Network Vision/LTE - Austin Market

t3lancer2007

2bcac316b954be236c105d5d3ed92fe4.jpg

Just now. B41 - central Austin a few minutes north of campus

Wow. I did those tests near south I-35 near Onion Creek. How is your ping so low? In all of Austin I've always seen 90-100. Was that the grande Austin server?

Sent from my Shiny Band 41 capable Space Gray iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Off the tower near my house. This is what it spits out during the daytime.

You have to be on Band 25 getting those speeds.  Speeds are not like that on B41 all over Austin.

The only time I drop to 3g is when I go into a big box store. I travel from Manor to Fredericksburg regularly. My LG g3 has been great.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

iPhones dislike holding onto weak LTE unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise it will latch on to 3G and not let go.

You have to be on Band 25 getting those speeds. Speeds are not like that on B41 all over Austin.

Obviously. I didn't even bother putting a field test because it isn't b41. I know it isn't. Never had Clear coverage at my house.

Obviously. I didn't even bother putting a field test because it isn't b41. I know it isn't. Never had Clear coverage at my house.

You started talking about crappy B41 speeds early this morning.  So you are saying that no matter where you go in Austin area, B25, B26 and B41 are slow.  I disagree with you.  B25 may be slow inside your house.  But B26 is average speed and B41 is fast throughout most of Austin.

Personally, it makes no difference to me if my AT&T LTE is fast or slow inside my house, because I use WiFi.  I just want a steady LTE signal everywhere I go.

You started talking about crappy B41 speeds early this morning. So you are saying that no matter where you go in Austin area, B25, B26 and B41 are slow. I disagree with you. B25 may be slow inside your house. But B26 is average speed and B41 is fast throughout most of Austin.

Personally, it makes no difference to me if my AT&T LTE is fast or slow inside my house, because I use WiFi. I just want a steady LTE signal everywhere I go.

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Sure I was complaining about slow b41. I just would like to see how others non b41 speeds are. Also that test was on b26 not b25. B25 & B26 are saturated at my house. B26 has been there since February. No Telco serves my house for Internet. Any data I get is put towards productivity, and it would be useful to see high speeds in the near future. I'm not in anyway saying all of Austin is slow. I really wouldn't know anyway. Most of my time is in south and east Austin. I hardly ever go north.

Jumping in here since I'm in-market...

While some areas (very few) still have coverage/throughput issues on any band, and indoors/at the cell edge B41 has issues depending on where you are (I blame not having 8T8R equipment), speeds where I go (NW part of town, downtown, east of 183) are generally solid. I've also seen 60/15 on B41 in a few places, and 30+/8+ downtown on the same, on both my N5 and my Tab 4.

Has Sprint upgraded all ex-CLWR sites to B41 LTE? Nope...my apartment gets 8-25 Mbps on B25 and 10-16 Mbps on B26. But I also hit 70/16 on B41 a couple miles away, though that cell mainly covers 360 rather than the shopping centers nearby.

Nice thing about B41 is that it can handle plenty of load when set up properly, e.g. at the Dell Diamond Sunday; I was pulling 3-5 Mbps in an over-filled stadium while everyone else's phones were refusing to work (that stadium doesn't have public WiFi).

• Like 4

Thats not what I'm saying at all. Sure I was complaining about slow b41. I just would like to see how others non b41 speeds are. Also that test was on b26 not b25. B25 & B26 are saturated at my house. B26 has been there since February. No Telco serves my house for Internet. Any data I get is put towards productivity, and it would be useful to see high speeds in the near future. I'm not in anyway saying all of Austin is slow. I really wouldn't know anyway. Most of my time is in south and east Austin. I hardly ever go north.

That's what you started to say when you initially posted the Crappy B41 Speeds thread that I merged with this one.  That aside, it is only B41 additions at Sprint Network Vision sites with B25 and B26 that will improve experiences.  Sprint B25 network with one 5MHz channel is exceptionally overburdened.  

However, that is the same speed that Verizon's B17 LTE network runs around here, and it's a 10MHz channel.  All networks need more capacity than their original band.  Not just Sprint.  That's why AT&T, Sprint and Verizon are all adding capacity with additional bands.  And all have slow spots as a result.  And Tmo is widening their channels and adding other bands now too.

That's what you started to say when you initially posted the Crappy B41 Speeds thread that I merged with this one. That aside, it is only B41 additions at Sprint Network Vision sites with B25 and B26 that will improve experiences. Sprint B25 network with one 5MHz channel is exceptionally overburdened.

However, that is the same speed that Verizon's B17 LTE network runs around here, and it's a 10MHz channel. All networks need more capacity than their original band. Not just Sprint. That's why AT&T, Sprint and Verizon are all adding capacity with additional bands. And all have slow spots as a result. And Tmo is widening their channels and adding other bands now too.

I don't quite understand. Wouldn't a old clear site with b25 and 26 improve user experience when b41 is added too? Nobody is perfect as of now.

I don't quite understand. Wouldn't a old clear site with b25 and 26 improve user experience when b41 is added too? Nobody is perfect as of now.

When it is added, it will improve the existing B25/B26 some.  It depends on the adoption rate of Triband devices in the area.  It depends on whether the adjacent sites have B41 too and whether the B41 is able to overlap signal some.  In some cases, it has not improved B25 at all.  But the people that are able to get on the new B41 sure notice the difference.  Night and day.

When it is added, it will improve the existing B25/B26 some. It depends on the adoption rate of Triband devices in the area. It depends on whether the adjacent sites have B41 too and whether the B41 is able to overlap signal some. In some cases, it has not improved B25 at all. But the people that are able to get on the new B41 sure notice the difference. Night and day.

I must have a faulty device.

What I've seen with b41 on my iPhone.

I doubt that's the case.

Just curious, how much data do you use on average? Its possible you may be seeing the results of Sprint's new network management. Higher pings and lower throughput is a result if you are using a burdened site, and are a high data user.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I doubt that's the case.

Just curious, how much data do you use on average? Its possible you may be seeing the results of Sprint's new network management. Higher pings and lower throughput is a result if you are using a burdened site, and are a high data user.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I've only used 2 gb 5 days into my billing cycle.

I've only used 2 gb 5 days into my billing cycle.

Only....

That puts you at about 10-15GB per cycle. That puts you in the top 5% of users, and certainly means you may be subject to throttling.

I use 3-5GB on a VERY heavy use month. Typical is 2-3.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Only....

That puts you at about 10-15GB per cycle. That puts you in the top 5% of users, and certainly means you may be subject to throttling.

I use 3-5GB on a VERY heavy use month. Typical is 2-3.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Consider I have no wifi at my house and cannot get Internet. Also 10-15 is pretty low but its understandable now that the network has slowed down. I used to use 40-60 gb. On a 5s too! That's how fast the network used to be.

Consider I have no wifi at my house and cannot get Internet. Also 10-15 is pretty low but its understandable now that the network has slowed down. I used to use 40-60 gb. On a 5s too! That's how fast the network used to be.

I understand you don't have another option for data. Just surprised when you said 2GB in 5 days!

Until more carriers are added to ease congestion, don't be surprised if your pings remain higher than others. Your data requests are probably getting lower priority. Sucks that you don't have WiFi at home.

Are there any WISPs in the area that you know of?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I understand you don't have another option for data. Just surprised when you said 2GB in 5 days!

Until more carriers are added to ease congestion, don't be surprised if your pings remain higher than others. Your data requests are probably getting lower priority. Sucks that you don't have WiFi at home.

Are there any WISPs in the area that you know of?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I remember when I first got my 5s though, on a new line. It had a high ping 90-100. Obviously means dynamic core balancing and saturation are the culprits. (maybe) My personal record was around 10 gb in a week. I don't know how I did it. Tell me about it :( I know of two wisps, but it's questionable what service they would provide and I'm not even sure they could provide me with service.

So, surprised this thread has popped up again so suddenly. Using my Nexus 5 on B26 and B41 has been awesome so far!  If I get stuck on a completely upgraded tower then, yeah, speeds suck. So far the norm has been 10-15Mbps for B26, 2-10 for B25 (biggest variance) and very regularly 30+ for B41. I travel pretty much all around town once or twice a month for work. So since I have had service this has been roughly my speedtest history. A few I deleted because I took them while carpooling and it didn't finish before going to another tower which caused SUPER low speeds. My nexus 5 seems to want to camp on B41 as much as possible which has resulted in a really great experience in Austin. South Austin is stronger for B41 than North Austin but B26 in North Austin feels like it has better coverage.

Problem areas? Austin airport is horrendous and inexcusably slow. Only b25 still there I believe. I noticed timeouts in way S. Austin on the way to Kyle. Burleson rd/290 has a few really bad towers.One B26 tower there doesn't appears to have 56k modem for backhaul. It'll be the tower you connect to near Mckinney Falls.

A few speedtests/screenshots. You can see the multiple speedtests for a few places by the time they were done (1 minute after the other).

B26 Near Seton on 38th (fastest b26 spot I've seen in Austin)

jIDQIdyl.png

JznIQRNl.png

B41 Near Torchy's on William Cannon (fastest B41 i've seen in Austin)

UUQlcVOl.png

Overloaded B25 tower on my way to work (see the higher upload?)

vzlcfbal.png

Speedtest list page 1(now with Lollipop!)

pS1RneJl.png

Speedtest list page 2

MT8qP2ql.png

Speedtest list page 3

3rfrkYkl.png

Speedtest list page 4

X9wws6wl.png

/edit: Account usage has been 15-18 GB per month over the last 2 months

Oh and the easy rule of thumb for B41 sites in Austin that I have seen is higher than 100 ping = clear site. Dunno if it is because they chain a bunch of microwave stuff for backhaul or what but Clear sites (like the super fast one posted above) seem to have high pings. 

• Like 1