Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Here is a screen shot being connected to this tower. On my post above with the screen shots the info for this tower are on the right. Base station 1969.

On a jailbroken IOS device you can use signal cell data (an app off of cydia) to see the tower info you are connected to and also the info of the towers around you. If you notice in the screenshots it says current cell and the same app shows the map which are the other screen shots.

I will modify the above post so the pics go with each other.

Ok it wont let me edit.

the left and center screen shot go together

The right screen shot and this one go together, hope this makes sense

post-33799-0-43563800-1391133850_thumb.png

Edited by smallheadz

Here is a screen shot being connected to this tower. On my post above with the screen shots the info for this tower are on the right. Base station 1969.

On a jailbroken IOS device you can use signal cell data (an app off of cydia) to see the tower info you are connected to and also the info of the towers around you. If you notice in the screenshots it says current cell and the same app shows the map which are the other screen shots.

I will modify the above post so the pics go with each other.

Ok it wont let me edit.

the left and center screen shot go together

The right screen shot and this one go together, hope this makes sense

Here's what I can tell you, neither of those locations has a sprint tower let alone any tower. I did some looking from Google Earth. Here's what I do know, the tracking apps available on the iPhone are pretty inaccurate on pulling tower locations from the geocache servers. My son had one that planted two towers near our house where there was nothing but trees. The app tries to triangulate a tower location. It's the nature of the beast. The blue dot being your location, I know there is a tower within 2-3 miles from you and it is an upgraded tower with 3G/800/LTE. Your location could be in a blind spot for that tower and your phone could be sticking to one of two other towers considerably farther away. One being north of South Bloomfield and the other along 22 between Winchester Southern and Amanda. I do know exactly where those towers are but because this is the non-sponsor forum I cannot divulge that information and have to be intentionally vague. To complicate things your blue dot is in a buffer zone between upgraded and legacy sites. This has been discussed ad nauseum so all I will say is that in the 5ish mile buffer zone you will experience problems with data, messaging and dropped calls. A little more info, being that you are recently noticing changes in service it is very possible one of two things is going on. The first is that there could be testing going on in that area while the engineers start-up new hardware and perform testing. This can sometimes cause problems. The second is that with the impending cluster launch (maybe more than one cluster) that the network is all squirrelly because of the new sites coming on-line waiting to be launched. Usually the entire area just acts abnormal for about 24-48 hours around a launch. 

Now the pitch! Welcome on board, glad to see another person on the forum. Would you consider making a donation to the site? I don't remember the minimum amount but I know a nice $25 donation would be greatly appreciated. You will get access to the sponsor side and there's mind blowing data there for those who are nerdy enough. For a $100 donation you will get access to the Premiere forum and let's just say it got real exciting over the past few weeks there.

• Like 3

New LTE Accepted yesterday

• Butler
  • Harlem Township
  • Kenton
  • Marysville
  • Pickerington x2
  • Waverly
  • Westerville x2
  • Zanesville

Haven't kept up on this thread for a while, but sensorly has shown 256, tussing area with lte for like a month now but I was not able to connect to it. I'm think it was being tested and someone caught it and logged it. These towers that have been excepted in your post, what is the likely timeline until they are actually active?

Haven't kept up on this thread for a while, but sensorly has shown 256, tussing area with lte for like a month now but I was not able to connect to it. I'm think it was being tested and someone caught it and logged it. These towers that have been excepted in your post, what is the likely timeline until they are actually active?

What you're seeing is LTE recorded on Sprint's LTE 2600 aka Band 41. Unless you have a Tri-band with the Spark update or forced to LTE only, you're not going to be able to connect.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

The sites are active when they are posted.  Typically there is a one day delay between when they are turned on and when we get the acceptance report.  I.E.  The sites listed should all be broadcasting NV.  As Coz said above, Reynoldsburg area is B41 for now...

So I won't be able to connect yet with my nexus 5 or my girlfriends HTC One?

Thank you for the response btw.

Correct, no dice on the N5 or the HTC One.  Keep in mind the HTC One will not be able to connect to B41 altogether.  While the Nexus 5 will be able to, just needs to get the official Sprint Spark update.  Which, unfortunately noone has a good understanding of when that is going to happen.  We are thinking 1st quarter of this year.  The LG G2 just received its update earlier this week and we are thinking it should be "soon" after that we receive it for the LG N5.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

Correct, no dice on the N5 or the HTC One.  Keep in mind the HTC One will not be able to connect to B41 altogether.  While the Nexus 5 will be able to, just needs to get the official Sprint Spark update.  Which, unfortunately noone has a good understanding of when that is going to happen.  We are thinking 1st quarter of this year.  The LG G2 just received its update earlier this week and we are thinking it should be "soon" after that we receive it for the LG N5.

Let us know if you have any other questions.  (May want to change your phone information with just that and eliminate your phone number).

Oh, good call on the phone number, thanks. So will this tower ever broadcast a non b41 signal that my girlfriends One can access or my N5 without this Spark update? I guess I'm a bit miffed that sprint would roll out an even newer network that its older LTE phones can't use, before even rolling out the LTE network those devices were designed for, and never got to use. Seems as though a lot of people would be getting the shaft from Sprint. Here, buy this phone, we are building our LTE network. I know you don't have it yet, but buy this top teir phone and soon it will get LTE. Oh wait, just kidding, we are skipping that LTE and going with something else grrrrrr

• Like 1

Oh, good call on the phone number, thanks. So will this tower ever broadcast a non b41 signal that my girlfriends One can access or my N5 without this Spark update? I guess I'm a bit miffed that sprint would roll out an even newer network that its older LTE phones can't use, before even rolling out the LTE network those devices were designed for, and never got to use. Seems as though a lot of people would be getting the shaft from Sprint. Here, buy this phone, we are building our LTE network. I know you don't have it yet, but buy this top teir phone and soon it will get LTE. Oh wait, just kidding, we are skipping that LTE and going with something else grrrrrr

Unfortunately, the problem is lack of communication from Sprint.  If you were not on this website researching the information yourself you would be completely uneducated on the matter.

Having said that, here is what you need to know in a nutshell.  Sprint recently acquired Clearwire who had a pretty decent / large Wimax network in Columbus.  This Wimax network is being phased out and in turn will be converted to B41 LTE.  Concurrently, Sprint is rolling out Network Vision improvements that will add both 1900 Mhz LTE and 800 Mhz LTE (later down the road) to all existing Sprint towers.  As you can see, the two projects are NOT the same and therefore do not depend on each other.  From what we know they are not even being executed by the same teams at all.  Totally different project managers / contractors working on the Clear towers vs. the Sprint towers.  I know this may be more than what you were asking for, but it is the least I can do to explain the situation.

Reynoldsburg / the entire Columbus market is being upgraded to NV which will move all (read: 95% of the towers) to 4G LTE @ 1900 Mhz to start and later be updated to 800 Mhz LTE.  Also, all Clear towers are being upgraded to B41 or 2500 Mhz 4G LTE as well.  The NV towers are already being upgraded and if you make a small donation to this site you can gain access to that information.  Which includes full Google Maps with information on expected completion date / progress to date.  We do not have a ton of members in the Reynoldsburg area so that would be great to get you added so you can scope some towers by you to see if the work is completed.

The HTC One has access to only 1900 Mhz LTE while the N5 has access to 1900, 800 and 2500 Mhz LTE.

Keep the questions coming.

• Like 5

What was also not explained above but has been elsewhere is the Softbank merger. Softbank moved in on Sprint and basically said they're just playing catch-up. Sprint needs to rise above the competition therefore the infused Softbank money went into going forward with all the other new high speed tech. The plus here is that a lot of the infrastructure is coming in place so the Spark rollout will happen a lot faster. 

I'm totally ok with this. Why? Because by the time Spark is completely rolled out, new phones will be hitting the market Spark enabled which is way better than what happened last time with LTE phones hitting the market before LTE was deployed. This is the way it should be. Unfortunately it does rub the consumer the wrong way since I've had a LTE enabled phone for almost 2 years and barely any LTE. 

As for LTE at 256/Tussing, possibly from the Pickerington Longview site. It's detectable farther west than that on phones with worse radios.

• Like 2

Why is 1x so crappy? I need technical explanation. This site sure is better than going to a Sprint Store to get LTE explained. Sprint should train all there reps on the Network...not just the basics.

You're not providing any information about what's being crappy about 1x. Are you having issues with voice service? data service? SMS/MMS?

Unfortunately, the problem is lack of communication from Sprint.  If you were not on this website researching the information yourself you would be completely uneducated on the matter.

Having said that, here is what you need to know in a nutshell.  Sprint recently acquired Clearwire who had a pretty decent / large Wimax network in Columbus.  This Wimax network is being phased out and in turn will be converted to B41 LTE.  Concurrently, Sprint is rolling out Network Vision improvements that will add both 1900 Mhz LTE and 800 Mhz LTE (later down the road) to all existing Sprint towers.  As you can see, the two projects are NOT the same and therefore do not depend on each other.  From what we know they are not even being executed by the same teams at all.  Totally different project managers / contractors working on the Clear towers vs. the Sprint towers.  I know this may be more than what you were asking for, but it is the least I can do to explain the situation.

Reynoldsburg / the entire Columbus market is being upgraded to NV which will move all (read: 95% of the towers) to 4G LTE @ 1900 Mhz to start and later be updated to 800 Mhz LTE.  Also, all Clear towers are being upgraded to B41 or 2500 Mhz 4G LTE as well.  The NV towers are already being upgraded and if you make a small donation to this site you can gain access to that information.  Which includes full Google Maps with information on expected completion date / progress to date.  We do not have a ton of members in the Reynoldsburg area so that would be great to get you added so you can scope some towers by you to see if the work is completed.

The HTC One has access to only 1900 Mhz LTE while the N5 has access to 1900, 800 and 2500 Mhz LTE.

Keep the questions coming.

This is great, and explains completely, thank you!

• Like 1

When I'm in 1x I have problems with it all.

What area are you in when experiencing 1x service instead of 3G?

43227 and whitehall

You should be receiving 3G instead of 1x in those areas (not that that would be any better right now).

You're experiencing the issue that most of us inside 270 is experiencing, over capacity. These issues will not be resolved until the sites have been upgraded to Network Vision with sufficient backhaul from AT&T or TWC.

It's looking like March or April for Network Vision inside 270.

• Like 1

I was able to get my nexus 5 to connect to the b41 lte :) found a tutorial on xda on how to enable the bands.

Post some screenshots of a speed test / engineering screens!!!  I have a Nexus 5 and have been unable to connect to any B41 towers.  Where were you at?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I managed to get LTE on iphone5 today at marysville high school for a short period of time. If I can get it back I will speedtest it and get a screen shot. 3G seems much faster here as well. Compared to what I am use to.

• Like 2

I managed to get LTE on iphone5 today at marysville high school for a short period of time. If I can get it back I will speedtest it and get a screen shot. 3G seems much faster here as well. Compared to what I am use to.

All of Marysville has been upgraded to NV in some capacity.  There are quite a few towers that are LTE as well.  Any screenshots would be appreciated.

It jumped back to 1900 becore screenshot would come up. Odd id be picking that up when theres a tower a miles or less from me that I usually get great service on (crites rd circleville)

Edited by Ejwilliamson90

It jumped back to 1900 becore screenshot would come up. Odd id be picking that up when theres a tower a miles or less from me that I usually get great service on (crites rd circleville)

Could have been where you were holding your phone or where it was sitting where it lost 1900 which would trigger 800 to come in.