Nexus S 4G regains AOSP status

nels0300

This is cool, maybe the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is next? I got rid of my EVO for this phone so I had something to hold me over until LTE comes to Minneapolis. This phone could turn out to be the only "4G" phone on Sprint (for most people) with Jelly Bean.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/03/nexus-s-4g-regains-aosp-status/

• Like 1

Certainly good news for nexus s owners. Hopefully they are just being coy about the galaxy nexus. I was under the impression that the WiMax support or CDMA radio support were the largest hurdles. NFC? Are they kidding?

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

I recently bought a good esn Nexus S with a broken screen off ebay for $20. Bought a replacement screen for $40 that will be here Friday. Looking forward to checking out some AOSP goodness.

Sent from my LTEless Evo LTE using Tapatalk 2

I almost caved yesterday and got an S3, but something came up and I couldn't make it to the sprint store. After I heard this news, I think I'll hold onto the nexus S 4G. I was thinking about it, and you could make a case for the nexus S 4G being the best phone on the sprint network right now. It is the only Nexus phone with AOSP status with access to the more mature 4G network. Obviously this will change in a year or so, but RIGHT NOW, the Nexus S 4G is sitting pretty, and will be even prettier when Jelly Bean rolls out.

I almost caved yesterday and got an S3' date=' but something came up and I couldn't make it to the sprint store. After I heard this news, I think I'll hold onto the nexus S 4G. I was thinking about it, and you could make a case for the nexus S 4G being the best phone on the sprint network right now. It is the only Nexus phone with AOSP status with access to the more mature 4G network. Obviously this will change in a year or so, but RIGHT NOW, the Nexus S 4G is sitting pretty, and will be even prettier when Jelly Bean rolls out.[/quote']

Unless you classify HSPA+ as 4G (I don't) the Nexus S 4G is the only 4G phone with AOSP support. Disclaimer: I don't consider WiMax 4G either.

Unless you classify HSPA+ as 4G (I don't) the Nexus S 4G is the only 4G phone with AOSP support. Disclaimer: I don't consider WiMax 4G either.

I have a strong minded, engineering based perspective on the definition of 4G. It may be best we keep that Pandora's box closed.

AJ

• Like 2

I have a strong minded, engineering based perspective on the definition of 4G. It may be best we keep that Pandora's box closed.

AJ

Marketing... but what happens when they FINALLY achieve 4G speeds? Are they going to try to call it 5G?

Whether or not the Nexus S 4G is on a true "4G" network, it's on a faster network than they guy or gal next to me with the brand new EVO or Galaxy S3 here in Minneapolis and many other cities and now it'll have the newest operating system from google (not a cobbled together rom) before them too. Kinda cool for a two year old phone.

• Like 1

Have you had bad experiences with custom ROMs?..

I've never used a custom from for a few reasons, #1 the possibility of wrecking your phone, #2 voiding your warranty, and #3 it seems there is always something that doesn't work, no 4G, camera doesn't work, messaging doesn't work,etc.

I've never used a custom from for a few reasons, #1 the possibility of wrecking your phone, #2 voiding your warranty, and #3 it seems there is always something that doesn't work, no 4G, camera doesn't work, messaging doesn't work,etc.

I understand where you are coming from, but dismissing every single custom ROM for every single device as something "cobbled together" is what is dramatically limiting your choice of phones.

I understand where you are coming from, but dismissing every single custom ROM for every single device as something "cobbled together" is what is dramatically limiting your choice of phones.

. I know. I read up on it when I had my og evo because it ran so poorly after its last gingerbread update not playing nice with sense. I realized I didn't know what I was doing and I am too lazy to figure out which from would work 100%. Now that I have a nexus, I prefer stock android. The nexus s 4G has essentially the same specs as my og evo, but it runs so much better (although I miss the evo radio). I might still get a phone with a custom skin, but I'd prefer not to.

I've never used a custom from for a few reasons' date=' #1 the possibility of wrecking your phone, #2 voiding your warranty, and #3 it seems there is always something that doesn't work, no 4G, camera doesn't work, messaging doesn't work,etc.[/quote']

The jelly bean rom I am running on my gnex is perfect. Not one thing that doesn't work. I can understand why some people choose not to root/unlock/run custom rom but:

It is really rare to hard brick your phone unless you are trying to do crazy experimentation or don't follow developer instructions.

It is nearly impossible for the service center to prove that you rooted/rommed the phone and declare your warranty void.

Most ROMs with non-working items are in the pre-beta/beta stage. CM9 for example, is in the release candidate stage for most devices. Most bugs are gone at that point and all functions should be working. Manufacturers go through all these stages too and have to fix functions that aren't working. I will concede that there are some amateur devs out there that never get their rom out of beta stage because they either lack the time or knowledge to reverse engineer non-open source components like wimax.

Like I said though, I can completely understand people not wanting to mess with their OS. That said, I believe it is a great disservice to developers who spend countless hours working on ROMs with no incentive other than the small amount of donations and the thanks of the people who use the ROM to say that they are mostly junk. The development community keeps devices relevant long after the manufacturers have abandoned them.

I see the development community much like the S4GRU website. Any donations go back into the costs of running the website, and there are a lot of man hours being poured into the various things that the site provides (maps being the largest one) because Robert feels that sprint fans deserve to know about the latest news that sprints LTE rollout. Some information may be off, but you wouldn't dismiss the whole site because of a couple pieces of bad info. Right?

Again, this is not meant to be an attack of any kind, but just a PSA of sorts.

. I know. I read up on it when I had my og evo because it ran so poorly after its last gingerbread update not playing nice with sense. I realized I didn't know what I was doing and I am too lazy to figure out which from would work 100%. Now that I have a nexus, I prefer stock android. The nexus s 4G has essentially the same specs as my og evo, but it runs so much better (although I miss the evo radio). I might still get a phone with a custom skin, but I'd prefer not to.

After my experience with gaining S-OFF and flashing Sense ROMs on both Evo 3D and Evo 4G LTE, I would say an afternoon of reading XDA would be sufficient to brush up on all the terminology and best practices. Permabricking is extremely rare when following directions. Warranty is usually not an issue since you can always re-lock and flash a stock RUU. Most mature ROMs are actually at least as stable as stock while having better battery life and / or performance and much more customization.

The jelly bean rom I am running on my gnex is perfect. Not one thing that doesn't work. I can understand why some people choose not to root/unlock/run custom rom but:

It is really rare to hard brick your phone unless you are trying to do crazy experimentation or don't follow developer instructions.

It is nearly impossible for the service center to prove that you rooted/rommed the phone and declare your warranty void.

Most ROMs with non-working items are in the pre-beta/beta stage. CM9 for example, is in the release candidate stage for most devices. Most bugs are gone at that point and all functions should be working. Manufacturers go through all these stages too and have to fix functions that aren't working. I will concede that there are some amateur devs out there that never get their rom out of beta stage because they either lack the time or knowledge to reverse engineer non-open source components like wimax.

Like I said though, I can completely understand people not wanting to mess with their OS. That said, I believe it is a great disservice to developers who spend countless hours working on ROMs with no incentive other than the small amount of donations and the thanks of the people who use the ROM to say that they are mostly junk. The development community keeps devices relevant long after the manufacturers have abandoned them.

I see the development community much like the S4GRU website. Any donations go back into the costs of running the website, and there are a lot of man hours being poured into the various things that the site provides (maps being the largest one) because Robert feels that sprint fans deserve to know about the latest news that sprints LTE rollout. Some information may be off, but you wouldn't dismiss the whole site because of a couple pieces of bad info. Right?

Again, this is not meant to be an attack of any kind, but just a PSA of sorts.

Didn't mean to rip any developers. I guess what I mean is I'm not ROM savvy enough to be messing around with an expensive piece of equipment and I'm too lazy to learn. If it was as simple as plugging it in to my computer and dropping a few files in some folders, I could handle it, but from what I've read, there's more to it than that.....and there are always warnings about doing it at your own risk.

I'd love it if I could get a new S3 with completely stock ICS.

Didn't mean to rip any developers. I guess what I mean is I'm not ROM savvy enough to be messing around with an expensive piece of equipment and I'm too lazy to learn. If it was as simple as plugging it in to my computer and dropping a few files in some folders' date=' I could handle it, but from what I've read, there's more to it than that.....and there are always warnings about doing it at your own risk.

I'd love it if I could get a new S3 with completely stock ICS.[/quote']

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean that you were ripping developers. I just have a lot of respect for the service they provide.

• Like 1

Didn't mean to rip any developers. I guess what I mean is I'm not ROM savvy enough to be messing around with an expensive piece of equipment and I'm too lazy to learn. If it was as simple as plugging it in to my computer and dropping a few files in some folders, I could handle it, but from what I've read, there's more to it than that.....and there are always warnings about doing it at your own risk.

I'd love it if I could get a new S3 with completely stock ICS.

They always have to put that disclaimer, however, once you get a custom recovery on your device, flashing roms is simple and a fun way to see different things your device can do.