Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

I'm noticing a severe lack of 3G in large pockets of my commute on Highway 40 and Lindbergh. I'll either go extended or hop on Edge for a while before finding another 3G signal. It happened again today on 270... I hope this is the storm before the calm. :)

Technically that's 1X, not EDGE.

Technically that's 1X, not EDGE.

Thank you for the clarification... the smallish circle always meant Edge on AT&T when I was with them...

I hope Sprint does the Metro East sites first. Why? Those sites were places that never got WiMax. They should do all the Illinois sites right now. Basically go from Marissa and Breese and work west to the WiMax area.

i am new here, and i cant contribute a ton as i do not know a whole lot when it comes to this stuff, but i am anxiously awaiting lte. I live in wentzville, mo. i can confirm that the tower at +38° 48' 31.80", -90° 49' 38.66" has at had some type of upgrade. i have not seen any signs of lte, but i usually get between 1.5 and 2.6mbps down and about .8 up. that is the best 3g speeds i have seen from sprint. i have been getting these speeds for quite a while; i want to say since last june when i got my LTEvo. i do not know if it got upgraded backhaul or it was NV, but its better than any other sprint tower ive connected to (that i can remember). also, yesterday i noticed for the first time that i was connected to eHRPD instead of the usual EVDO r.A. I know for a fact that it was only EVDO on 3/17/13. then on the 18th (yesterday) it had changed to eHRPD. i also noticed that two other towers that i connected to were also eHRPD. i know eHRPD does not really mean a whole lot since it is just a software update, but its better than nothing. it means that these towers are being thought about.

btw, i used an app called netmonitor to tell me what tower i was on. i know some of you may disagree with that working right, but its good enough for me for now.

i will try to see if i can get to the tower at +38° 48' 31.80", -90° 49' 38.66" to get some pics, but no promises.

I have been losing 3G sporadically in downtown St. Louis, corner of Broadway and Washington

Ditto for me at Olive and Tucker, fingers crossed! :huh:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

i also want to add that i have been noticing times when 3g is out for a few minutes. but it always comes back within a few minutes. this could be just me and my phone acting up, but i am not sure. i have been trying to confirm with others in my area, but i have not seen it happen for a while. it started about three weeks ago and continued for about 1-2 weeks. i have not noticed it since. again, this may be nothing and just be an issue with my phone and/or custom rom (meanbean by mikeyxda). just thought i would put it out there since others were reporting 3g outings as well. hopefully my information will help someone.

i am new here, and i cant contribute a ton as i do not know a whole lot when it comes to this stuff, but i am anxiously awaiting lte. I live in wentzville, mo. i can confirm that the tower at +38° 48' 31.80", -90° 49' 38.66" has at had some type of upgrade. i have not seen any signs of lte, but i usually get between 1.5 and 2.6mbps down and about .8 up. that is the best 3g speeds i have seen from sprint. i have been getting these speeds for quite a while; i want to say since last june when i got my LTEvo. i do not know if it got upgraded backhaul or it was NV, but its better than any other sprint tower ive connected to (that i can remember). also, yesterday i noticed for the first time that i was connected to eHRPD instead of the usual EVDO r.A. I know for a fact that it was only EVDO on 3/17/13. then on the 18th (yesterday) it had changed to eHRPD. i also noticed that two other towers that i connected to were also eHRPD. i know eHRPD does not really mean a whole lot since it is just a software update, but its better than nothing. it means that these towers are being thought about.

btw, i used an app called netmonitor to tell me what tower i was on. i know some of you may disagree with that working right, but its good enough for me for now.

i will try to see if i can get to the tower at +38° 48' 31.80", -90° 49' 38.66" to get some pics, but no promises.

You have a cross street near there? I looked at a map and didn't see any towers right there. I work in Cottleville and might run over there sometime after work. Did you happen to notice if you ping times improved to 120ms or better?

You have a cross street near there? I looked at a map and didn't see any towers right there. I work in Cottleville and might run over there sometime after work.

i looked on the map too and it didnt look like there was one there, but according to netmonitor that is where it is. so far the app has been accurate. but it does not look like it from the map. i have seen some towers that are disguised as trees, and there are some trees at that location, so that might be whats up. but i am not sure. i will try to go by tomorrow, but again, no promises.

also, according to netmonitor, it says the tower is 15314. i do not know if that means anything to you or not, though.

Edit: i usually have sub-100ms pings. i have gotten as low as 75ms on that tower.

Edited by chaz393

sounds good. if anyone can tell me how to get the cell tower id, i can get that and post back here when i do. but from a quick search, i have no idea how :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

EDIT:

according to antennasearch.com, the tower i was referring to is actually located at 38.809574,-90.830098, which makes sense because on the map, you can actually see the tower. i do not see the fenced in area, but it is located by some centurylink buildings (an isp). so the actual hardware for the tower may be inside, making it very difficult to tell if any work is being done to the tower. the only apparent signs would be the panels on the tower itself.

Edited by chaz393

i looked on the map too and it didnt look like there was one there, but according to netmonitor that is where it is. so far the app has been accurate. but it does not look like it from the map. i have seen some towers that are disguised as trees, and there are some trees at that location, so that might be whats up. but i am not sure. i will try to go by tomorrow, but again, no promises.

also, according to netmonitor, it says the tower is 15314. i do not know if that means anything to you or not, though.

Edit: i usually have sub-100ms pings. i have gotten as low as 75ms on that tower.

Netmonitor is VERY hit and miss as to whether or not it points you in the right direction tower wise. Many markets, especially here in the midwest do not broadcast the location of the tower, rather coordinates somewhere withing the coverage area of each sector of the tower. I wouldn't recommend Netmonitor to anyone trying to find tower locations. The only way to know for sure is to go up to the tower and see if it's labeled with Sprint somewhere, or become a sponsor and look at the maps we have that show the location of all the towers in the country.

Netmonitor is VERY hit and miss as to whether or not it points you in the right direction tower wise. Many markets, especially here in the midwest do not broadcast the location of the tower, rather coordinates somewhere withing the coverage area of each sector of the tower. I wouldn't recommend Netmonitor to anyone trying to find tower locations. The only way to know for sure is to go up to the tower and see if it's labeled with Sprint somewhere, or become a sponsor and look at the maps we have that show the location of all the towers in the country.

ok, i plan on trying to go to the tower, but ill also try to donate and become a sponsor. due to reasons i prefer not to explain, i am may not be able to donate, though. but we'll see. id love to support the site, though. its a wonderful website. but back on topic, ill try to go to the tower tomorrow and see what i find. ill post back here as soon as i do, if i am able to.

ok, so i apologize for this being a double post, but i cannot edit my last post to add this information. i am going to go to the tower at 38.809574,-90.830098 and take some pictures. i have not donated (yet) so i do not know for sure that this is even a sprint tower, so if anyone who has donated can confirm that this is a sprint tower before i leave, that would be very much appreciated. that way i do not waste time that i could be spending at another tower getting pics of an actual sprint tower.

it turns out i will not be able to go tonight, but i will be able to go tomorrow....as long as complications to not come up like they did today. sorry!

Thanks for running over there and checking it out whenever you can.

no problem. i'd love to help out in any way i can. sorry for asking so many questions on this thread, but i cannot seem to find the answers by running a search. anyway, is there any way to tell a difference between the lte panels and the old cdma panels? the same thing goes for the base equipment/cabinets. i would just like to know what exactly it is that i am looking for when i go look at the towers tomorrow. i did find a thread where i found out how to tell if the tower is sprints from the panels, but i do not know the difference between the 3g/1x equipment and lte equipment.

Edit: i will probably be in Branson sometime this next week, so i will try to get some pics of towers around there as well. i *may* even be able to get some pics of Springfield towers.

no problem. i'd love to help out in any way i can. sorry for asking so many questions on this thread, but i cannot seem to find the answers by running a search. anyway, is there any way to tell a difference between the lte panels and the old cdma panels? the same thing goes for the base equipment/cabinets. i would just like to know what exactly it is that i am looking for when i go look at the towers tomorrow. i did find a thread where i found out how to tell if the tower is sprints from the panels, but i do not know the difference between the 3g/1x equipment and lte equipment.

Edit: i will probably be in Branson sometime this next week, so i will try to get some pics of towers around there as well. i *may* even be able to get some pics of Springfield towers.

Don't worry too much about the Springfield towers, I've got those covered :P

As for spotting LTE panels, there is a great thread on here detailing the different panels to expect. I'll go get the link.

Here you go: http://s4gru.com/ind...ericsson-style/

FYI, the new panels carry 1x/EVDO/LTE all on the same panel. Different antennas inside under the covering for the different signals. The old 1x/EVDO panels will be removed down the line once the NV network is up and running.

Don't worry too much about the Springfield towers, I've got those covered :P

As for spotting LTE panels, there is a great thread on here detailing the different panels to expect. I'll go get the link.

Here you go: http://s4gru.com/ind...ericsson-style/

FYI, the new panels carry 1x/EVDO/LTE all on the same panel. Different antennas inside under the covering for the different signals. The old 1x/EVDO panels will be removed down the line once the NV network is up and running.

awesome! thanks! ill make sure to note what i see as well as take as many pics as possible tomorrow and (hopefully) in branson next week.

i just went by the tower and took some pics. i am going to a second one now. i will upload the pics when i get back as well as note some interesting things that i saw.

Edit:

ok, i took a ton of pics, and they are at 12.4mp, so it will take some time to upload them. i am not home right now, so i will upload them when i get home. i will also put them in a zip file since there are so many of them.

first tower-38.80278092219798, -90.81110299260706

i noticed it had a decent amount of equipment inside the fence. i tried to get as many pics as possible, but the fence was made so that you cannot see inside it. i really did not notice anything out of the ordinary except that there were two places that the asphalt (the base was all on asphalt) that had been cut out and replaced somewhat recently. i will be uploading pics of it later. one was older than the other. the newer one had some spray paint on it marking some kind of lines, but it could easily have just been power lines. there were also some boxes outside of the fenced in area that are for the power i guess, but they were not near where the new asphalt was. i did not do a speed test on any of these towers, though.

second tower-38.80361947903347, -90.8502737666955

i paid a little more attention to this one. it was surrounded by dirt, and i did not notice anything that looked like new cables had been run. this tower only had what looked like two cabinets inside the base. so i am pretty sure it was not the 3g/4g integrated cabinet. there was very little equipment at this location. but it did have a bundle of what looked like were small wooden planks in it. i have no idea why that was there. i also noticed that there were a lot of tire tracks on the road leading to the fence, and they looked pretty recent. but from what i can see, the tower has nothing lte related on it.

misc. towers-just random towers i took pictures of while driving. no, i was not the one driving! lol. i didnt pay attention to what carrier the towers were, i just took pictures. these pictures are probably useless.

i just went to the tower located at 38.81556294090631, -90.82388442099315 and could not find it on the building it is supposedly on. i got as close as i can, but the building is a factory and i cannot get access to the inside of the fenced in area due to security.

i also want to clarify that i am allowed to post the coordinates of the towers i visited. i do not want to be breaking any rules by posting them on a non-sponsor forum, but as far as i am aware, it is fine. please correct me if i am wrong and i will remove the coordinates from this post. thanks!

edit(last one, i promise):

pictures-https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlssas844z98gdc/towers.zip

• Like 1

How do i become a sponsor? I can help with info from towers in the metro east....from Alton to Collinsville and Collinsville to Granite City. How do i know where the towers are? Just tell me what I need to do and I'll do it.