Evo 4G LTE or Galaxy Nexus

stitch1007

Ok, guys the time is finally here. I am up for an upgrade on Friday. I have watched all the reviews, I know all the specs but I still can not decide between these two phones.

I have wanted the Nexus since it was announced. On the flip side I had a bad experience with Samsung before that lead me to the OG Evo I have and enjoy now. I know the specs are overall better on the Evo LTE. However the current OS is built around the Nexus so the day to day experience of the lower specs shouldn't hold it back all that much. Plus the Nexus will get upgraded faster. Maybe not as fast as the GSM model but still faster then the Evo but i digress.

HTC gets the win in CPU, camera, build minerals, SD card slot, and battery size.

Nexus wins in OS/updates, built in storage, on screen nav buttons, price, and removable battery.

I am sure I am not the only Sprint customer asking these same questions.

HTC Evo LTE is a no contest winner among those two. The only other alternative is waiting for Samsung Galaxy S3 if it appeals to you more for some reason. OS updates are irrelevant, Evo has already been rooted and custom recoveries / ROMs are available.

• Like 1

I was in a similar situation, except when my upgrade was ready, the GNex was out, and the Evolte was about be available for pre-order.

I opted to pre-order the Evolte based on the hardware advances and capabilities, like HD Voice.

I have both.

I HIGHLY recommend picking the EVO 4G LTE over the Galaxy Nexus.

Better battery life, better display, better camera, better reception/antenna performance.

I personally can't stand the radio performance on the Galaxy Nexus (and I've swapped phones at the sprint store and everything).

• Like 3

Thanks guys,

I think I was just getting cold feet due to having the original evo for so long. I have played with the One X and it is better in just about every way. Plus who doesn't love a kickstand?

The final blow was a small oversight on my part. The headphone jake on the GNexus is on the bottom of the phone. I sit my phone on a stand on my desk at work so I can use gTalk and the web while I also listen to music. I pretty much use my phone like a second computer at work. I think the Nexus would have driven me crazy. I already get annoyed when I to charge my Evo now. So I think having the usb on the side of the phone might actually workout quite good for me.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Thanks guys,

I think I was just getting cold feet due to having the original evo for so long. I have played with the One X and it is better in just about every way. Plus who doesn't love a kickstand?

The final blow was a small oversight on my part. The headphone jake on the GNexus is on the bottom of the phone. I sit my phone on a stand on my desk at work so I can use gTalk and the web while I also listen to music. I pretty much use my phone like a second computer at work. I think the Nexus would have driven me crazy. I already get annoyed when I to charge my Evo now. So I think having the usb on the side of the phone might actually workout quite good for me.

Can't wait for Saturday!

yeah, the only thing that I think you would say is more subjective is the display. SAMOLED and "Infinity" display are just two different animals.

I think moving forward the GS3 vs. the LTEVO will come down to personal preference on the display and the need/desire for removable battery.

I really dislike the galaxy nexus. It is absolutely frustrating all of the data issues I've had. I've never had a phone that has just been so full of bugs. That's my biggest grip followed by battery life.

yeah, the only thing that I think you would say is more subjective is the display. SAMOLED and "Infinity" display are just two different animals.

I think moving forward the GS3 vs. the LTEVO will come down to personal preference on the display and the need/desire for removable battery.

I really dislike the galaxy nexus. It is absolutely frustrating all of the data issues I've had. I've never had a phone that has just been so full of bugs. That's my biggest grip followed by battery life.

Well I already owned my gnex and of course I picked up my evolte this morning and honestly the screen on it is absolutely amazing and this is coming from someone who thought the screen on the gnex was amazing(and it still is). The gnex wins hands down as far as blacks goes but when you put them side by side that pentile layout is pretty obvious and really begin to appreciate the screen on the evo better.

• Like 2

Well guess who just got home from picking up an LTEvo? (As the cool kids call it) It's so thin and light. I think I am going to order a case for it. Its kinda awkward to hold just because it's so different from what I am used to. Give me a week and I'll be fine. Im just use to the weight and feel of the OG Evo still. Other then that It seems awesome. I have owned it less then an hour and right now it's charging so I can't give a good opinion yet. But I am super excited to play with it.

We did try out the camera and I sent a few text. Camera = WOW! burst mode it even better in person then what I had seen in the reviews. The stock keyboard will probably be replaced once it's done charging. I may go on a drive later to see if I can connect to any of the "live" LTE towers around here.

• Like 2

Well guess who just got home from picking up an LTEvo? (As the cool kids call it) It's so thin and light. I think I am going to order a case for it. Its kinda awkward to hold just because it's so different from what I am used to. Give me a week and I'll be fine. Im just use to the weight and feel of the OG Evo still. Other then that It seems awesome. I have owned it less then an hour and right now it's charging so I can't give a good opinion yet. But I am super excited to play with it.

We did try out the camera and I sent a few text. Camera = WOW! burst mode it even better in person then what I had seen in the reviews. The stock keyboard will probably be replaced once it's done charging. I may go on a drive later to see if I can connect to any of the "live" LTE towers around here.

Yeah, its almost to0 thin. I ordered a tpu case for $5 on ebay the other day and it gives that little extra thickness to where it feels perfect in my hands now.

• Like 1

I agree about the thinness of the EVO LTE. I finally got to handle it in the store today and was really surprised by how thin and light it was, even knowing that it would be quite a bit thinner and lighter than my OG EVO going in. Of course, this made me say "Why didn't you put in a removable battery!?" They could easily have sacrificed some girth and still had a wonderfully thin phone.

I almost bought the phone on the spot, it really is a sharp device. Love it or hate it, Sense does add personality and some functionality to the phone. Either way I won't let Sense or it's multitask aggression guide my decision, since I am sure I will be able to get a pure ICS ROM at any time if I don't like it.

Only thing holding me back now is determining when I will get LTE in my greater boston area. I still occasionally get Wimax driving around with my old Evo and 3G is still abysmal. I really need to see if these NV updates will pan out in my area for 3G as well as LTE.

I also had this dilemma since I found out my upgrade was available as of two days ago. As much as I love the Galaxy Nexus, it's specs are too outdated to be worth signing a two year contract for. If I could swap out my 3D for it I would in a heartbeat, but not for another contract. My friend just got one on Verizon and I'm super jealous haha.

As far as the Evo LTE, I'll be passing on that as well. I went to play around with one yesterday at the Sprint store. It was very fast, especially in browser performance but my 3D is still fast enough to handle anything I throw at it really (thanks to MeanROM ICS). I hate the looks though. If it looked like the One X, I wouldn't be able to resist it. But it's got like 5 different designs slammed together into one, and just makes it look like a clusterfuck. The Nexus has a very simple design but that's what makes it so beautiful. The entire front is just solid black, you can't even tell where the screen ends until you turn it on. It's also way too light for my taste, although I guess that's the direction all new phones are moving in and I'll have to get used to that lol.

I think I'm ready to move away from HTC though. Having Sense on my past two phones, I've decided that stock android is what I want. It's faster, better organized, the UI is better, and updates are more timely. HTC took ages to push gingerbread to the Evo 4G and the 3D has yet to recieve ICS (officially). AOSP roms are normally pretty buggy and sometimes have performance issues (at least that was the case on the Evo 4G, it took a very long time to make CM7 daily usable and it still had bugs), and CM9 is nowhere even close to being usable on the Evo 3D.

So I'm waiting for the next big thing. Preferably a Nexus device, that has the qualcomm quad core S4 processor with the adreno 320 GPU. Or a quad core exynos that has LTE but I'm doubtful that will happen. My 3D is still very fast and I just don't think there's anything else out right now worth locking myself into another two year contract for.

• Like 1

You know it ships with Swype buried inside, right?

• Like 1

yeah, I found it when I went to change it to an ICS keyboard. I'm use to this one from my old phone. I've tried swype a few times in the past but couldn't ever get comfortable with it. But thanks for pointing it out had I not changed the stock keyboard I wouldn't have known it was available.

Does anyone know the class of the SD card that comes with it?

It has 16gb built in, it doesn't come with an sd card, thats extra.