Sprint DC now works on 1x and roaming

Sprint released a software update for the DuraPlus and DuraCore yesterday that allows Direct Connect to work on 1x and roaming now. This will definitely help make the service much more useful than Nextel since it can utilize most if not all of the roaming networks that sprint can connect to like Verizon, US Cellular, old Alltel, etc.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/sanyo/blog/2012/06/13/kyocera-duracore-software-updates

1.101sp 6/13/2012

- Enable DC (Direct Connect) over 1x and on domestic roaming

- Notifications for invitations to Opt In to Team DC will not be silenced when

keytones are silenced

- "Chirp" when being contacted via DC or when you have the floor to talk, will

not be silenced when incoming call/ringer is silenced

- Missed DC call should not play tone

- Added display option to notify when user is available (for UFMI calls)

- Clearing DNS (Doman Name System or IP Address) cache should not impact

handset registration

- When going out of EVDO coverage, the phone should not appear to remain

in the call

• Like 5

Well all updates are released in different stages so it says 100% of devices will have the ability to receive the update within a few days. So it is still released as of 6/13. I wonder if they still need to turn on the ability for these devices to use DC over 1x and roaming but I'm assuming that is ready if they issued the software update.

Can anyone with a Sprint DC device test this out after they get their update?

This is good news. Now Sprint DC does not need to rely on 3G EVDO connection for access. With 800 MHz CDMA being deployed on the NV towers with RRU's at the top of the tower, it will perform even better than it did at 800 MHz iDEN.

The only problem right now is that there are not enough NV towers up with 800 Mhz CDMA to make this a reality and will have to settle for 1900 MHz CDMA coverage.

• Like 2

This is good news. Now Sprint DC does not need to rely on 3G EVDO connection for access. With 800 MHz CDMA being deployed on the NV towers with RRU's at the top of the tower, it will perform even better than it did at 800 MHz iDEN.

The only problem right now is that there are not enough NV towers up with 800 Mhz CDMA to make this a reality and will have to settle for 1900 MHz CDMA coverage.

And roaming on Verizon's holdings, correct?

And roaming on Verizon's holdings, correct?

Yes. At the very least ex-Alltel ones. In areas where Verizon has 850MHz CDMA, DC should have excellent coverage, above and beyond what Sprint has on its own.

Will the voice calls or DC calls transfer from Sprint to Roam to Sprint now?

Good question. I'm assuming voice calls will drop when going from Sprint to roaming because that's just the way CDMA works as it is transferring from Native to roaming. For DC calls, I would imagine if you weren't actively sending or receiving voice and the phone started roaming that there would be a small lag when receiving or initiating DC calls. Unless Sprint and Verizon and other roaming providers work together to provide seamless handoff, a call would definitely drop and that is probably how it will work because Sprint doesn't want to pay more roaming than they have to so it will suck to use the phone in spots where Sprint is weak and the phone holds onto it.

Good question. I'm assuming voice calls will drop when going from Sprint to roaming because that's just the way CDMA works as it is transferring from Native to roaming.

Yes. And that is not exclusive to CDMA; that is how wireless networks in general work.

AJ

Usually when I am roaming my call will stay roaming until I hang up as long as I stay within coverage of that roaming carrier of course.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yes, that is correct in the way it will work that if you're roaming and on a call, it will stay within that SID while on the call but as soon as you end the call, the phone will start searching for the native carrier again. But since Sprint's coverage isn't as elaborate or rural reaching as Verizon for example, when you start reaching the edge of Sprint's coverage, your call will likely drop and then your phone will start roaming and you can start a call knowing that you have a better chance of staying connected on the roaming network.

• 1 month later...

All the rugged phones on Sprint.com are showing out-of-stock. Are the radios in the Kyocera Dura-series phones NV-ready, or is it better to wait for LTE rugged phones?

Yes the Kyocera Dura-series phones are NV ready as in it contains the CDMA 800 and 1900 MHz bands. You'll be waiting a long time if you expect LTE rugged phones to come out any time soon. No carrier has even come out with a pure LTE device for voice and data yet.

All the rugged phones on Sprint.com are showing out-of-stock. Are the radios in the Kyocera Dura-series phones NV-ready, or is it better to wait for LTE rugged phones?

The DuraPlus and the Moto Admiral aren't out of stock. And an LTE rugged phone? I would say, probably not until next year.

The DuraPlus and the Moto Admiral aren't out of stock. And an LTE rugged phone? I would say, probably not until next year.

I meant rugged clamshell, thanks. Next year sounds better than not.

I meant rugged clamshell' date=' thanks. Next year sounds better than not.[/quote']

Sprint is working on building their LTE network and selling an all LTE phone would put too much strain on their small LTE footprint. But I'm sure they have prelim plans for phones like that already.

Sent from my defective LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner