have been on business trips. Really busy work schedule. Trying to catch up.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

No problem Robert, I'm sure it's a lot of work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robert's been posting the highlights of his daily updates in the NV Comments thread, and there's some PR updates recently

Yes. Its working on Río Hondo and some parts of Cataño. LTE is available close to the Buchannan toll and continue until Dorado.

With the sites complete to be honest, I have only few drops calls. Until today, I only have maybe one drop calls in weeks in the new coverage area. I agree that’s the network is a lot much better right now.

I have a friend that is always performing bandwidth test with his AT&T iPhone 5. And let me tell you that when I have 4g I beat him 99% of the times :rofl:. When I’m in 3g he beat me 105% of the time, :ninja: . Our theory is that AT&T network is very congestioned because in Puerto Rico they are the 1st company in Puerto Rico and have to many subscribers. But Sprint has less custumers on their network. Network is free for us!!! :D

Only for your Knowledge, Sprint is the 5th company in Puerto Rico. Is under OpenMobile. Order is 1) AT&T 2) Claro 3) T-mobile 4) Open Mobile 5) Sprint 6) Others prepaid companies. But don’t believe me for faith. That information comes from an independent study from a research company named Estudios Técnicos in San Juan.

Soon Sprint will have more customers, because their network is improving drastically and people like us is starting talking about that and the good quality of their 4g, the good plans and the awesome customer service. Non paid annoucement ha :tu:

Rumor has it that VZW bought open mobile. They're planning on coming back to PR I guess.

No problem Robert, I'm sure it's a lot of work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another way to check is at network.sprint.com

I type 00961 there every night and see the number of upgrades go up. Yesterday the number for that zip was 167 upgrades, today it's at 174 upgrades.

Rumor has it that VZW bought open mobile. They're planning on coming back to PR I guess.

That would be a pretty big endeavor, isn't Open mostly GSM at this point and/or renting AT&T's network?

Not that I'm complaining, if VZW builds out here it just means more roaming options for Sprint. :P

That would be a pretty big endeavor, isn't Open mostly GSM at this point and/or renting AT&T's network?

Not that I'm complaining, if VZW builds out here it just means more roaming options for Sprint. :P

Open is CDMA/LTE here. Their LTE network is solid.

Any source for that rumor? I've check Verizon's financials and can't find any hint of such an acquisition. As a publicly traded company, they would have to disclose such a transaction if it were to occur.

Ahh, interesting, not sure what gave me the impression that they were GSM or operated like an MVNO...

It seems the rumor popped up on Tecnetico, anonymous source of course, and Open's executives have already publicly denied it. You know what they say tho, donde hay humo...

• Like 1

Any source for that rumor? I've check Verizon's financials and can't find any hint of such an acquisition. As a publicly traded company, they would have to disclose such a transaction if it were to occur.

Read it a while back here. http://www.tecnetico.com/42082/sin-confirmar-verizon-wireless-adquiere-a-open-mobile/

like I said its a rumor still. Maybe it will be official in the near future.

• Like 1