G-Nex owners...OTA update rolling out tomorrow. (7/26)

Crimson01

Galaxy Nexus owners with LTE coverage, does the handset display signal strength as RSSI or RSRP? The OTA update stands to switch from one metric to the other, but the article is unclear which metric is currently used.

AJ

I received the update at 4:34 AM. Try doing a phone dial to checkin.

+ The search bar at the top no longer states "Google" in it anymore.

Edited by nocturnal

That's interesting. Still no go. Says I'm up to date. What do you mean phone dial to check in? Like call someone. I've done that.

Dial on the phone pad : *#*#2432546#*#*

Tried to check in. Said successfully checked in but still no update. I guess just have to wait. Its not a major update anyway. What does check in do anyway and where does it check in?

It checks the server for updates. Usually it works, but these Android patches roll out in waves.

Well its day 2 of release and still non sign on my phone. If it was supposed to be jellybean I would have gone mad.

Haha, I would agree. This update doesn't do much for normal users. The only new thing I have noticed is switching from WiFi to 3G is a little bit faster, but not by much. Sprint TV still won't download because it's not compatible.

You can still try to get the update by stopping and clearing the google service frameworks in the App settings page, and dialing checkin. That's at least how I got some updates pushed to my HTC Sensation 4G when I had it.

Edited by nocturnal

If you still aren't getting the update, stop and clear the google service frameworks in Settings - Apps - All. Followed by pulling the battery for 10 minutes or so, restart it and see if you get the update. If not, try the dial code.

These updates are sent out in waves, sometimes you can pull them without being in the current wave.

- Nocturnal

Edited by nocturnal

Not really update related, but I finally tried out CM10 with a new kernel and I have been getting awesome battery life since. I did, however, change my screen timeout from 5 minutes to 30 seconds, but I am getting double+ battery life compared to before.

Screenshot_2012-07-31-20-27-53.png

Screenshot_2012-07-31-20-33-21.png

Only an hour and a half screen on time though...

Sent from JBToro on Forum Runner

Not really update related, but I finally tried out CM10 with a new kernel and I have been getting awesome battery life since. I did, however, change my screen timeout from 5 minutes to 30 seconds, but I am getting double+ battery life compared to before.

Only an hour and a half screen on time though...

Ha! I'll be the first to admit the Galaxy Nexus's battery is bad. With the screen off and not in use my 100% drops to 80% within 2 hours.... And it's idle...

- Nocturnal

Edited by nocturnal

I had great standby life with my GNex, about 2% an hour battery loss. My battery life was only fair while in use, but was great in standby.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Ha! I'll be the first to admit the Galaxy Nexus's battery is bad. With the screen off and not in use my 100% drops to 80% within 2 hours.... And it's idle...

- Nocturnal

I've noticed that it depends a lot on the ROM/Kernel that I am running. Some are tuned more for performance and some for battery life. I had good results with stock, then bad after an update, then good on several ROM/kernels and then horrible on a ROM/kernal, although I think the ROM I was running was getting buggy and causing battery drain. So far, I don't know if it is CM10 or the kernel, or combo, but it is great. I have the OEM extended battery though.

Yeah, the overall battery life when my gnex was stock was ok at best but with the current rom my battery life has more than doubled as well. Also, jelly bean really is pretty sweet, I knew there was a reason why I didn't sell my gnex.

I had great standby life with my GNex, about 2% an hour battery loss. My battery life was only fair while in use, but was great in standby.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Must be something wrong with my battery... I shouldn't be losing 20% every 2 hours in standby, it's crazy. I would love to get the extended battery but for some reason I don't want to get rid of my Sprint back plate.

Currently I have 83% and my screen hasn't be on since I charged it about two hours ago..

- Nocturnal

Edited by nocturnal

Must be something wrong with my battery... I shouldn't be losing 20% every 2 hours. I would love to get the extended battery but for some reason I don't want to get rid of my Sprint back plate.

- Nocturnal

It will fit with stock plate, there is just a small gap by the camera.

I will find my stock plate and take a picture

There is something funky. Mine will last days on standby

It will fit with stock plate, there is just a small gap by the camera.

I will find my stock plate and take a picture

There is something funky. Mine will last days on standby

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. Standby for 2 hours and I'm at 82%... I would love to take it to Sprint and ask for a new one, but I'm not sure what I'll get, and my previous visits haven't been that amazing.

- Nocturnal

Edited by nocturnal

- Nocturnal

What does it say is using the battery?

With a signal and not using the phone, the battery can last for days.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. Standby for 2 hours and I'm at 82%... I would love to take it to Sprint and ask for a new one, but I'm not sure what I'll get, and my previous visits haven't been that amazing.

- Nocturnal

I noticed that standby battery life was VERY dependent on signal with the GNEX. If I had strong signal, standby life was amazing. If I had 1 bar or less, forget about it.

How is your signal strength?