Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Hey I finally got it again. I believe that's 25 (as the bird flies) miles from me.

Could have been where you were holding your phone or where it was sitting where it lost 1900 which would trigger 800 to come in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

post-8934-0-73826000-1391285849_thumb.png

Edited by Ejwilliamson90
  • Like 1

I'm just curious if anyone else has gone from having LTE coverage back down to 1x. (I live in Worthington if that matters)

That area was just recently launched. Perhaps they are testing something. If it doesn't come back tomorrow, I would call it in.

I'm just curious if anyone else has gone from having LTE coverage back down to 1x. (I live in Worthington if that matters)

That area was just recently launched. Perhaps they are testing something. If it doesn't come back tomorrow, I would call it in.

Unfortunately, in unlaunched markets people have a hard time reporting non-functioning LTE sites. All they'll tell you in that Columbus hasn't launched LTE yet, so it's not available.

I know I could have put this in the LG thread but I was in Gahanna today when this happened so I figured I'd keep it local.  Can you get the G2 spark update without knowing it?  I mean, would it change your menu/icons enough to notice?

This morning near Gahanna high school I noticed I was on 4g but didn't have time to check out anything really as I was in a hurry.  So around lunch I'm driving around Hamilton and down Granville Rd and the 4g is still on.  I do not have it in LTE only mode anymore by the way.  Also I have the updated SCP but it still won't show me the tower location.  Anyway, what is weird is SCP was showing one of those 00F numbers for serving cell, which I think means it's b41???  But again, I never noticed an update to spark and it is not set in special mode.  So I turn on Sensorly going down Granville and the other weird thing is it is ticking off 4g pretty good, but it also is ticking off 3g at just about the same rate.  I know when I'm in LTE only mode I might get 5 to 10 clicks of 3g for several hundred 4g in Sensorly.  I thought cool, this must mean the phone works.  Sure enough phone and text worked great.  I guess I'm just rambling but thought it was odd as I never got an update but it appeared to be a b41 tower I was on and making calls and text with.

The easiest way to know if you have the ZVA update is by the constantly rotating Spark icon on your notification bar. It looks like a spinning sun. If you still have the normal "4G" icon, you don't have the update yet.

• Like 1

Also I have the updated SCP but it still won't show me the tower location. Anyway, what is weird is SCP was showing one of those 00F numbers for serving cell, which I think means it's b41???

SCP will not provide you the location of where you're receiving LTE from. It only provides the location that the site is broadcasting on 1x service.

The only identifiable information provided from LTE is PCI and/or GCI serving cells. We do have a list of known PCIs/GCIs in the Columbus. That list is provided to S4GRU sponsors. If you post a screenshot of the serving cell, we should be able to give you a general area of where it's coming from.

Band 25 and Band 41 broadcast very similar serving cells, so at this time, checking your LTE engineering screen during an active LTE data session is the only sure way to say what band you were connected to.

• Like 1

Um, coz, please check more info on the web before u post WRONG info and think u are a sprint expert because u are a sponsor, THANKS! Deleted in 20 seconds, just watch2

Bwahahaha. What incorrect information are you referring to sir?

Edit: I'm sorry, ma'am. No disrespect. Seriously.

Coz, lol, do u even have a g2, or are u just trying for hype? Check people, check!

I have a G2, chief. No address is provided about LTE towers. I think it is YOU who need to get your facts straight before you decide to lash out at someone who is trying to lead you the right way.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Coz, lol, do u even have a g2, or are u just trying for hype? Check people, check!

Oh, BTW, just in case you don't trust my word, you can check the Developer, Blue Line PC's website: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#locations or you can ask the man himself (mikejeep), since he's a frequent user here on S4GRU.com 

Hello all,

I have been visiting S4GRU for quite some time, and one of the most common issues I see popping up is confusion from users--especially when they first get 4G LTE devices and/or LTE service--regarding their signal strengths. For some reason, the signal bars on many devices do not display what most users expect them to display. It seems strange that we have to enter special dialer codes just to see what our LTE signal is!

With that in mind, I started creating an Android app from scratch. I had never created an app before, so it took a few months before it was ready for the public, but its time has come. Robert and a few others have been beta testing it for me since October, and I recently released it onto Google Play. Robert gave me the go-ahead to give it a mention here on S4GRU, so here goes..

It's called SignalCheck, and it is available on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Blue+Line+Computing

The "Lite" version is free; the "Pro" version has a small fee ($1.99) but includes a bunch of extras, including signal bars in the notification area, a widget, the ability to alert a user when they pick up an LTE or 800 SMR signal, one-button instant connection reset, the street address of the connected 1X site, and menu shortcuts to some screens that are usually only accessible with dialer codes. I intend to offer S4GRU Premier Sponsors special benefits in the near future, as soon as I figure out a feasible way to do that.

This is the first app I have ever developed, so I'd appreciate any and all feedback, both positive and negative. I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible regarding cellular technologies, as I didn't know much before I started this project. My goal is to make this app as accurate and useful as possible for all the "nerds" on here.. myself included!

I intend to continue squashing bugs as they are reported, and adding features as they are requested. As I learn more about Android programming and cellular technology, I'll improve things. Please let me know what you would like to see, and I'll do what I can.

Links:  Help / FAQ  |  Change Log  |  To-Do "Wish List"  |  SignalCheck on Google Play

-Mike

Here are some screen shots from a previous version.. there have been tweaks since this release, but this is basically what you get:

SignalCheck-2.0-main-168x300.png SignalCheck-2.0-menu-168x300.png SignalCheck-2.0-advanced-168x300.png SignalCheck-2.0-pulldown-168x300.png

• Like 1

...I do not have it in LTE only mode anymore by the way.  Also I have the updated SCP but it still won't show me the tower location.  Anyway, what is weird is SCP was showing one of those 00F numbers for serving cell, which I think means it's b41???

You were on Band 41 which is sometimes possible without the spark update: Band 41 LTE has not been officially launched in Columbus yet, but they do occasionally turn it on for all g2 and other triband phones users to see (provided the bands are enabled). No spark update is required.  Most of the time band 41 will not be visible to triband phones in regular mode and all bands enabled.  This Sprint network behavior will continue even with the spark update.  Once Columbus is officially announced as a Spark City by Sprint, all band 41, 25, and possibly even band 26 sites will be available to all triband phones.  Then the spark update will be quite useful.

Triband phones like the g2 do not display address info for LTE.  They do display this for 3G from information provided by the tower, but this is not always accurate.  Older LTE phones appear to match LTE with the 3G information because they keep both Sprint signals up, which uses more battery power. The g2 and other tribands switch from one Sprint signal to the other to save on battery.

The information COZisBack provided on Cell locations was accurate.  His description of how to determine the band from the engineering screen is also universally applicable (00F only applies to Band 41 in Columbus).

Please remember that we are all volunteers.  We do this for our own joint (community) benefit.  Trying new technology can be frustrating at times.  Generally speaking, I have found that the golden rule works best: treat others as you would like to be treated.

• Like 6

Um, coz, please check more info on the web before u post WRONG info and think u are a sprint expert because u are a sponsor, THANKS! Deleted in 20 seconds, just watch2

You're wrong. LTE sites do not broadcast their location. Not on Sprint or any other wireless provider on the planet. It is not part of the protocol.

-Mike

• Like 3

Shoveled one person out of the street and back onto her driveway.  I will post some items on the sponsor forum while we wait for our plow...

Shoveled one person out of the street and back onto her driveway.  I will post some items on the sponsor forum while we wait for our plow...

We never even get a plow. I think the last one we got was a few years ago after a big storm, but that was several days after the other roads had been cleared.

We never even get a plow. I think the last one we got was a few years ago after a big storm, but that was several days after the other roads had been cleared.

http://publicservice.columbus.gov/snow/

That's why.

Knowledgeable guy at Sprint said Lancaster would have LTE in 2 to 3 weeks. I told him a guy working on the tower said 3-4 days 3 weeks ago. He said take it to the bank... 2-3 weeks in Lancaster.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

• Like 1