Network Vision/LTE - Lower Central Valley Market (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia)

aelenes

That makes more sense, bjarabian. I guess I just got excited when I saw that our panels were getting exchanged. I noticed in the evenings on the 145, just south and north of Helm, I am starting to get a signal. I used to constantly roam in those areas. All in all, it is very exciting we are beginning to get this service upgrade here in the valley!

That makes more sense, bjarabian. I guess I just got excited when I saw that our panels were getting exchanged. I noticed in the evenings on the 145, just south and north of Helm, I am starting to get a signal. I used to constantly roam in those areas. All in all, it is very exciting we are beginning to get this service upgrade here in the valley!

Yea the "signal bloom" changed after they placed the new hardware.  Where I live (between Biola and Kerman) we are getting the worst service ever because of the new alignment.  We are now roaming constantly.  Luckily the 800mhz will have a bigger throw distance and everything should work peachy when the new hardware is actually lit up.  But until then I hope Sprint don't mind paying the roaming charges!   :lol:

Yea the "signal bloom" changed after they placed the new hardware. Where I live (between Biola and Kerman) we are getting the worst service ever because of the new alignment. We are now roaming constantly. Luckily the 800mhz will have a bigger throw distance and everything should work peachy when the new hardware is actually lit up. But until then I hope Sprint don't mind paying the roaming charges! :lol:

I spoke with a customer service rep and I told them about being affected by the update with slow data speeds and they said they would make note of it. I have no idea if that will change anything but we will see. I guess we all we have left to do is wait for the upgrade to finish. Great reporting as always bjarabian! Thanks!

Edited by bm92708

Getting the worst Speed here again in Bakersfield & getting told they will look into it. [They] won't give enough of the answers I am looking for so now all they enjoy giving me is discounts to help witht the slow speeds. hope someone has better news. on when I have been with Sprint for 7 years & the internet has never been any better now matter what phone I had unless I root the phone to tweak it myself then I which [would get my speeds]  almost get up to 2mps

Edited by lilotimz
  • Like 1

WOW! Really wanting the LTE here in Fresno! LOL! That is incredible! (it's very, very bad here most of the time). Has been consistently getting up to 1.0 mbs more so recently but still times of spasticity and the occasional stunning 1x. 

Pulled from the UCV market thread post by lilotimz over the weekend. I believe this explains what's going on with Tribands....Tim, correct me if I'm wrong.

Alright so here's what's been discovered in the past day. New triband phones such as the LG G2 and Nexus 5 (and presumably all Spark - triband devices) have been having trouble connecting to LTE in certain places while working fine in others. Some folks found some documents sent out to Sprint reps and have posted it and I've quoted it. 

As I mentioned earlier, I'm cross-posting this here as well since it is directly related to the G2 currently...

Sprint eCSFB Gap Issue Legal Approved Talking Points:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)
  • Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.
  • Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.
Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)
  • Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.
  • Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.
Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)
  • CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.
    • eCSFB Benefits:
      • With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.
      • eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.
eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:
  • Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.
  • All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.
  • eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.
4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:
  • Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
  • Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.
LTE devices – Customer Experience
  • When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.
    • Existing Devices – No Impact
    • eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device
Non-Launched Markets
  • No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.
Launched Markets
  • Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.
Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets
  • When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.
  • Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.
Acronyms
  • CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)
  • eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)
  • SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously
  • Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision
  • Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.
  • ERC - Ericsson
  • ALU – Alcatel Lucent
  • STA - Samsung
  • NV – Network Vision
  • OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)
  • Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service
  • 1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.
  • 800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.
  • 2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users.

And, of course, there's Robert's write up on it. Smart guy, that one.

• Like 1

Thats just what Im concerned about, that any finished towers will be held until theyre all good to go in 2014.

I'd hope not I mean it seems as if sprint has been about turning on as many LTE sites as possible to attract new customers , hence the reason they turn on sites even when the full town/city isn't completed. But I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Hopefully we're in the position where they will turn it on and then sort out the triband if there's a problem. I definitely take it that it might be a long while before we get the announcement that we are an LTE market though ( at least here in Fresno). Sounds like a mess!

Delaying things so that all can come up at once is a pretty good idea. I know it may be painful for current 3G customers, but I really do think that Sprint should consider this in all markets. 

Am I correct in the interpretation that Fresno may be delayed so everything can be brought up at once?

Depends on what you mean by delayed. There is no delay in getting equipment installed, sites are still be upgraded as fast as possible.

What has changed is that sites are not going online until whole clusters are ready. BUT. This cluster method means that LTE will work for all devices, including tri-band. So, yes it may take longer for that first blip of LTE, but it won't be a site here a site there, it will be a bunch at once.

And it wasn't so much of a screw-up as much as it was things are behind schedule, as is well noted throughout the forum.

Depends on what you mean by delayed. There is no delay in getting equipment installed, sites are still be upgraded as fast as possible.

What has changed is that sites are not going online until whole clusters are ready. BUT. This cluster method means that LTE will work for all devices, including tri-band. So, yes it may take longer for that first blip of LTE, but it won't be a site here a site there, it will be a bunch at once.

And it wasn't so much of a screw-up as much as it was things are behind schedule, as is well noted throughout the forum.

Yeah thats what I mean. We wont be getting random towers popping up.

I was in Universal City this past weekend and although I had 4G on my Galaxy Note 2, the speeds were horrible.  I hope that it was just over saturation on the towers

The fastest I got was 8.19 down and 4.20 up, the average was around 2 up and 1 down

I was in Universal City this past weekend and although I had 4G on my Galaxy Note 2, the speeds were horrible.  I hope that it was just over saturation on the towers

The fastest I got was 8.19 down and 4.20 up, the average was around 2 up and 1 down

Yes, that's lousy for LTE but really good data speeds for Sprint in general. LOL!

Jusy drove past this intersection again (Sunday @ 6:15 PM) and they are still out there working. Highly unusual- they have been up to something all weekend and seem to be in a huge hurry to get something done. Signal has been on all weekend and haven't noticed anything unusual with it.